Orange is the new President

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 12 Jul 2018, 10:49

That was the original color.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 12 Jul 2018, 10:56

Aresen wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 21:28
Jake wrote:
11 Jul 2018, 21:03
So what happens if we invite Russia to join NATO? Something bad, I assume? I don't know enough about the topic to identify what the likely bad thing would be.
It was considered in the 1990s. I can't remember who balked.

Overall, I really consider a massive Russian invasion of Western Europe unlikely. The (apparent) Putin Doctrine - any place with more than 20% ethnic Russians is properly part of Russia - applies to a few areas of Eastern Europe. The Baltic states are definitely at risk, but I doubt the Russians have any interest in anything west of Gdansk.
This would be my point as well. A full on Russian invasion isn't happening. We have to remember we're not talking about the Soviet war machine we're talking about a country with the GDP of Australia that also has a lot problems with their own military. The need for conventional forces is for a Crimea style land grab. Putin claiming some place needs "protection" or the like. NATO and it's countries just need a large enough conventional force to deter those kinds of moves. It's not a lot to ask, especially when the potential problems are in their own backyard.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 12 Jul 2018, 10:57

Mo wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:49
That was the original color.
YLSNED

I googled for an image of the previous version; I think Trump Force One will be a little less subdued than this:

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway » 12 Jul 2018, 11:00

Aresen wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:16
I wonder what effect this will have on DJT's twitter numbers:

Battling Fake Accounts, Twitter to Slash Millions of Followers
Twitter will begin removing tens of millions of suspicious accounts from users’ followers on Thursday, signaling a major new effort to restore trust on the popular but embattled platform.

The reform takes aim at a pervasive form of social media fraud. Many users have inflated their followers on Twitter or other services with automated or fake accounts, buying the appearance of social influence to bolster their political activism, business endeavors or entertainment careers.
Twitter has been banning over a million accounts per day for months, if not years. I doubt it will make much of a difference.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

nicole

Post by nicole » 12 Jul 2018, 11:08

Highway wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 11:00
Aresen wrote:
12 Jul 2018, 10:16
I wonder what effect this will have on DJT's twitter numbers:

Battling Fake Accounts, Twitter to Slash Millions of Followers
Twitter will begin removing tens of millions of suspicious accounts from users’ followers on Thursday, signaling a major new effort to restore trust on the popular but embattled platform.

The reform takes aim at a pervasive form of social media fraud. Many users have inflated their followers on Twitter or other services with automated or fake accounts, buying the appearance of social influence to bolster their political activism, business endeavors or entertainment careers.
Twitter has been banning over a million accounts per day for months, if not years. I doubt it will make much of a difference.
Part of the issue is the accounts they were locking were still showing up in follower counts.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 12 Jul 2018, 11:10

What does trust in twitter even mean? I trust I'm going to see a train wreck?

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jul 2018, 11:56

Cops got to expense a strip club visit, help themselves to some boob, then make an arrest that will score them political points.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/12/politics ... index.html
"The officers also observed Ms. Clifford fondling the breasts of female patrons," Franklin County Municipal Court records show.

When officers witnessed those activities, three detectives approached the stage. Daniels allegedly made her way toward two detectives, leaned over and grabbed their faces. She shoved each of their faces between her breasts, court documents said.
She fondled a third officer's buttocks and breasts, according to the documents, and then forced the officer's head between her breasts and smacked the officer's face with her breasts.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 12 Jul 2018, 13:08

This is not the first time an episode involving Stormy Daniels has resulted in a happy ending:

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 13 Jul 2018, 13:05

Check out @normative’s Tweet:

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 13:58

Nah, man, the only thing the Russians ever did was post shit from troll farms.
--Shem

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jul 2018, 14:05

It looks like trolling?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Jul 2018, 14:12

JasonL wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 14:05
It looks like trolling?
I know TDS is a thing on both sides of the aisle, but ... Can't quite tell if serious.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Jul 2018, 15:01

lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 14:12
JasonL wrote:
It looks like trolling?
I know TDS is a thing on both sides of the aisle, but ... Can't quite tell if serious.
Because a better answer is...he was publicly conspiring with the Russians? That seems a lot more far fetched than he was trolling.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jul 2018, 15:18

Painboy wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 15:01
lunchstealer wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 14:12
JasonL wrote:
It looks like trolling?
Because a better answer is...he was publicly conspiring with the Russians? That seems a lot more far fetched than he was trolling.
Further down on Julian Sanchez's tweet thread, he suggested it might be an example of "collusion in public" -- not one-on-one Sekrit back-channel communications, but them responding to Trump's public suggestions and innuendoes.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 15:33

It's quite likely that Trump knew what Russia was up to and was fine with it.

That should be at least a bit worrisome in head of government.
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 15:40

We know that Trump's son and campaign manager met with Natalia Veselnitskaya, as well as a few other people, arranged via Trump friends with contacts in Russia, because she supposedly had dirt on Clinton. We knew that when this meeting was arranged, an associate of the Trump family wrote:
This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.
http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/07/ ... ll-emails/

We know that when Donnie Jr. heard this, instead of saying "Wait, what? A foreign government illegally offering valuable support to our campaign? Call the FBI!" he was fine with it.

Is it completely insane to think that maybe, just maybe, Donald Trump knew what Russia was up to (beyond the troll farms, which I don't give one tenth of one shit about) and was OK with it?
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 13 Jul 2018, 15:51

thoreau wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 15:40
We know that Trump's son and campaign manager met with Natalia Veselnitskaya, as well as a few other people, arranged via Trump friends with contacts in Russia, because she supposedly had dirt on Clinton. We knew that when this meeting was arranged, an associate of the Trump family wrote:
This is obviously very high level and sensitive information but is part of Russia and its government's support for Mr. Trump - helped along by Aras and Emin.

We know that when Donnie Jr. heard this, instead of saying "Wait, what? A foreign government illegally offering valuable support to our campaign? Call the FBI!" he was fine with it.

Is it completely insane to think that maybe, just maybe, Donald Trump knew what Russia was up to (beyond the troll farms, which I don't give one tenth of one shit about) and was OK with it?
So he incriminates himself in public? I know Trump isn't the sharpest tool but that verges on suicidal. There are many, many, ways he could have signalled them if he wanted to with no one the wiser.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 16:05

It is quite likely that he thought he had deniability, that he could blow it off as "Just a joke."

And right now your theory boils down to "The fact that he did something that looks incriminating just proves that he had no knowledge, because if he knew what was going on he wouldn't have done incriminating things."

And lots of criminals do stupid things. If "Only an idiot would do that!" were an admissible defense then the jails would be empty.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jul 2018, 16:24

Painboy wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 15:51
thoreau wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 15:40

So he incriminates himself in public? I know Trump isn't the sharpest tool but that verges on suicidal. There are many, many, ways he could have signalled them if he wanted to with no one the wiser.
This is Trump we're talking about. One year ago today, what you said here would work equally well to express disbelief that he said some of the Charlottesville Nazis were very fine people: "I know Trump isn't the sharpest tool but that verges on suicidal. There are many, many, ways he could have signalled them if he wanted to with no one the wiser."
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 16:29

If we lived in the world of "Nobody could possibly do something that stupid", right now President Clinton's FCC would be granting Trump a license for the TV network he was planning when he thought he'd lose.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jul 2018, 16:48

A day or so before he pardoned Arpaio, I watched a live broadcast of Trump's rally in IIRC Phoenix on CNN. Specifically, I watched on CNN while Trump told the Phoenix audience that CNN and other liberal fake-news sites just cut the live feed of said rally, because the Fake News Media doesn't want America hearing his message.

It is obvious that Trump not only has no compunctions about lying, but has no compunctions against telling lies that are ridiculously easy to refute. There are far too many real-life examples of Trump actually being that dumb, for "Trump couldn't be that dumb!" to work as an excuse for him.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 13 Jul 2018, 17:06

Maybe he's so brazen because he knows that his fans won't care one bit and his putative detractors will explain that it couldn't possibly mean what you think it means because nobody would be that dumb.
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 13 Jul 2018, 17:12

thoreau wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 17:06
Maybe he's so brazen because he knows that his fans won't care one bit and his putative detractors will explain that it couldn't possibly mean what you think it means because nobody would be that dumb.
Actual Twitter transcript discussing Trump's CNN lie:
ME: Trump just accused CNN of cutting off the feed to the #PhoenixRally. I'm WATCHING that lying narcissistic twit on CNN.

TRUMPSTER: He never said CNN

ME: Yes, he did. You can check it for yourself, once this travesty of a speech re-airs.

TRUMPSTER: Awesome speech calling out the media.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 13 Jul 2018, 17:31

thoreau wrote:
13 Jul 2018, 17:06
I know you think his detractors are wrong in this case, but you don't have to call them putas.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Jul 2018, 17:35

You are super weird about this t. He IS a troll. He may be other things but he in his bones at least a troll. The straightest line here by far is trolling, and you acting like that requires some extra burden is goofy.