Post by Aresen » 02 Nov 2017, 11:33

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:21
Mo wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 09:30
dbcooper wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 22:14
Your political adverts are wild.
Political ads are weird as a genre. Who would believe a commercial that said, "Walmart sucks and hates white people," paid for by Target or "Five Guys tastes like ass," paid for by the McDonald's victory fund?
I believe those are true, except Walmart is indifferent to white people.
I believe you mean "Walmart is indifferent to white people who drink lattes."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Painboy

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Painboy » 02 Nov 2017, 12:46

It's missing truck nuts, Calvin peeing on a Ford/Chevy logo, and a bumper sticker reading "America is Full!"

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 02 Nov 2017, 12:49

Way to paint with a broad brush PB. Do you mean Ford or do you mean Chevy.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2017, 12:53

I ... don't actually see a problem with that ad. Isn't Gillespie one of the Trumpster-types whose ads bang the "Latinos = scary MS-13 gang members" drum? If one candidate plays the "we should all fear minorities" angle, he shouldn't be surprised -- let alone offended -- to discover some of those minorities might also fear him.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 02 Nov 2017, 13:07

Jennifer wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 12:53
I ... don't actually see a problem with that ad.
Because of course you don't.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2017, 13:13

Warren wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 13:07
Jennifer wrote:
I ... don't actually see a problem with that ad.
Because of course you don't.
Your critique is impeccable as always. But I notice you did not quote my explanation of why I didn't find it a problem: given the anti-Latino bigotry espoused by Gillespie and his idol Trump, of course a Latino organization is going to have problems with that. Maybe even find it genuinely frightening.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Nov 2017, 13:31

the ad is ridiculous, but the message isn't. it's just done poorly. or maybe really well. would have to see how it performs with intended audiences.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Nov 2017, 13:46

The imagery is a terrible mishmash. Why are all these kids having the same dream? Why is it the cinematography this realistic? Why can we see the driver's face so clearly? You could make a commerical that was 20 seconds shorter and genuinely shocking with exactly the same message if you cut the planeteers down to one kid (go with a Latina) and go full-in on the nightmare aspect. The commercial as filmed is just soaked in narm.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

nicole

Post by nicole » 02 Nov 2017, 13:48

The ride-hailing services Uber and Lyft barred a far-right activist who complained about Muslim Uber and Lyft drivers after Tuesday's terrorist attack in New York City that was carried out by a man authorities identified as a former Uber driver.

Uber told Business Insider in a brief email on Wednesday that Laura Loomer — a former Project Veritas activist who has more than 100,000 Twitter followers — had been barred for violating the platform's community guidelines.

Lyft also told Business Insider in an email that it had deactivated Loomer's account.
http://www.businessinsider.com/uber-ban ... ed-2017-11
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:54

Jennifer wrote:
I ... don't actually see a problem with that ad. Isn't Gillespie one of the Trumpster-types whose ads bang the "Latinos = scary MS-13 gang members" drum? If one candidate plays the "we should all fear minorities" angle, he shouldn't be surprised -- let alone offended -- to discover some of those minorities might also fear him.
Well the main problem is that it likely blew up in their face.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 02 Nov 2017, 13:54

dhex wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 13:31
the ad is ridiculous, but the message isn't. it's just done poorly. or maybe really well. would have to see how it performs with intended audiences.
A Twitter search for "Gillespie ad" (no quotes or hashtags) shows roughly 99 percent disgust -- but a random look through those people's Twitter bios shows most of the outrage comes from people who were already Trump supporters or MAGA types, who'd never consider voting Democrat anyway.

Last night, however, I saw more pro-ad takes on Twitter, plus criticism of the idea "Bigotry is okay, but condemning it is not."

Also, it's possible I take a slightly different view because I live in Georgia these days, and a few months after I got here, some white rednecks were sentenced to prison because shortly after Dylann Roof's massacre, a bunch of them formed a mini-convoy of pickup trucks festooned with Confederate flags and spent a couple days driving through minority neighborhoods, culminating with stopping the convoy in front of a black kid's birthday party and pointing guns at the participants. When shit like this happens in real life, an ad suggesting certain kids might actually be afraid of white guys who still display prominent Confederate flags in today's political climate doesn't sound far-fetched at all.

Though on second watching, I'll concede the "Don't Tread on Me" flag was a bit much. Most of my comment is based upon my first-watching impression.

EDIT: And saw Shem's comment posted in the interim.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Nov 2017, 14:01

Aresen wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:33
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 11:21
Mo wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 09:30
dbcooper wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 22:14
Your political adverts are wild.
Political ads are weird as a genre. Who would believe a commercial that said, "Walmart sucks and hates white people," paid for by Target or "Five Guys tastes like ass," paid for by the McDonald's victory fund?
I believe those are true, except Walmart is indifferent to white people.
I believe you mean "Walmart is indifferent to white people who drink lattes."
Everyone drinks lattes. And insofar as Walmart isn't indifferent to anyone it's the same way that a lion isn't indifferent to a gazelle.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Nov 2017, 14:01

in 30 seconds you could do a whole lot with the message around "we don't fear those who love our country. we fear those who think it involves hating our children."

i mean, fuck. give me a 20k budget and i'll kill it dead.
"The sort of passion for the Constitution that in a juster world would require him to introduce himself to all his new neighbors every time he moved." - eric b sans rakim

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 02 Nov 2017, 14:11

My political ad re immigrants would be "hey rednecks, you live in America's asshole. Wherever your kind are, it's the asshole. Any sane person would kill themselves rather than live there. No immigrants will go there, save for much better doctors than you would otherwise have or, indeed, deserve, forced into your tiny aging hospital by America's weird medical training system. Don't worry, their children will leave as soon as the graduate from your "school" since they can read and have parents that love them. Vote Northam if you want to continue to have your insulin and oxy."
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 02 Nov 2017, 14:28

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 14:11
My political ad re immigrants would be "hey rednecks, you live in America's asshole. Wherever your kind are, it's the asshole. Any sane person would kill themselves rather than live there. No immigrants will go there, save for much better doctors than you would otherwise have or, indeed, deserve, forced into your tiny aging hospital by America's weird medical training system. Don't worry, their children will leave as soon as the graduate from your "school" since they can read and have parents that love them. Vote Northam if you want to continue to have your insulin and oxy."
That is awesome.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 02 Nov 2017, 14:28

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
For some reason, I don't quite think you'd get the same amount of credit for "being willing to tell it like it is" that Trump gets...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 14:33

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Been rereading your copy of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?
Last edited by the innominate one on 02 Nov 2017, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 02 Nov 2017, 14:34

scorched earth would generate clicks.

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 15:18

Clovis withdrew his nomination. Can Trump find someone even worse?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 02 Nov 2017, 15:22

And reportedly Trump is blaming Jared for his bad advice causing the investigation.

Shem

Post by Shem » 02 Nov 2017, 15:56

the innominate one wrote:
02 Nov 2017, 15:22
And reportedly Trump is blaming Jared for his bad advice causing the investigation.
That came straight from Bannon, and we all know how Bannon feels about Jews the cosmopolitan. So, I'm taking it with a grain of salt for now.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 02 Nov 2017, 22:29

nicole wrote:
01 Nov 2017, 15:49
What a fucking prize she is

Good God. My old racist grandmother would have thought that was a bit far...
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 03 Nov 2017, 09:41

Trump in a deposition when asked about his "greatest memory in the world"

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 03 Nov 2017, 10:56

Dunning-Kruger in full effect.

nicole

Post by nicole » 03 Nov 2017, 11:21

Interesting.
The Republican tax plan hasn't met the expectations of advocates for "family-friendly" tax reform. Its child-credit provision is disappointingly small, in the eyes of Sen. Marco Rubio, and it abolishes the adoption tax credit altogether.

But there is one provision that could be construed as "pro-family": a tax penalty for divorce.

The tax bill released Thursday would change the tax treatment of alimony. Currently, alimony is tax-deductible for the paying spouse and taxable to the receiving spouse. But if you get divorced after the plan is enacted, that would change: Alimony would be paid out of after-tax dollars and would be tax-free to the recipient.

This change would tend to increase the total amount of tax paid by divorced couples, since the ex-spouse who pays alimony is typically the one with the higher income and who faces a higher tax bracket.
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-go ... ty-2017-11
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman