Orange is the new President

Painboy

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Painboy » 16 Jan 2018, 22:38

Mo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 20:18
I think 'white middle class' includes going to church (not mosque or temple), eating American food (not curry and shit) and speaking exclusively unaccented (unless the accent is a local accent) English.
Exactly.

"Weird" looking people aren't that big a deal for most part if they have similar customs and languages. However, weird looking people with weird customs and speaking weird languages is a pretty big Other for a lot of people to deal with.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jan 2018, 23:10

Painboy wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 22:38
Mo wrote:
I think 'white middle class' includes going to church (not mosque or temple), eating American food (not curry and shit) and speaking exclusively unaccented (unless the accent is a local accent) English.
Exactly.

"Weird" looking people aren't that big a deal for most part if they have similar customs and languages. However, weird looking people with weird customs and speaking weird languages is a pretty big Other for a lot of people to deal with.
Like the French. :P
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 23:25

Painboy wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 22:38
Mo wrote:
Exactly.

Except, basically any outsider is an other. A Southern Baptist in California or an Irish Catholic in rural Alabama are otherish.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Jan 2018, 23:27

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 16 Jan 2018, 23:47

They must have forgotten those extra loopy parts that make a 3 into an 8.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 Jan 2018, 23:50

Goddamnit, I was hoping they'd find some sort of terrible illness and announce that he only has a few months before he relocates to the extra-warm shithole where Nixon's hanging out these days.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 Jan 2018, 23:55

Trump's 'cognitive tests' just gave me one more reason to question the validity of intelligence testing.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Mo

Post by Mo » 17 Jan 2018, 00:03

Girther 4 life.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 17 Jan 2018, 00:58

Aresen wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 23:55
Trump's 'cognitive tests' just gave me one more reason to question the validity of intelligence testing.
It's not an intelligence test. It's a basic mental functioning test.

The doctor confirmed that he's coherent enough to know who he is and where he is. He can name animals and replicate basic shapes. He's a functional human being.

But we knew that already. For all that Trump is kind of a mess, no one thinks he's actually so mentally incompetent that he needs to be moved into a nursing home for his own protection. He's not gonna wander into the street because he forgot how cars work.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jan 2018, 01:23

Jadagul wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 00:58
Aresen wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 23:55
It's not an intelligence test. It's a basic mental functioning test.

The doctor confirmed that he's coherent enough to know who he is and where he is. He can name animals and replicate basic shapes. He's a functional human being.

But we knew that already. For all that Trump is kind of a mess, no one thinks he's actually so mentally incompetent that he needs to be moved into a nursing home for his own protection. He's not gonna wander into the street because he forgot how cars work.
I know. But let me enjoy my joke.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 17 Jan 2018, 10:40

Mo wrote:
16 Jan 2018, 11:16
Wat?!?!? How does someone not "Kirstjen Nielsen" claim they don't know that under oath.

I wouldn't assert a 'common knowledge' fact under oath, and I think her reply was acceptable "I would imagine that's the case" .

nicole

Post by nicole » 17 Jan 2018, 12:28

uhhhhh I'm pretty sure cheating on Melania is one of the least bad (and least surprising) things he has ever done
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jan 2018, 19:02

It's somewhat mildly surprising because I would have guessed that Melania is the one that has longstanding Eastern European mob connections that would be happy to do a favor for her. (or maybe that's why it seemed to stop after 2007).
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 Jan 2018, 21:09

Kolohe wrote:
17 Jan 2018, 19:02
It's somewhat mildly surprising because I would have guessed that Melania is the one that has longstanding Eastern European mob connections that would be happy to do a favor for her. (or maybe that's why it seemed to stop after 2007).
Nah, suspect it was more "so, I get all the benefits of being a trophy wife, but I don't have to funnel that fucker out on the regular? This has literally no downside. Just get a monthly STI test and fuck whoever."
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

nicole

Post by nicole » 18 Jan 2018, 14:32

because of course he was

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 14:40

nicole wrote:because of course he was

Who else could get away with all of this?

He's the Teflon Don.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 14:58

He did warn us about immigrants.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 19:01

The Stormy Daniels details are why people believed the gorilla channel stuff.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 19:49

Mo wrote:
18 Jan 2018, 19:01
The Stormy Daniels details are why people believed the gorilla channel stuff.
Can you be more specifics? I haven't followed all the details that closely, because there are some images that I try to avoid for my own sanity.
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jan 2018, 20:11

Discovery Channel got ahead of the shark week story by literally leaving town.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 20:12

He purportedly made Daniels watch 3 hours of Shark Week and had her spank him with a copy of Forbes that he (along with his family) was on the cover of. That and the Bloodsport story are only moderately more ridiculous than the Gorilla Channel (which would be awesome).

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jan 2018, 20:20

1,098 days to go

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jan 2018, 20:21

I'm kind of surprised she was willing to shut up for a mere $130k. I'd think that she could get more for silence a month before the election.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-lawy ... 1516315731
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2018, 22:43

Question for Kolohe, since Trump is CinC and Dr. Jackson is a naval doctor, could Jackson be ordered to make bad numbers sound better than they are? The girther jokes are funny and all, but when Stanford's director of cardiology is throwing shade, it seems more serious.