Oil? You cookin' bitch?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 19 Jun 2018, 08:33

Aresen wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 00:25
Sessions is a shitstain in his own right, given his congressional record. But he had a constituency within the GOP and was always a likely cabinet nominee. I think another GOP POTUS would have reined him in on this issue. [I concede I am playing 'alternate history' here and your estimate is as possible as mine.]
I don't think any other GOP pres would nominate Sessions. He's too much of a true believer and gets high on his own supply (he was Miller's former employer). Better to leave him as a nutjob in the Senate.

The other reason why I don't think a more conventional president wouldn't have done the separations, even if they wanted to, is that someone would have convinced them that the logistics are a shitshow and you own any abused or dead kids.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 19 Jun 2018, 11:30

thoreau wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:16
OTOH, we're getting a Space Force. SPACE FORCE!!!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 19 Jun 2018, 19:02

Aresen wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 00:25
*Nice classical reference ;)
Hey, know your audience. :)

But, also quoting you:
Aresen wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 11:24
Oh, fuck. The GOP really has sold it's soul:

I think those numbers would be different if a Blue president were in charge and doing this (see the reactions to Chelsea Manning's treatment, etc.), but

1) We don't have a Blue president in charge and
2) The numbers would not be so fucking different to have a solid majority of Blues supporting it. They'd just do fuck-all about it (for fear that might help Team Red, libertarians, or the Green Party) while being terribly indignant.

That is the beast Trump came riding here on, and it's what any winning Red president would have rode in on.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 20 Jun 2018, 18:00

Diplomacy between the president of the United States and a close ally:
WATCH: @IanBremmer describes exchange between Chancellor Merkel and Pres. Trump at #G7 summit: "He stood up, he put his hand in his pocket... and he took two Starbursts candies out, threw them on the table and said to Merkel, 'Here, Angela. Don't say I never give you anything.'"
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Jun 2018, 18:42

At least it wasn't SweeTarts.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Jun 2018, 15:36

Secret footage from MAGAFORCE training facility! MAGAFORCE!

https://i.gifer.com/1p6M.mp4

https://i.gifer.com/6tGi.mp4

https://i.gifer.com/87NF.mp4
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JD

Post by JD » 21 Jun 2018, 16:10

Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:42
I feel like Merkel is more of a Mentos person.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 22 Jun 2018, 02:40

JD wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 16:10
Warren wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 18:42
I feel like Merkel is more of a Mentos person.
DER FREISCHEMACHT!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Jun 2018, 12:04

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 22 Jun 2018, 12:18

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 12:04
When you've REALLY been godwinned.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 22 Jun 2018, 19:54

"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 22 Jun 2018, 23:56

You need to find a microscope for the tiny violin this guy gets.
In the 2016 presidential election, George Skarich, the vice president of sales for the Missouri-based Mid Continent Nail Corporation, voted for Mr. Trump and hoped that he would use his business acumen to supercharge the economy.

The economy is booming, but Mr. Skarich said he was not reaping the benefits. Instead, as a result of Mr. Trump’s trade policies, Mr. Skarich said his nail company may soon be out of business.
Mr. Skarich, a Republican, has lobbied Senator Claire McCaskill, a Democrat from Missouri, for help.
I do feel bad for the employees that are losing their jobs because of this.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Jun 2018, 00:14

dhex wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 19:54
That is worthy of a Monty Python sketch.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 24 Jun 2018, 01:17

I imagine that Trumplings will be either quiet or politely supportive of the restaurant that asked Sarah Huckabee-Sanders to leave because she works for Trump.

I mean if a bakery shouldn't have to violate their christian principles by serving gays, then certainly a restaurant shouldn't have to violate their liberal principles by serving whatever Trump is.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

nicole

Post by nicole » 25 Jun 2018, 09:55

This shit is why I fucking hate Trump

Also fuck you SMOD
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 25 Jun 2018, 17:00

Hugh Akston wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 01:17
I imagine that Trumplings will be either quiet or politely supportive of the restaurant that asked Sarah Huckabee-Sanders to leave because she works for Trump.

I mean if a bakery shouldn't have to violate their christian principles by serving gays, then certainly a restaurant shouldn't have to violate their liberal principles by serving whatever Trump is.
I've picked up a fair amount of the arguing via my Trump-supporting MIL's Facebook posts. I had assumed more of it would focus on, "But that was the baker's RELIGION!!!11!!jesus" but most of it is some weird logic about how the bakery would have sold them some cakes but not all cakes so it's different than the restaurant refusing to sell her any food at all.

Edited to add: with a soupçon of "Democrats are racists because this is just like refusing to serve blacks at a lunch counter."
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 Jun 2018, 17:07

Ellie wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 17:00
Hugh Akston wrote:
24 Jun 2018, 01:17

I've picked up a fair amount of the arguing via my Trump-supporting MIL's Facebook posts. I had assumed more of it would focus on, "But that was the baker's RELIGION!!!11!!jesus" but most of it is some weird logic about how the bakery would have sold them some cakes but not all cakes so it's different than the restaurant refusing to sell her any food at all.

Edited to add: with a soupçon of "Democrats are racists because this is just like refusing to serve blacks at a lunch counter."
I'm mostly seeing "all hatreds are created equal" false equivalence: hating people because of what they are (gay, black, non-Christian, whatever) is no better and no worse than hating people because of what they do (trying to take equal rights from people who are gay, black, non-Christian or whatever.) I asked one guy how far he takes that idea -- so if you're a Nazi who hates certain people just because they're Jewish, that's no better and no worse than being a Jew who hates certain people just because they're Nazis? -- but rather than answer, he piously repeated "I've said my opinion."

So, yeah: hating people because they build concentration camps so awful they won't even let the Red Cross see what's going on is no better than hating people enough to put them into concentration camps so awful they won't even let the Red Cross see what's going on.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

fyodor

Post by fyodor » 26 Jun 2018, 00:46

I'm going to go against the grain here somewhat and say the moral implications of harassing government officials engaged in private affairs over their involvement in reprehensible government policies are dubious at best, regardless of the whataboutisms raised about the people doing the most overt denouncing, and even more importantly the practical effects I think are likely to be counter-productive, a good enough reason to say these folks should quit pulling these stunts.
Your optimism just confuses and enrages me. - Timothy

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 26 Jun 2018, 01:28

fyodor wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 00:46
I'm going to go against the grain here somewhat and say the moral implications of harassing government officials engaged in private affairs over their involvement in reprehensible government policies are dubious at best, regardless of the whataboutisms raised about the people doing the most overt denouncing, and even more importantly the practical effects I think are likely to be counter-productive, a good enough reason to say these folks should quit pulling these stunts.
Team fyodor

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 26 Jun 2018, 08:31

Also team Fyodor. It’s an escalation that will not help.

dhex

Post by dhex » 26 Jun 2018, 09:17

It's kinda weird how so many of them were going to Mexican restaurants.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Jun 2018, 10:39

The demonstrating thing is potentially counterproductive. The not serving admin officials is perfectly kosher. The most morally dubious things is leveraging official position to harass the Red Hen. Also, I missed the fainting couch over this.

ETA: I also think the counter-productiveness thing is way overblown. I remember when the redneck with the Confederate flag terrorize brown kids ad was going to thrust Ed Gillespie into the governor's mansion last year.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 26 Jun 2018, 12:16

Yeah, the complaints about "incivility" are pretty lop-sided. Trump calls NFL players "sons of bitches", calls the media the true enemy, etc. People don't like it but they're resigned to it. Restaurant owner decides not to serve his mouthpiece? National freakout over degraded discourse.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 26 Jun 2018, 12:19

dhex wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 09:17
It's kinda weird how so many of them were going to Mexican restaurants.
There's a longstanding tradition in American ethnic/racial relations of treating 'The Help' as a category different from either 'Fellow Human Beings' or 'People That Annoy You'
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex