Orange is the new President

Aresen

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Aresen » 06 Apr 2019, 15:57

Jennifer wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 13:42
Reminds me of something I saw on Twitter some time ago -- long after "Trump scandal du jour" was commonplace-- something to the effect of "Remember those movies from the 70s and 80s, where someone uncovers evidence of massive wrongdoing somewhere, then the movie ends with the guy giving all this information to various newspapers, and the implication was 'Now that the media will expose this wrongdoing, it's going to stop'?"
Actually, that trope goes back to the 1930s at least - Jimmy Stewart did it a couple of times. It was so tired that there were even anti-tropes where the new guy sweeps in and immediately starts doing the same as the old guy. (See Robert Redford in The Candidate (1972)).

But, if you really want to be depressed, go on Youtube and put in "Peter Popoff Exposed".
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 08 Apr 2019, 13:45

JasonL wrote:
06 Apr 2019, 10:15
I don’t think he’s brilliant at anything other than “how to make them the most mad possible”. I do think he’s pretty good at that.
I certainly can't argue with this.
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Apr 2019, 11:35

https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2019 ... on-1264073?
If Trump was impressed with Washington’s real estate instincts, he was less taken by Mount Vernon itself, which the first president personally expanded from a modest one-and-a-half story home into an 11,000 square foot mansion. The rooms, Trump said, were too small, the staircases too narrow, and he even spotted some unevenness in the floorboards, according to four sources briefed on his comments. He could have built the place better, he said, and for less money.
And despite his criticisms, Trump found something to like at Mount Vernon, too. Among the artifacts preserved there is the bed where Washington passed away from a throat infection in 1799. Trump, who is infamously picky about where he sleeps and resists spending nights away from home, felt out the bedpost and told the Macrons and Bradburn that he approved, according to three people briefed on the event.

"A good bed to die in,” Trump said.
He should start sleeping at Mt. Vernon. In fact, I'm sure that microbiologists could even provide some bacteria similar to the strain that Washington had in that bed.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 10 Apr 2019, 15:08

Shem wrote:
04 Apr 2019, 16:13
You're conflating two different things. What Maria Butina and flash drive woman did isn't work that would typically be done by someone in an espionage agency. It's done by assets and agents. The espionage officer's job is to cultivate assets and agents and leverage them to get information and accomplish tasks. You don't spend a fortune training a case officer and funding the development of their network of assets to put them in a position where they can get scooped up and lose every dollar of your investment and the lives and freedom of their assets in an instant. It's why the Valerie Plame affair was so appalling to intelligence agencies.
I am not up on the terminology, but I thought an "asset" or "agent" was somebody who was recruited because of their access to people/places/organizations that the agency would love to get access to. They have real day jobs and then they also provide some help to the agency. I thought they were different from people who are trained by the agency and report to it. I thought the later category of people had front jobs but spent most of their time doing something other than what they tell their friends and neighbors, whereas an "agent" has a real job with a real boss who has no idea what else they're up to.

For the Mar Lago job, since it's a place that you can go to if you buy admission or befriend (or manipulate) someone who has bought admission, I would have thought that they'd want someone with solid training to plant the malware. I don't mean a software engineer (I assume all that stuff was already tested ad nauseum) but someone who has spent a lot of time rehearsing scenarios, learning the names and faces of everyone they're likely to encounter, practicing excuses, and learning how to do whatever other tasks they may have had in mind besides leaving a USB stick in someone's laptop for 30 seconds or whatever. That's not someone who has a real day job and does favors for the agency. That's someone who has a front job and a whole bunch of time to practice and plan.

So I would have thought that they'd get someone who probably doesn't have a Chinese government ID badge but does have a front job that gives them lots of time for their real job.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Apr 2019, 06:49

If this includes the vault of buried Trump stories, some liberal billionaire could have a lot of fun with this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... story.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Apr 2019, 19:05

I don't usually read the comments on a news story but I'm really glad I did.

"We have a saying down south, when a kid is throwing a tantrum in public: "If that was my kid, I'd beat them." I mean obviously not, like.. beat them.

If Trump was my kid, I'd beat him
"
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2019, 19:40

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 19:05

"We have a saying down south, when a kid is throwing a tantrum in public: "If that was my kid, I'd beat them." I mean obviously not, like.. beat them.

"
I'd beat his mother.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Apr 2019, 19:44

Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 19:40
Pham Nuwen wrote:

"
I'd beat his mother.
By all accounts you'd have trouble beating her worse than Trump's dad did.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 Apr 2019, 19:45

Trump isn't my kid, but I'd be happy to beat him anyway.

I realize, though, that the Secret Service would probably insist that they have priority to beat him, since they have to put up with his shit all day.
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 17 Apr 2019, 19:46

Warren wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 19:40
Pham Nuwen wrote:

"
I'd beat his mother.
By all accounts you'd have trouble beating her worse than Trump's dad did. Of course the same is true of Trump, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 17 Apr 2019, 20:14

Speaking of Secret Service, we might just want those posts slipped behind the veil.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 17 Apr 2019, 20:16

Eric the .5b wrote:
17 Apr 2019, 20:14
Speaking of Secret Service, we might just want those posts slipped behind the veil.
Nah, I'm good. That wedding I went to last week, the groom is Secret Service.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Apr 2019, 00:54

There are probably still some good reasons to keep some threads behind the veil, but I'm thinking keeping prying government eyes away ain't one of them and hasn't been for a long time now.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Apr 2019, 01:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 00:54
There are probably still some good reasons to keep some threads behind the veil, but I'm thinking keeping prying government eyes away ain't one of them and hasn't been for a long time now.
I believe our records are kept on the "Mostly Harmless" drive.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Apr 2019, 02:22

Aresen wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 01:11
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Apr 2019, 00:54
I believe our records are kept on the "Mostly Harmless" drive.
Aresen knows where his towel is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 18 Apr 2019, 14:38

Yesterday I saw a sticker someone had put on a lamppost; it featured a photo of Trump, wearing a MAGA-style baseball cap, except that the text on the cap read "TO MAGA THERION". I got a laugh out of it.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

dhex

Post by dhex » 18 Apr 2019, 16:51

I'd lol too.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 19 Apr 2019, 06:03

Ha!

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Apr 2019, 11:32

The funny thing is that Republicans are actually proving that SJW stuff is more important than real issues. Stephen Moore's nomination is not being threatened by the fact that he is a wholly unqualified crank and hack, but that he wrote some sexist stuff in NR almost 2 decades ago. If you want people to focus on real crap instead of the SJW stuff is have the real stuff have consequences and the SJW stuff not have consequences. Instead it's the other way around.

Also, quality, principled move by NR to memory hole the old stories.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2019, 12:29

Mo wrote:
24 Apr 2019, 11:32
The funny thing is that Republicans are actually proving that SJW stuff is more important than real issues. Stephen Moore's nomination is not being threatened by the fact that he is a wholly unqualified crank and hack, but that he wrote some sexist stuff in NR almost 2 decades ago. If you want people to focus on real crap instead of the SJW stuff is have the real stuff have consequences and the SJW stuff not have consequences. Instead it's the other way around.

Also, quality, principled move by NR to memory hole the old stories.
Lol did they? I read them the other night. Wtf.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 Apr 2019, 12:32

The CNN links are from the Wayback Machine, if you look for article by Stephen Moore there's a giant gap between 2001 and 2003.

nicole

Post by nicole » 24 Apr 2019, 12:54

ahh
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 30 Apr 2019, 17:04

Buckle up everyone. Infrastructure Week is back.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Apr 2019, 17:33

Mo wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:04
In the middle of all the investigations and subpoenas? Bold move on his part.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Apr 2019, 17:50

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:33
Mo wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 17:04
In the middle of all the investigations and subpoenas? Bold move on his part.
You libertarians all think that you can just have a low-speed chase of a White Ford Bronco without any public infrastructure because the market will provide. Not so. Not so at all. You need public roads for that Bronco to drive on. You need air traffic controllers so the news helicopters don't collide. You need cable TV and high-speed internet running on cables that cross property lines with the help of innumerable local, state, and federal laws.

You can't have high-profile televised scandals without a whole mess of government infrastructure. I would prefer that you simply said thank-you and went on your way. Otherwise, grab a shovel. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to.
--Mo