Orange is the new President

Kolohe

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 21:47

The picture isn't a problem. He posted it before the game. If I were going to a game and announcing on social media "hey I'm going to the game" I'd probably also use a pic of me and my wife at the last time we were at a game.

(Now, I'd also probably go to my hometown teams game at least once a year, instead of every 3 years, if I were some sort of big shot)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 08 Oct 2017, 22:06

Pence should stop making me agree with Joe Scarborough.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Oct 2017, 22:32

Motherfucker made me agree with Bill Kristol today.

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Oct 2017, 23:58

And he picked one of the teams that are more or less guaranteed to do it, rather than going with one of the teams on their schedule who have more or less done everything they can to avoid courting this sort of thing.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Oct 2017, 00:01

Kolohe wrote:
08 Oct 2017, 22:32
Motherfucker made me agree with Bill Kristol today.

TFW you get dunked on by Mr. Stole Your Imperialist Foreign Policy Framework.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 00:40

Trump and Pence aren't leaders, they're followers: they follow the prejudices and biases of their base.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2017, 11:42

"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Shem

Post by Shem » 09 Oct 2017, 11:55

By NEIL IRWIN
MAY 11, 2017

90% sure we talked about this when it happened.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 12:00

Unpopular opinion: Hillary was right. Trump, his team, and his supporters are pretty deplorable.

E.P.A. Announces Repeal of Major Obama-Era Carbon Emissions Rule

https://nyti.ms/2y5Irp0

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Oct 2017, 12:02

Shem wrote:
By NEIL IRWIN
MAY 11, 2017

90% sure we talked about this when it happened.
We did. I just added it to this post for some context on his etymological claims.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 15:43

the innominate one wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:00
Unpopular opinion: Hillary was right. Trump, his team, and his supporters are pretty deplorable.
Hillary being right on this one doesn't mean that she is not a 'deplorable' in her own right.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Oct 2017, 15:55

She is not comparably deplorable though. Since MAGA started picking up steam I've felt this way. MAGA is what exactly? Close the borders? Islamophobia? Trade war? The return to a state where everyone can grab ladyparts without repercussion? All those things are deplorable. There's nothing positive in the vision at all.

I'm willing to draw distinctions between true maga types and strategic anti hillary people in that regard - I think the latter are deluded but not deplorable per se - but, yeah, deplorable has always been there.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 16:03

Valid point. I do consider Trump worse than a putative Clinton administration would have been.

I think we can agree that Washington DC is overdue for the SMOD.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 16:29

JasonL wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 15:55
There's nothing positive in the vision at all.
There's anti-elitism, deregulation, tax relief.
Not that much will come of any of that, but the same can be said of the deplorable stuff too.
Also HRC is by far the more deplorable. If only because she could accomplish more deplorable things she set out to do.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 09 Oct 2017, 16:34

the innominate one wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 12:00
I'm not sure that's an unpopular opinion, outside of the people who angrily jump up to point at Blues whenever a Red does something wrong.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Oct 2017, 16:47

Warren wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 16:29
JasonL wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 15:55
There's nothing positive in the vision at all.
There's anti-elitism, deregulation, tax relief.
Not that much will come of any of that, but the same can be said of the deplorable stuff too.
Also HRC is by far the more deplorable. If only because she could accomplish more deplorable things she set out to do.
What deregulation was important to the coalition? What has even been discussed? Tax relief in the form of larger debt is not good at these margins of tax rates and debt.

I'm pretty sure down in weeds of "what exactly do you mean by anti elitism" that's all deplorable too.

Maybe something like everything is either deplorable or incoherent?

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 16:51

As PJ O'Rourke said to explain why his Republican self would vote for Hillary over Trump: Hillary would be wrong about almost everything, but at least she'd be wrong within normal parameters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Oct 2017, 16:54

JasonL wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 16:47
What deregulation was important to the coalition?
Yeah his "core" are boobs. And it's disconcerting because we haven't seen that particular brand of boobage in American politics in a few generations. But honestly I find everybody's cheerleaders to be boobs and MAGA boobs don't scare me any more than than the Hope and Change boobs did. The Religious Right scared me for a long time, and while they're still around, I feel their power has dissipated.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 16:58

Warren wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 16:54
JasonL wrote:
Yeah his "core" are boobs. And it's disconcerting because we haven't seen that particular brand of boobage in American politics in a few generations. But honestly I find everybody's cheerleaders to be boobs and MAGA boobs don't scare me any more than than the Hope and Change boobs did.
The Hope and Change folks never talked about such things as "This federal judge is clearly unqualified because he's a Mexican," or had their candidate speak approvingly of them when they beat up a homeless man in his name, or joined literal Nazi marches, or....
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 17:10

Anti-elitism worked so well under W, so let's do it again.

Hey, you know who else is anti-elitism? Bernie Sanders. You should vote for him.

Increasing the tax burden on the middle and lower classes isn't tax relief.

Reducing regulations doesn't guarantee an unalloyed improved outcome. Reducing pollution regulations will likely result in an increased health cost burden, usually on the lower class, which is often passed on to taxpayers.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Oct 2017, 19:24

Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Yeah his "core" are boobs. And it's disconcerting because we haven't seen that particular brand of boobage in American politics in a few generations. But honestly I find everybody's cheerleaders to be boobs and MAGA boobs don't scare me any more than than the Hope and Change boobs did. The Religious Right scared me for a long time, and while they're still around, I feel their power has dissipated.
What scares me most about the MAGA boobs is that they seem proud of their own ignorance. They know that they don't know and don't care that they don't know.

What scares me most about the Hope and Change boobs is that they are convinced of their own wisdom. They don't know what they don't know and dismiss the possibility that they don't know.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 09 Oct 2017, 20:50

Aresen wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:24
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:
What scares me most about the MAGA boobs is that they seem proud of their own ignorance. They know that they don't know and don't care that they don't know.

What scares me most about the Hope and Change boobs is that they are convinced of their own wisdom. They don't know what they don't know and dismiss the possibility that they don't know.
I feel like they don't just not know. They take pride in firmly believing things they know are bullshit. It is some serious next-level willful ignorance.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 09 Oct 2017, 20:58

Yes. There's no intellectual honesty or conceptual consistency from a major chunk of the right except to piss off the other side. I don't get that impression from most liberals in their policy preferences, even if they do enjoy pissing off the right as a hobby. I like seeing John Oliver or whomever make clear who the idiots are, as long as it comes back to some semblance of rationality about how the world works. Not saying Oliver and leftists are perfect, but usually far better near their median mass. The right keeps getting crazier, and an increasing fraction of the left is going crazier in the opposite direction in response, hence the violent elements of Antifa and the newly erupted campus craziness of the last several years.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Oct 2017, 21:11

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 20:50
Aresen wrote:
09 Oct 2017, 19:24
Warren wrote:
JasonL wrote:

I feel like they don't just not know. They take pride in firmly believing things they know are bullshit. It is some serious next-level willful ignorance.
Yup. And, based on the Trumpsters I'm acquainted with, they actually get angry at anyone who points out that the bullshit is bullshit.

I know I've mentioned this before, but: I stopped giving Trumpsters any benefit of the doubt after that Phoenix rally, because Trump committed some ludicrously obvious lies (like claiming that the very news networks which aired his speech were NOT airing it, because "they" don't want anyone hearing his brilliant words). There is NO wiggle room there -- no room to honestly say "Huh, I don't see anything racist about the dog-whistling in his speech," nothing. He told a ludicrous bald-faced lie -- yet the Trumpsters still stood by him, and got annoyed at those who pointed out it was a freakin' lie.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 10 Oct 2017, 06:38

:lol:
Slip inside a sleeping bag.