Orange is the new President

Aresen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 23 Mar 2018, 14:20

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
22 Mar 2018, 18:53
Bolton.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- (this joke would work better on Twitter)- uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Damn. I saw this post yesterday, but didn't know what you were referring to.

Now I do.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Mar 2018, 15:48

I think my response was "oh jesus fucking christ"
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 23 Mar 2018, 16:02

Really, is anybody surprised? I honestly don't know if the tangerine knows who any of his appointments are. Someone says to him, "fill this position with person X" and he does. How else do you explain Pai or DeVos?
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 16:12

To the extent that the Bolton appointment presages the policies that Trump will allow, yeah, it's bad juju.

OTOH, here's an interesting thread suggesting that Bolton himself is not particularly dangerous:

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Mar 2018, 16:24

But I don't want to play "Global Thermonuclear War."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Mar 2018, 16:56

I hope his opinions are strong enough that he ends up fired in short order for not kissing Trump's ass.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Mar 2018, 21:05

Kwix wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 16:02
Really, is anybody surprised?
Apparently Bolton was.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 21:25

TIL Fox News has ethical standards.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Mar 2018, 21:38

Sandy wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 16:56
I hope his opinions are strong enough that he ends up fired in short order for not kissing Trump's ass.
My fear is that Bolton's advice will play to all of Trump's worst foreign policy prejudices.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 21:55

We should not under-estimate Bolton's ability to piss people off. Or Trump's ability to turn against people that he used to like if he thinks that they're starting to act like big-shots.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Mar 2018, 21:56

thoreau wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 21:25
What inspired this?
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 21:59

Jennifer wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 21:56
thoreau wrote:
What inspired this?
Shem's link.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Mar 2018, 22:10

thoreau wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 21:55
We should not under-estimate Bolton's ability to piss people off. Or Trump's ability to turn against people that he used to like if he thinks that they're starting to act like big-shots.
I hope you are right. But Trump has been making 'tough guy' noises about Iran and North Korea since the day he assumed office. Bolton's views feed right into that.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 22:25

I'm not about to place any bets against war. I can still see Trump doing the worst. But I'm choosing to hang on to the hope that maybe, just maybe, he's too incompetent to satisfy his raging war-boner.
--Shem

Jake

Post by Jake » 23 Mar 2018, 22:46

If Mueller's investigation gets too scary for Trump, and then Fox preempts Fox and Friends with a showing of "Wag the Dog," we're doomed.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 23 Mar 2018, 23:25

thoreau wrote:
Well, an ethical standard. I have yet to see serious evidence for a plural on that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Mar 2018, 23:46

--Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2018, 00:27

thoreau wrote:
23 Mar 2018, 22:25
I'm not about to place any bets against war.
I am. I am highly confident we won't be attacking either Iran or North Korea.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2018, 02:32

I go back and forth on whether Stormy Daniels matters. On the one hand, she isn't telling us anything that we didn't already know about him. Everyone knew in 2016 that he was the sort of guy who cheated on his wife and spent money to clean up messes.

On the other hand, this scandal is already at the "Trump's lawyer now needs a lawyer" stage, and we're also at the "Trump even tries to stiff his lawyers" stage. That is the surely one more reason why Trump is finding it harder and harder to retain lawyers.

What will ultimately destroy him is not The One Big Revelation, but the constant torrent of shit that makes people lose the will to defend him. This seems to be part of that. And Stormy Daniels has no intention of going away, she knows how to get attention, and she long ago made her peace with the fact that lots of people will judge her.
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 27 Mar 2018, 11:46

Who will play Stormy Daniels and win the Best Actor Oscar for it in ten or fifteen years?
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Mar 2018, 12:35

Regarding Brezhnev's funeral, much hated movie mogul Harry Cohn's funeral attracted most of Hollywood and when asked about the turn out Red Skelton apocryphally said "It just goes to show you. Give the people what they want, and they'll show up."

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 27 Mar 2018, 13:33

CNN has reported that Trump's approval rating is up. What the fuck, people?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 27 Mar 2018, 13:35

Number 6 wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 13:33
Expectations had gotten so low that there was nowhere else to go. (my wild-ass guess)
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2018, 13:37

At this point, if it came out that he masturbated with Putin dolls while talking on the phone with a guy helping him launder stolen money, people would be like "Yeah, well, for him this is pretty good, I guess. Go Donny!"
--Shem

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Mar 2018, 16:35

Number 6 wrote:
27 Mar 2018, 13:33
Statistical noise, I'd guess.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen