Orange is the new President

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 25 Jul 2018, 11:01

Dangerman wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:14
Mo wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 14:17
Refusing to serve someone you despise is one of the joys of being the owner of a business. If I owned my own business, I would equally like to refuse business to Richard Spencer and the guy who bullied me when I was growing up.

I doubt that you would extend the joy of refusal (I bet 'joy of refusal' is a kickass word in Hauptdeutsch) along certain other lines right? Like for Jews or Catholics?
What is the difference between "Richard Spencer and the guy who bullied me when I was growing up" and "Jews or Catholics"? One includes individuals judged by their individual actions and the other is broad groups of people being judged based on collective guilt.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Jul 2018, 11:18

What's the difference between Trump and members of his administration?

Really, this is just another Freedom of Association argument that we don't need to have in this particular thread, and I apologize for baiting if that's how it came across. But for instance someone in this thread said (paraphrasing) 'migrants and lgbt people have a good reason to not serve Trump Administration Officials' as if everyone who works in the White House is actively advocating some horrific policies in a unique way that hasn't been done by White House staff in every other administration.

I think that your position, Mo, boils down to "If you join the Catholic church, I can't respect you because they are anti abortion and supportes sexual abuse and now you are too" which might be principled but is probably not broadly useful if we want a pluralistic society.

Mo

Post by Mo » 25 Jul 2018, 11:21

Dangerman wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 11:18
What's the difference between Trump and members of his administration?

Really, this is just another Freedom of Association argument that we don't need to have in this particular thread, and I apologize for baiting if that's how it came across. But for instance someone in this thread said (paraphrasing) 'migrants and lgbt people have a good reason to not serve Trump Administration Officials' as if everyone who works in the White House is actively advocating some horrific policies in a unique way that hasn't been done by White House staff in every other administration.

I think that your position, Mo, boils down to "If you join the Catholic church, I can't respect you because they are anti abortion and supportes sexual abuse and now you are too" which might be principled but is probably not broadly useful if we want a pluralistic society.
Sarah Sanders or Stephen Miller are quite a bit different than Joe or Jane intelligence analyst.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 25 Jul 2018, 11:30

edit

ok?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 25 Jul 2018, 14:56

I think you can reasonably differentiate between political appointees who came to work for Trump specifically and enthusiastically advance his agenda in bad ways vs lifetime civil servants who got a job working for the government with no expectation at the time that they'd be working under Trump (or just applied for a job through regular employment channels).

However, if someone just blanket banned all civil servants I'd be less 'holy shit that guy's just like the racists with the collective guilt collective judgement thing' and more 'dude you're taking this a bit far maybe dial it back a notch or ten?'

Denying service to military personnel would probably result in a massive market response regardless of my thinking on the matter.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 25 Jul 2018, 15:11

Dangerman wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 10:55
Re: Russia

"Russia", "Russian", and "a Russian" are different things. I think a lot of the hysteria has to do with not separating things done by people who might speak Russian, or live in Eastern Europe, with Official Acts Of Russia.

It's like thinking that 4chan is a organ of the US Intelligence Community.
Not every Russian person works for the Russian government. Not even all Russian businessmen work for/with the Russian government (though, in an illiberal system, many probably will). The lecturer with the Russian accent in the office down the hall from me does not (to my knowledge) work for the Russian government.

At the same time, Natalia Veselnitskaya does work for the Russian government. The GRU hackers who got the DNC emails do work for the Russian government. The Ukrainian politician who used Michael Cohen and Felix Sater to send a proposal on Crimea to Trump is, at a minimum, close friends with the Russian government. The former Russian military intelligence officer who works for Manafort in Ukraine never severed his ties to the Russian government.

The problem is not that Trump has a friend named Mikhail. It's that a whole lot of people who directly report to or have close ties with the Russian government have worked in his campaign, supported his campaign via illegal activity (hacking), or have gotten close to people in high positions in his campaign.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Jul 2018, 16:51

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 27 Jul 2018, 17:01

Trump seems to think the game of Monopoly is how real-world economics is actually supposed to work: mutually beneficial relationships are not possible, and the only way you can win is if everyone else loses.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Jul 2018, 17:07

Hey, if Trump says we're losing money on this I believe him. People tell me, amazing people, they tell me that he has the most experience with losing money.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Jul 2018, 17:13

There was a time when the CIA would remove any Latin American leader who said shit like that. If the boys at Langley are feeling itchy, well, I'm sure that Trump could get asylum in Soviet Russia.
--Shem

JD

Post by JD » 27 Jul 2018, 17:27

No wonder he likes Kim Jong Un so much; they think the same way about autarky. Actually, even North Korea seems to recognize the importance of trade these days, come to think of it, which puts us one down on them...
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 27 Jul 2018, 17:29

No one ever went broke overestimating the stupidity of Donald Trump.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Jul 2018, 20:14

From a guy on a bar stool who is into his fifth drink, the statement is facepalm-worthy.

From the POTUS, it is frightening as hell.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Aug 2018, 19:15

"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Aug 2018, 19:38

Please, O Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, let Q be John de Lancie.

Warren

Post by Warren » 03 Aug 2018, 19:58

Aresen wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 19:38
Please, O Great Flying Spaghetti Monster, let Q be John de Lancie.
cosign
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 03 Aug 2018, 20:13

I can't imagine how exhausting it must be these days to be a political reporter or someone who thinks politics is serious.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 03 Aug 2018, 20:30

I don't want to pick a fight but I really want to call my mom and ask her who Q REALLY is?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 03 Aug 2018, 21:11

Hugh Akston wrote:I can't imagine how exhausting it must be these days to be a political reporter or someone who thinks politics is serious.
Let’s pour one for the Ezra Kleins. Haha policy.

Shem

Post by Shem » 03 Aug 2018, 23:58

JasonL wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 21:11
Hugh Akston wrote:I can't imagine how exhausting it must be these days to be a political reporter or someone who thinks politics is serious.
Let’s pour one for the Ezra Kleins. Haha policy.
You know what they say about the tears of a Klein.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Aug 2018, 01:08

Where are the Kleins?
There ought to be Kleins?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 04 Aug 2018, 09:27

I’m pleased with the direction that took.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 04 Aug 2018, 16:11

I forget who it was that argued, in essence, "Trump can't be as guilty as he looks because if he were guilty, surely he wouldn't be stupid enough to let on that he was." but it looks like Paul Manafort's lawyer read this thread and latched on to that idea, because that's essentially what he's arguing: c'mon, would an actually guilty person be stupid enough to leave all this evidence of his guilt?

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... dings.html
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 05 Aug 2018, 09:59

From the "Trade Wars Are Easy to Win" File

American boat makers feel the crunch from Trump tariffs
NEWPORT, R.I. – MJM Yachts has already felt the sting of tariffs.

CEO Bob Johnstone was negotiating the sale of a 53-foot (16-meter), $2.2 million yacht to a buyer in Monaco when the European Union announced a 25 per cent tariff on American-made boats as retaliation for the Trump administration’s tariffs on imported aluminum and steel.

The deal is now dead. So is the Rhode Island-based company’s plan to expand sales into Europe.

American boat makers are getting pummeled on multiple fronts by tariffs and stand to be among the industries hardest-hit in an escalating trade war.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Aug 2018, 10:36

Aresen wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 09:59
From the "Trade Wars Are Easy to Win" File

American boat makers feel the crunch from Trump tariffs
NEWPORT, R.I. – MJM Yachts has already felt the sting of tariffs.

CEO Bob Johnstone was negotiating the sale of a 53-foot (16-meter), $2.2 million yacht to a buyer in Monaco when the European Union announced a 25 per cent tariff on American-made boats as retaliation for the Trump administration’s tariffs on imported aluminum and steel.

The deal is now dead. So is the Rhode Island-based company’s plan to expand sales into Europe.

American boat makers are getting pummeled on multiple fronts by tariffs and stand to be among the industries hardest-hit in an escalating trade war.
It was the economic devastation to the Luxury Yacht makers what sunk the 1991 luxury tax. If William Jefferson Clinton could feel their pain, certainly The Donald should.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT