Orange is the new President

Hugh Akston

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aresen wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 14:48
Jennifer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 12:55
Unsurprisingly, the narcissist-in-chief wants his own hotels to be bailed out with coronavirus money.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-t ... 90bc4cdddf
If things really go down the hole, I want the government to execise eminent domain and sieze all the Trump hotels for use as emergency hospitals.
But only for low-income patients of color.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 16:25
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Unsurprisingly, the narcissist-in-chief wants his own hotels to be bailed out with coronavirus money.

If things really go down the hole, I want the government to execise eminent domain and sieze all the Trump hotels for use as emergency hospitals.
Except Doral. That should only be for Trump voters to experience his super classy bedbug services. These are the best bed bugs you've ever seen. They're great, really perfect. Not as perfect as the call, but pretty good.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - Also JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

lunchstealer wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 16:55
Hugh Akston wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 16:25
Aresen wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Except Doral. That should only be for Trump voters to experience his super classy bedbug services. These are the best bed bugs you've ever seen. They're great, really perfect. Not as perfect as the call, but pretty good.
I would have said turn the Trump hotels into hospitals for Trump voters, but they would have a hard time getting a room for that Blacks for Trump guy in every single one.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Donald Trump has a bizarre answer as to why Dr. Fauci was not at coronavirus briefing: ‘He doesn’t not disagree with me’
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

An inspirational quote from the President of the United States, demonstrating his leadership during this time of pandemic: "You want ventilators and masks from the federal government's reserves to treat your citizens? Well, governors have to treat me well, it's a two-way street."

I'd really like to hear how the Trumpsters and "Hillary would've been worse!" contingent justify that.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 14:08
An inspirational quote from the President of the United States, demonstrating his leadership during this time of pandemic: "You want ventilators and masks from the federal government's reserves to treat your citizens? Well, governors have to treat me well, it's a two-way street."

I'd really like to hear how the Trumpsters and "Hillary would've been worse!" contingent justify that.
Yeah that's one right up there with trying to get scientists to develop a vaccine "only for the U.S." Have to not let it cross my mind too much because it's too enraging. There's incompetence and selfishness, and then there is evil.

I can't believe no one can get it across to him that it is no longer about him, and hasn't been for a while. I kept thinking that surely there must be some sane republicans that could get through to him but I underestimated the extent to which he really succeeded at driving all of them away.

ETA: and as for Trumpsters, they take delight in anything that hurts CA and NY, so I don't expect any reflection on that. This is his baby on 5th Ave and they're all in.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Jennifer wrote:

Same way they've justified every other crude, gross, thoughtless, asshole remark he's made in the past five years I 'spect.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

I want to go cough on him.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

dead_elvis wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 14:17
Jennifer wrote:

Yeah that's one right up there with trying to get scientists to develop a vaccine "only for the U.S." Have to not let it cross my mind too much because it's too enraging. There's incompetence and selfishness, and then there is evil.

I can't believe no one can get it across to him that it is no longer about him, and hasn't been for a while. I kept thinking that surely there must be some sane republicans that could get through to him but I underestimated the extent to which he really succeeded at driving all of them away.

ETA: and as for Trumpsters, they take delight in anything that hurts CA and NY, so I don't expect any reflection on that. This is his baby on 5th Ave and they're all in.
Yeah, even by the standards of those with narcissistic personality disorder, Trump is appallingly bad. Trying to manipulate people or the economy is one thing (the economy, after all, is 100 percent a human invention) -- but you can't manipulate a fucking virus like that.

I'd long had this vague idea that even the worst narcissists could at least accept PHYSICAL reality -- I mean, it's one thing to believe "The rules of man don't apply to me, because I'm rich and well-connected whereas you're a poor nobody" -- that really does often save the rich guy from criminal consequences -- but viruses don't give a shit about your politics or net worth or how popular you are among other members of your species.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Highway

Post by Highway »

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 14:24
Jennifer wrote:

Same way they've justified every other crude, gross, thoughtless, asshole remark he's made in the past five years I 'spect.
"Hahaha, pwnd!"
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

And here I was hoping that this was the thing that was going to bring down his presidency.

President Trump is as popular as he's ever been right now
In the Gallup poll, 60% of Americans approve of the job Trump is doing in handling the crisis while 38% disapprove of how he has done. Six in 10 independents approve of how Trump has done on the coronavirus as do more than 1 in 4 (27%) of Democrats. In the Monmouth poll, 50% say Trump has done a good job with coronavirus while 45% said he has done a bad job.
The heightened approval for how Trump has managed this crisis -- particularly among independents and even Democrats -- is what is pushing up his overall approval numbers, which have been largely stagnant for years.
Granted the crisis is still young and lots of things can change.

JD

Post by JD »

Unfortunately I think whenever there's a crisis, people tend to flock to the alpha monkey.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Highway

Post by Highway »

Is it just that people don't pay attention? I just can't fathom anyone hearing what that piece of garbage says about the virus and saying "oh yeah, I'll go along with that." Is it just that he's on TV more and "Hey, he's on TV, he must be in charge."?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Yeah my intuition is that during a crisis people want/need there to be leadership, and will defer to the person who happens to occupy the leader's office even when he can't remember what he went in there for.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:24
Yeah my intuition is that during a crisis people want/need there to be leadership, and will defer to the person who happens to occupy the leader's office even when he can't remember what he went in there for.
We should be just fine with President Biden in that case!

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Highway wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 15:29
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

"Hahaha, pwnd!"
And let's not forget "Hillary's emails."
Hugh Akston wrote:
In ordinary circumstances, sure. ("Ordinary" meaning, whatever was the status quo under any previous POTUS dating back to at least, say, Eisenhower.) But ordinarily, the thing is that whatever complaints you could justifiably make about how the president and his administration handled a particular crisis -- even an utter clusterfuck like Bush and Katrina -- you could truthfully say at LEAST one of these two statements: "At least they're trying to help" or "At least they're trying to look like they're trying to help."

Kanye West infamously went on live TV and said "Bush doesn't care about black people" -- which is quite different from Bush himself going on live TV to announce "I don't care about black people. I accept no responsibility for what's gone wrong. If you people in New Orleans want help, you'd better tell your mayor and governor to be nicer to me. It's a two-way street, you know." And in neither case did this result in overwhelming numbers of black Americans responding by doubling-down on their cultlike devotion to one Pres Geo. W. Bush.

But many of the people who, statistically speaking, are far more likely to die or suffer severe lifelong problems if they get covid-19 are the same ones who remain supporters of Trump and his GOP sycophants -- for one recent facepalming example, I have not seen any indication that Texas' Dan Patrick is losing support among the right-wing AARP demographic despite his saying they ought to be happy to die to save the economy for their grandchildren.

Tl:dr: I can't recall any other time when Americans or anyone else so overwhelmingly supported a leader whose explicit message was "You personally are on your own, and probably should drop dead."

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:47
Highway wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 15:29
Hugh Akston wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

"Hahaha, pwnd!"
And let's not forget "Hillary's emails."
Hugh Akston wrote:
In ordinary circumstances, sure. ("Ordinary" meaning, whatever was the status quo under any previous POTUS dating back to at least, say, Eisenhower.) But ordinarily, the thing is that whatever complaints you could justifiably make about how the president and his administration handled a particular crisis -- even an utter clusterfuck like Bush and Katrina -- you could truthfully say at LEAST one of these two statements: "At least they're trying to help" or "At least they're trying to look like they're trying to help."

Kanye West infamously went on live TV and said "Bush doesn't care about black people" -- which is quite different from Bush himself going on live TV to announce "I don't care about black people. I accept no responsibility for what's gone wrong. If you people in New Orleans want help, you'd better tell your mayor and governor to be nicer to me. It's a two-way street, you know." And in neither case did this result in overwhelming numbers of black Americans responding by doubling-down on their cultlike devotion to one Pres Geo. W. Bush.

But many of the people who, statistically speaking, are far more likely to die or suffer severe lifelong problems if they get covid-19 are the same ones who remain supporters of Trump and his GOP sycophants -- for one recent facepalming example, I have not seen any indication that Texas' Dan Patrick is losing support among the right-wing AARP demographic despite his saying they ought to be happy to die to save the economy for their grandchildren.

Tl:dr: I can't recall any other time when Americans or anyone else so overwhelmingly supported a leader whose explicit message was "You personally are on your own, and probably should drop dead."
Obviously they're interpretation of what they're hearing is different than others' interpretation. Also it's pretty well documented there are people out there who know what comes out of Trump's mouth isn't always true or smart to follow. But they accept that because they think he's in their corner. They're not all fools.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Painboy wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:56
But they accept that because they think he's in their corner. They're not all fools.
Excluding the small numbers of "they" who have net worths of at least eight figures, AND are considered personal friends/bigtime donors of Trump -- those two sentences contradict each other: the majority of MAGA-hat types are fools (or abysmally, willfully ignorant) if they think Trump is in their corner. Especially the many MAGAs who fall into one of more of the high-risk categories for covid-19.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Copy/paste of something I wrote on another thread:

Basically: I can understand (though of course deplore) supporting a leader who says "Let's make those other people suffer, so folks like you and me will be fine." But what Trump and the GOP are saying in regard to covid 19 includes a lot of "Let's make YOU, personally, suffer, so me and some other people will be fine."

Bear in mind that as of a couple of days ago, saying that the likes of Dan Patrick, or Brit Hume and Glenn Beck et al, want old people to "drop dead" to save the economy -- "drop dead" is a paraphrase, but it is not an exaggeration at all. And while I can understand why certain callous (and arrogant) young people might support men who say such things, I don't fucking understand how so many old people are still supporting these men and their cronies -- not even because they agree "Yes, I shall sacrifice myself for the greater good of the stock market" but because they think it'll own the libs. Seriously, what the fucking FUCK?

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:16
Painboy wrote:
But they accept that because they think he's in their corner. They're not all fools.
Excluding the small numbers of "they" who have net worths of at least eight figures, AND are considered personal friends/bigtime donors of Trump -- those two sentences contradict each other: the majority of MAGA-hat types are fools (or abysmally, willfully ignorant) if they think Trump is in their corner. Especially the many MAGAs who fall into one of more of the high-risk categories for covid-19.
What are you talking about? He does do what they want him to do. All that border and immigrant shit we've been talking about for the last 3+ years? Not being PC and "calling it like it is"? That's all MAGA stuff. Has any other politician been as out spoken or effective with that crap? Of course he's in their corner.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Most every MAGA type is convinced that society is on the brink of collapse at any moment. It's all in the shitter guys. There are legions of people who don't work and make more than them from government benefits. And these people will always vote for more benefits for themselves and allow more people into this country that will keep right on voting for people who will keep on enacting these sweeping changes. The people who work are burdened by these others. And these people want to give their jobs to people who are of a different melanin count and want to take away their guns. And now there is a guy who is saying out loud what they have always thought.

I think we always knew these people existed in our every day life. We just didn't want to accept it. But they do and there is no way to reach these people as far as I can tell.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Painboy wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:24
Jennifer wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:16
Painboy wrote:
What are you talking about? He does do what they want him to do. All that border and immigrant shit we've been talking about for the last 3+ years? Not being PC and "calling it like it is"? That's all MAGA stuff. Has any other politician been as out spoken or effective with that crap? Of course he's in their corner.
[Sigh] Do I really have to explicitly point out to you that I am referring here specifically to those who continue to support Trump and Co. in regard to covid-19 and their handling of the matter thus far, despite said supporters' own increased risk from the disease? Just in case, let me copy and paste something I wrote upthread to demonstrate that:

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

He didn't lose support when his good and easy to win trade wars ankled agriculture exports and killed manufacturing jobs. Why would this cost him anything?

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:37
Most every MAGA type is convinced that society is on the brink of collapse at any moment. It's all in the shitter guys. There are legions of people who don't work and make more than them from government benefits. And these people will always vote for more benefits for themselves and allow more people into this country that will keep right on voting for people who will keep on enacting these sweeping changes. The people who work are burdened by these others. And these people want to give their jobs to people who are of a different melanin count and want to take away their guns. And now there is a guy who is saying out loud what they have always thought.

I think we always knew these people existed in our every day life. We just didn't want to accept it. But they do and there is no way to reach these people as far as I can tell.
Yeah, I think the belief in omnipresent welfare dependency is much wider among normies than a lot of people realize. I don't know if they actually like Trump, but they figure that he's the person that the supporters of the welfare state most despise, so he must be doing something right.
"There are so few people at the Federal Mall it's almost as empty as it was at Trump's inauguration."
--D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Hugh Akston wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:54
He didn't lose support when his good and easy to win trade wars ankled agriculture exports and killed manufacturing jobs. Why would this cost him anything?
Because (at least in theory), while they're all doing a great job of blaming Democrats for things like "holding up the stimulus bill" or any other economic complaints they have, presumably it should be harder to blame any Democrat for words which came directly (and only) from the mouths of the same right-wing men. And because "accurately knowing what exactly caused a given complicated economic outcome" is considerably more rarified and more requiring of thinking things through than knowing "am I sick, or not", "did I or my family recover from this virus, or not" and especially "Do I, or do I not, want to die rather than see the stock market tank on my behalf?"

(Reminder, I'm not talking only about support for Trump personally, but also Trump-adjacent culty beliefs such as "Glenn Beck/Brit Hume somehow not losing support even after telling their own (generally older) viewers that old people aren't worth saving if doing so will hurt the economy.")