Orange is the new President

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 09 Feb 2019, 08:15

About Trump owning properties and renting them out at “fair market value”
The committee paid a total of $700,000 to the Trump International Hotel for event spaces for four days in January 2017. At the time, a consultant working for the inaugural committee expressed her concern over email that the price quoted by the Trump hotel — $175,000 per day for several event spaces — was too high, as ProPublica and WNYC reported in December.

“Please take into consideration that when this is audited it will become public knowledge,” wrote Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, an experienced New York-based event planner, suggesting a fair rate for the event spaces would be at most $85,000 per day, less than half of what was ultimately paid. That fee did not cover catering.
https://www.propublica.org/article/trum ... -committee
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 27 Feb 2019, 15:11

"I think that your country has tremendous economic potential. Unbelievable. Unlimited," Trump told Kim, before the two men went for dinner at the French colonial-era Metropole Hotel.

"And I think," he added, "that you will have a tremendous future with your country — a great leader. And I look forward to watching it happen and helping it to happen."
(https://www.npr.org/2019/02/27/69854472 ... mit-kitsch)

Jesus MFing Christ. I know that a certain amount of nice-making is always part of international politics, but when you compare this to the kind of things he says to our allies...
Beep boop, you silly humans.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Feb 2019, 16:59

JD wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 15:11
"I think that your country has tremendous economic potential. Unbelievable. Unlimited," Trump told Kim, before the two men went for dinner at the French colonial-era Metropole Hotel.

"And I think," he added, "that you will have a tremendous future with your country — a great leader. And I look forward to watching it happen and helping it to happen."

Jesus MFing Christ. I know that a certain amount of nice-making is always part of international politics, but when you compare this to the kind of things he says to our allies...
I don't know. Maybe Kim IS Trump's ally.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 27 Feb 2019, 18:24

How dare Congress bring in someone to testify before the House when he previously was caught lying to Congress. Instead, he should be getting confirmed by the Senate for a job with the administration.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Feb 2019, 18:35

Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 18:24
How dare Congress bring in someone to testify before the House when he previously was caught lying to Congress. Instead, he should be getting confirmed by the Senate for a job with the administration.
Or a lifetime appointment to SCOTUS.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Feb 2019, 18:47

thoreau wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 18:35
Mo wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 18:24
Or a lifetime appointment to SCOTUS.
Or a pardon and a multi-million dollar job on the conservative lecture circuit/Fox News.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Feb 2019, 19:31

I think they should all have to do hard time in six-bedroom cells, no more than one round of golf a day and be served sirloin and cabernet-sauvignon instead of filet mignon and hennessy. (And NO chanterelles - just plain white mushrooms.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Feb 2019, 20:37

JD wrote:

Trump sees in Kim everything he wants for himself: absolute border control, a compliant state-run media, fawning yes-men who are publicly executed when they grow tiresome, well-attended military parades, yuge numbers for rallies and TV appearances.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 27 Feb 2019, 21:32

Aresen wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 16:59
JD wrote:

I don't know. Maybe Kim IS Trump's ally.
I've said it before how Trump relates to other leaders depends on the kind of leverage he has on them. If he feels he has a lot, like he does with Europe, he browbeats them and belittles them. If he doesn't feel he has much leverage, like with Russia or N. Korea, he tends to flatter and compliment. This is because Trump seems to possess essentially zero foresight and purely lives from moment to moment. Precedent means nothing to him.

Shem

Post by Shem » 27 Feb 2019, 21:55

I don't even think it's that conscious. I think there's a hole in his soul that he's desperate to fill with the praise he never got from his mother, and treating him like crap triggers him to try and win your over.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 27 Feb 2019, 23:27

I half honestly think the people around him are going 'heck, why not the full Nixon?' so in addition to Stupid Watergate, we also got Stupid Nixon Goes To China
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Feb 2019, 23:30

Shem wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:55
I don't even think it's that conscious. I think there's a hole in his soul that he's desperate to fill with the praise he never got from his mother, and treating him like crap triggers him to try and win your over.
I think it's only that way when he literally can't retaliate in some petty way. He'll take to twitter as soon as he's safely on air force one.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Feb 2019, 00:12

That Mark Meadows stunt, in response to Cohen calling Trump a racist, using a rando black staffer standing there and claiming that she doesn't think he's racist, is the most horrifically epic trolling I've ever seen...

ETA: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/02/ ... eople.html
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Feb 2019, 02:10

The article misses the best part: after getting called out on it in real time by another Representative, he insisted that pointing out the racism of his elevation of a random Trump staffer to the post of Pope of Black people was itself the true racist behavior. That's what got me blackout whiteout in the clueless white guy bingo game. I won a Ladysmith Black Mambazo Greatest Hits album.

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Feb 2019, 04:35

I love the “I’m not racist, I have minority nieces” play. Motherfucking Strom Thurmond had a black daughter.

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Feb 2019, 07:28

one weird bit from the cohen circus yesterday is the threatening letters to institutions not to violate federal law by releasing test scores and other protected educational records.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Shem

Post by Shem » 28 Feb 2019, 10:40

dhex wrote:
28 Feb 2019, 07:28
one weird bit from the cohen circus yesterday is the threatening letters to institutions not to violate federal law by releasing test scores and other protected educational records.
You mean given that FERPA already makes it super ultra mega illegal?

dhex

Post by dhex » 28 Feb 2019, 22:02

Yeah that
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 04 Mar 2019, 17:23

Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Mar 2019, 19:15

Could anything possibly be more purely TRUMP?

Trump signs Bibles during disaster tour of Alabama

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Hat tip to Jennifer whose FB post lead me to this story.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 09 Mar 2019, 10:36

Meanwhile, a massage parlor owner is selling access to parties at Mar Lago.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ar-a-lago/

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 12 Mar 2019, 15:43

Old Man Yells at Plane

@realDonaldTrump

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 12 Mar 2019, 15:47

Aresen wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 19:15
Could anything possibly be more purely TRUMP?

Trump signs Bibles during disaster tour of Alabama

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Hat tip to Jennifer whose FB post lead me to this story.)
I kinda yearn for the good old days when referring to Trump as a "narcissist" would inspire threadsful of Gryll-rage rather than a "thank you, Captain Obvious" kind of shrug.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Mar 2019, 15:55

lunchstealer wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 15:43
Old Man Yells at Plane

@realDonaldTrump

Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....
Yes, let's go back to the days when there were more airplane fatalities jackass.

Mo

Post by Mo » 12 Mar 2019, 16:16

Why don’t pilots wear goggles and scarves anymore?