Orange is the new President

Shem

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Shem » 31 May 2018, 20:33

dhex wrote:
31 May 2018, 18:48
Also people are hung up on the cunt thing rather than the subsequent suggestion that she put on a revealing outfit so her father will pay attention.

Like one of those things is waaaaaaaaaaaay worse.
Ehhhhhhh, if you don't want incest jokes, don't make comments to Howard Stern about how you'd totes fuck your daughter if you weren't related to her.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

dhex

Post by dhex » 31 May 2018, 20:47

Yeah no I mean you'd think anyone not trump would point to that before cunt but the c word is I guess still toxic in the US enough that it has some persuasive power.

Power above "go seduce your dad" .

Jesus fucking Christ
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 01 Jun 2018, 00:28

thoreau wrote:
31 May 2018, 20:01
lunchstealer wrote:
31 May 2018, 19:17
Stewart is fine by me because she wasn't even charged with a crime. She didn't have real insider knowledge of the company she traded, and didn't have any real duty not to act on the tip that the CEO was dumping his stock for some unknown reason. But Comey just couldn't leave well enough alone, so he blustered and got her to fib to cover the tracks of her not-crime, and then slammed her for that.
Sure, on some level I don't object to pardoning her.

I fundamentally object to prioritizing her case over countless others. She's doing fine in life. Her criminal conviction isn't holding her back. Pardoning her is valid but low-priority. If he pardons a rich friend, and does so while Mueller is going after a whole bunch of his friends to get at his misconduct, and does so after being shown the case of a person who's suffering far more, that just reinforces everything we already know.

So, good for Stewart, but fuck that guy.
A lot of Trump associates are vulnerable to being charged with lying to the FBI. This is probably why he wants to pardon people who were convicted of lying to the FBI.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2018, 01:02

And that is another reason why I am not all that enthusiastic about pardoning Martha Stewart. For all the bullshit that the feds can pull on people by charging them with lying to the FBI, there's also a lot of bullshit that a President can pull by pardoning friends and allies who lied to the FBI.

If the next President wants to pardon Martha Stewart, fine. Hell, if this President wants to do it on his way out, fine. But if he does it while Mueller is poking around, we all know what is going on.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 01 Jun 2018, 02:13

thoreau wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 01:02
If the next President wants to pardon Martha Stewart, fine. Hell, if this President wants to do it on his way out, fine. But if he does it while Mueller is poking around, we all know what is going on.
Yeah, it's not like she's in prison or anything.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 01 Jun 2018, 03:24

Trump wants to impose a complete ban on German luxury cars.

He also wants this:

"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Jun 2018, 03:36

He also seems to have taken on some part time work at a coffee shop in a college town.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jun 2018, 14:39

I just came across this. It may be old, but I thought it was perfect.

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2018, 15:28

JFK should be corned beef and cabbage.
--Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 02 Jun 2018, 17:20

The original group that spawned the term 'cracker' included the Irish, so it's not that neceessary.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Jun 2018, 17:28

I like the cheese doodle. It's says, "Calling Donald Trump a 'cracker' is an insult to white trash".
Bitch about Brexit to your hearts content, but stay out of my historical movies. - Nick Hodges

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 02 Jun 2018, 19:16

I don't even know where to start with this one.Image
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Jun 2018, 19:42

To begin with: He was ridiculed and mocked before he announced he was running.

Also, if you have zero humility, how can you be humiliated?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jun 2018, 01:30

I'm just confused how this whole Trump-as-great-man idea came into being.

Fucking second year of his presidency, and I still don't get it. He was always a punchline, going back to the eighties, and then suddenly he's some admirable figure. Was replacing a black president that important to people?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 03 Jun 2018, 03:31

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 01:30

Fucking second year of his presidency, and I still don't get it. He was always a punchline, going back to the eighties, and then suddenly he's some admirable figure. Was replacing a black president that important to people?
Sort of, but when you sprinkle Hillary-flavored Jimmies all over the top of it, and threaten them with a third Bush in the primary?

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jun 2018, 04:20

lunchstealer wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 03:31
Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 01:30

Sort of, but when you sprinkle Hillary-flavored Jimmies all over the top of it, and threaten them with a third Bush in the primary?
I've heard straight-faced references to "Hitlery", so I suppose so.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2018, 05:18

I also think much of it has to do with "triggering the libs." I don't know if this counts merely as "extreme partisanship" or something more pathological, but a lot of right-of-center people really do seem to believe "Anything which upsets a 'liberal' must therefore be a good thing." And liberals definitely do not like Trump; ergo he must be a great guy.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 03 Jun 2018, 07:12

Jennifer wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 05:18
I also think much of it has to do with "triggering the libs." I don't know if this counts merely as "extreme partisanship" or something more pathological, but a lot of right-of-center people really do seem to believe "Anything which upsets a 'liberal' must therefore be a good thing." And liberals definitely do not like Trump; ergo he must be a great guy.
Oh, the "triggering the libs" and "fuck your feelings" people are definitely a big part of how he won...but those people don't seem to go on about how Trump is great or amazing; they just seem to gloat about how angry Blues are.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jun 2018, 11:27

Trump won because there's been a skepticism of the neoliberal post cold war international order in the Midwest since Ross Perot ran for prez, and Trump is the first major party candidate to indulge that skepticism when the other person did not.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 03 Jun 2018, 11:28

(That skepticism does include a not inconsiderable amount of racism)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 03 Jun 2018, 18:16

Eric the .5b wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 07:12
Jennifer wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 05:18
Oh, the "triggering the libs" and "fuck your feelings" people are definitely a big part of how he won...but those people don't seem to go on about how Trump is great or amazing; they just seem to gloat about how angry Blues are.
I dunno -- the ones I've seen (on Facebook and other social media) have a LOT of overlap there: the Blues are angry precisely because Trump is so amazing and wonderful (and thwarting their evil Bluish plans to wreck America and all that makes it great). I think I even understand where their attitude comes from -- it's the flip side of the same coin that led me to feel much schadenfreude when, for example, the Stormfronter-types absolutely lost their shit when Obama was first elected. Or the schadenfreude I felt over the wailing and gnashing of teeth certain homophobes expressed after the Obergefell decision -- "Y'all are feeling this anger precisely due to the same things I view as signs America is heading in the right direction."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 04 Jun 2018, 12:27

Ah, so that's the secret to job security in the Trump administration! Make sure that the boss knows you bought all your furnishings from his hotels!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 834b71ddc3
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Jun 2018, 12:33

Hupp wanted to know how much the hotel would charge EPA chief Scott Pruitt for purchasing one of its used mattresses
Ew?

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 04 Jun 2018, 15:06

Oh, boy! This would be awesome to watch unfold.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Jun 2018, 23:42