Orange is the new President

Taktix®

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Taktix® » 29 Sep 2017, 13:04

Thanks for the heads up. Sure enough, using the proposed exemptions, my taxable income would increase by about $5k:

EDIT: I guess I'll just have to see what the child tax credit increase looks like, but yeah, this looks like neutral at best and a tax increase for me at worst, but not by much if at all. Hell, I might even be in favor of it if they really were getting rid of some of the extraneous deductions and things, but to please one constituency or another, a lot of that stuff is staying.

Instead, upon further review, it looks like a lot of unnecessary shell-shifting at the bottom while reducing the corporate rates, the estate tax, etc. I don't know why one necessitates the other since this reform is not purporting to be revenue neutral, other than maybe trying to punish by tax those mythical welfare queens who have kids to acquire additional tax deductions?
Last edited by Taktix® on 29 Sep 2017, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2017, 13:26

This is not Zinke's first government T&E snafu.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 29 Sep 2017, 13:45

The librarian may have had one or two decent points in rejecting Melania Trump's book donations, but she poisoned it by coming across as the most smug, asshole-ish SJW imaginable: "My school is perfect, and you're clearly an ignorant racist who needs re-education, and I'm just the person to do it."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 17:54

Which is the better headline, "The Price is wrong" or "Another one bites the dust"?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Sep 2017, 20:32

Mo wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 13:26
This is not Zinke's first government T&E snafu.
That's a helluva grudge for a SEAL admiral to throw him under the bus like that on the record. Either Zinke habitually rubs people the wrong way or there's some other longstanding warfare community fight in the late 90s that this is just a facet of. (Which would not be unprecedented either)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 20:34

I am surprised the GOP is not forthcoming with money for Puerto Rico. Not getting them up on their feet asap and maybe wiping out their debt is a good recipe for three or four hundred thousand Republican hating U.S. citizens resettling in Florida.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Sep 2017, 20:51

And calling Mexicans rapists and unifying your coalition around Joe Arpaio is a good recipe to lose Texas in 10 years. They still do it. They're in "win now" mode.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 21:16

Shem wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 20:51
And calling Mexicans rapists and unifying your coalition around Joe Arpaio is a good recipe to lose Texas in 10 years. They still do it. They're in "win now" mode.
That's a more remote than something which is an almost guaranteed way to lose Florida in 2020 and Rubio in 2022.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2017, 21:37

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 20:34
I am surprised the GOP is not forthcoming with money for Puerto Rico. Not getting them up on their feet asap and maybe wiping out their debt is a good recipe for three or four hundred thousand Republican hating U.S. citizens resettling in Florida.
Haha, you think the administration is smart enough to figure that out. Basically, the only people who can think that far ahead aren't hard core partisans.

Rubio is pulling Ileana Ros-Lehtinen survival moves. He's been all over Puerto Rico and making sure he's being seen as helping out.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Sep 2017, 21:48

I don't even think Trump grasps that they're citizens there.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 21:49

Not the admin, just any other pol.

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2017, 21:54

Rubio does and I'm sure other Florida pols do. None of them GAF about Trump any more. And at this point being too close to Trump is toxic.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Sep 2017, 22:03

Yeah, still if Florida moves solid blue for the next five elections it's bad for the whole GOP.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Sep 2017, 22:10

You would think whoever is running the GOP's strategy both at the Florida and national levels would be concerned
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Mo

Post by Mo » 29 Sep 2017, 22:14

You'd also think that that person would be smart enough to quietly give Moore campaign money instead of having supportive quotes from Republicans in purple states that can be superimposed over, "Sandy Hook was God's punishment for being nice to gheys," audio.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Sep 2017, 02:05

Shem wrote:
29 Sep 2017, 21:48
Even if he knows -- they can't vote.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Sep 2017, 02:19

Jennifer wrote:
Shem wrote:
They can if they have to move to Florida....
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 30 Sep 2017, 02:34

thoreau wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 02:19
Jennifer wrote:
Shem wrote:
They can if they have to move to Florida....
Indeed, but Trump doesn't strike me as the foresightful type.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 09:36

Will be amazing if anyone continues to defend Trump following the PR screw up and the PR-related p.r. screw up.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 30 Sep 2017, 09:52

nicole wrote:
28 Sep 2017, 17:26
You have to hand it to Trump, he knows exactly what will get the yokels to accept, nay, celebrate a deal that is not actually great for them. Just give them an excuse to be aggrieved by the blue staters who pay for their...splendor.
This is true.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Sep 2017, 10:41

Can't remember where I saw it, but the best comment thus far on Trump and Puerto Rico is that the gang that can't get diesel to a nearby island under US control thinks it can credibly threaten Iran and North Korea.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 30 Sep 2017, 12:10

Counterpoint - we were able to make Iraq look like post-Maria Puerto Rico.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Sep 2017, 13:36

the innominate one wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 09:36
Will be amazing if anyone continues to defend Trump following the PR screw up and the PR-related p.r. screw up.
Prepare to be amazed.

"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Re: Orange is the new President

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Sep 2017, 14:10

Mo wrote:It's not even banning Venezuelans, it just bans their government officials. Also, the NK ban is pointless because they are all SK dual citizens by SK law and dual citizens are excluded.
And how does a North Korean prove he is a South Korean by law? By showing the authorities his North Korean passport?

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 30 Sep 2017, 15:14

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
30 Sep 2017, 14:10
Mo wrote:It's not even banning Venezuelans, it just bans their government officials. Also, the NK ban is pointless because they are all SK dual citizens by SK law and dual citizens are excluded.
And how does a North Korean prove he is a South Korean by law? By showing the authorities his North Korean passport?

Psychically transmitted over the aether via highly sophisticated magic.
If everyone in NK is an SK citizen, that would work. It is a loophole that swallows the rule.