Orange is the new President

Painboy

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Painboy » 10 Oct 2017, 22:20

That's fuckin ridiculous.

I think his entire mode of communication is to make sure anything you say he has to one up it.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Oct 2017, 22:27

I will never understand how that is considered less ridiculous than Michael Dukakis in the tank.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Warren

Post by Warren » 10 Oct 2017, 23:48

thoreau wrote:
10 Oct 2017, 22:27
I will never understand how that is considered less ridiculous than Michael Dukakis in the tank.
Perhaps it isn't. But the alternative to Dukakis was Bush the Greater.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2017, 00:27

I think the measure of how dysfunctional the Trump administration is is how many people have left already:

I cannot think of any administration that has reached this level of entropy so quickly.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Oct 2017, 05:14

Well Bharara was an Obama appointee who would’ve been replaced anyway.

Also he’s the suit-thug behind Woodchippergate.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 06:54

I believe that initially Bharara had spoken with Trump and had received indication that he could stay.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Oct 2017, 10:06

the innominate one wrote:
11 Oct 2017, 06:54
I believe that initially Bharara had spoken with Trump and had received indication that he could stay.
This is correct.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Oct 2017, 10:45

Even without counting Bharara, the Trump White House is churning like a Wall Street Boiler-room.

I can smile at the dysfunction and be satisfied that little will really be accomplished, but it means that the administration is going to continue to lurch unpredictably. Particularly WRT Iran and North Korea, this worries me.

Also, there is bound to be some foreign crisis sooner or later, I don't want Trump's reaction based on the opinion of the guy who happened to be standing beside him at the moment it broke.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 11 Oct 2017, 15:28

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 11 Oct 2017, 16:33

No one tell this guy about black metal.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 17:34

I continue to hate people.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 21:14

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... nt/542613/

25th amendment, section 4. now. if not now, before it's too late.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 11 Oct 2017, 21:28

11 Oct 2017, 21:14
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... nt/542613/

25th amendment, section 4. now. if not now, before it's too late.
Ain't gonna happen so long as Republicans control Congress. Even Corker only bothered speaking out against Trump after deciding he wasn't going to run for re-election. Those bastards would sooner see the country fail with them in power than succeed under someone else.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 11 Oct 2017, 21:52

I am darkly amused to live in a country where a major topic of debate is whether a high government official called the head of state "a moron" or "a fucking moron."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 22:29

Jennifer- section 4 can be invoked by the cabinet. They don't have to wait for congress to act.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 11 Oct 2017, 22:50

This is what happens when a sociopathic huckster starts to go senile.

On good days, it's kind of hilarious. On bad days, I think back to one of the late Senator Fred Thompson's most famous parts:

"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 11 Oct 2017, 23:22

11 Oct 2017, 22:29
Jennifer- section 4 can be invoked by the cabinet. They don't have to wait for congress to act.
In that situation, all he has to do to un-invoke it is to send a letter to Congress saying "hey guys, I'm still the Pres, lol." Then, they can un-un-invoke it by sending another letter, at which point Congress has 48 hours to reconvene, and 21 days to decide the issue. So, unless you have Congress on your side, you might as well not do it.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 11 Oct 2017, 23:48

I'm aware, but that doesn't falsify my statement. The cabinet doesn't have to wait for congress, they can act without congress, and they can force the issue. I'd bet if the cabinet invokes the 25th amendment, congress would go along. But Congress wouldn't act first.

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Oct 2017, 00:51

11 Oct 2017, 23:48
I'm aware, but that doesn't falsify my statement. The cabinet doesn't have to wait for congress, they can act without congress, and they can force the issue. I'd bet if the cabinet invokes the 25th amendment, congress would go along. But Congress wouldn't act first.
You think the GOP could wrangle up 100 Reps and 19 Senators to get to the 2/3rds they'd need to make it stick? I don't buy that for a second.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 13 Oct 2017, 10:49

Nate Silver puts Trump's approval ratings under 38%. The trend has been steadily downward from the mid-forties shortly after his inauguration. Based on that, he is in landslide loss territory, but I suspect that a certain degree of sportsbar TEAM stuff would add to his numbers.

The thing I note is that every other president whose numbers went negative early in their first term was usually dealing with a recession. Trump has a growing economy. If the economy sours, I suspect his numbers will plummet further.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Oct 2017, 10:58

Trump apparently thinks, or at least has made a statement to the effect that improvements in the economy equate to reduction in the national debt. I won't be surprised if wishful thinking on the part of those on his side makes this a new received truth.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Oct 2017, 11:18

Trump would lose in a landslide against <INSERT UN-NAMED GENERIC DEMOCRAT HERE>.

He might have a chance against a flesh-and-blood Democrat that he's spent a year taking shots at in the media.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 13 Oct 2017, 11:33

Maybe the press won't give him as much free airtime as during the last campa..hahahahaha.

Sorry, I amuse myself.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 13 Oct 2017, 13:26

The key is that the next Democratic nominee for President won't have been on a 8+ year path that was more coronation than contest.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Oct 2017, 13:46

Kolohe wrote:
13 Oct 2017, 13:26
The key is that the next Democratic nominee for President won't have been on a 8+ year path that was more coronation than contest.
I'd replace 8+ with 16+, but yeah.
--Jake