Orange is the new President

thoreau

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by thoreau » 15 Jun 2018, 03:05

Who knew that a trade war could be so good and so easy to win?

http://thehill.com/policy/international ... -trump?amp

While they're at it, maybe some eminent domain at 1161 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 0C6?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 15 Jun 2018, 11:25

thoreau wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 03:05
Who knew that a trade war could be so good and so easy to win?

http://thehill.com/policy/international ... -trump?amp

While they're at it, maybe some eminent domain at 1161 West Georgia Street, Vancouver, BC V6E 0C6?
I have no urge to be nuked.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Jun 2018, 12:38

I was wondering why all of the sudden a bunch of conservatives started to care about Pruitt's corruption this week. Was it some sort of delayed conscience? Or perhaps good old fashioned ag interests?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jun 2018, 18:06

Not to be "that guy," but let me just be anyway: concentration camps for children is something that could only have happened under Trump.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 Jun 2018, 18:16

OTOH, we're getting a Space Force. SPACE FORCE!!!
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2018, 18:22

Meh. In the world where Trump keeled over before the Team Ted debates, people would be going on about how "Only Ted Cruz" or "Only Jeb Bush" would be doing this stuff that Red voters are clamoring for and that Team Red is eager to do.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2018, 18:25

Mo wrote:
15 Jun 2018, 12:38
I was wondering why all of the sudden a bunch of conservatives started to care about Pruitt's corruption this week. Was it some sort of delayed conscience? Or perhaps good old fashioned ag interests?
"I'll take Ethanol Mandate for a billion, Alex."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2018, 18:29

Shem wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:06
Not to be "that guy," but let me just be anyway: concentration camps for children is something that could only have happened under Trump.
Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:22
Meh. In the world where Trump keeled over before the Team Red debates, people would be going on about how "Only Ted Cruz" or "Only Jeb Bush" would be doing this stuff that Red voters are clamoring for and that Team Red is eager to do.
Team Shem on this one. ICE might have started doing it under another Red president, but Cruz or Bush would have been embarrassed enough not to double down and say it would continue until the Blues caved on their immigration legislation.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 18:30

Fuck DST sideways with a splintery fence post. - JD

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jun 2018, 18:30

Eric the .5b wrote:
Meh. In the world where Trump keeled over before the Team Ted debates, people would be going on about how "Only Ted Cruz" or "Only Jeb Bush" would be doing this stuff that Red voters are clamoring for and that Team Red is eager to do.
You truly think Cruz or Bush (especially!) would be putting children in concentration camps?

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 18:31

Shem wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:30
Eric the .5b wrote:
You truly think Cruz or Bush (especially!) would be putting children in concentration camps?
It's nothing we haven't done before.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2018, 18:34

Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:31
Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
It's nothing we haven't done before.
As thoroughly wretched and appalling as the camps for Japanese-Americans were, at least the kids were kept with their families there.

That's how bad things are getting under Trump: bad enough that even the worst things we did within this country's borders during World War Two look relatively benign by comparison.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2018, 18:36

Warren wrote:
MAGA in Spaaaaaaaaaaace
He says it will be 'separate' from the air force. Does this mean another military academy for Space Cadets?

===
Also, does this mean he will 'hex the pentagon'? (Apologies to Jerome Lawrence)

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2018, 19:05

Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
Do you truly believe they wouldn't?

ETA: Or, more precisely than fixating on Cruz or Bush, do you believe that, absent Trump, whoever won the Team Red nomination would somehow be above the howling racist sentiment that Trump rode to power? They'd just ignore that sector of voters and still win against Clinton?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 19:32

Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:36
Warren wrote:
MAGA in Spaaaaaaaaaaace
He says it will be 'separate' from the air force. Does this mean another military academy for Space Cadets?
Does the Air Force even have it's own academy?
Jerome Lawrence? I don't see the connection.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 Jun 2018, 19:43

v
Warren wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 19:32
Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
[urlhttps://www.cnn.com/2018/06/18/politics/trump-s ... index.html]MAGA in Spaaaaaaaaaaace[/url]
Yes, in Colorado.

EDIT because the html keeps messing up:

http://www.usafa.af.mil/
Last edited by Jennifer on 18 Jun 2018, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 Jun 2018, 19:43

Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
MAGA in Spaaaaaaaaaaace
In Jerome Lawrence's play Inherit The Wind, Henry Drummond (proxy for Clarence Darrow) taunts Mathew Harrison Brady (proxy for William Jennings Bryan) with the accusation that Brady will 'hex the pentateuch' by adding a 'book of Brady' to the first five books of the Christian Bible, known as the Pentateuch.

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Jun 2018, 19:45

Aresen wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 19:43
Warren wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Warren wrote:
MAGA in Spaaaaaaaaaaace
In Jerome Lawrence's play Inherit The Wind, Henry Drummond (proxy for Clarence Darrow) taunts Mathew Harrison Brady (proxy for William Jennings Bryan) with the accusation that Brady will 'hex the pentateuch' by adding a 'book of Brady' to the first five books of the Christian Bible, known as the Pentateuch.
Ah, I see. It's been a few years since I've seen it performed, I didn't remember that line.

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 Jun 2018, 20:10

Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 19:05
Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

ETA: Or, more precisely than fixating on Cruz or Bush, do you believe that, absent Trump, whoever won the Team Red nomination would somehow be above the howling racist sentiment that Trump rode to power? They'd just ignore that sector of voters and still win against Clinton?
No, I do not believe they would have. There's race-baiting, and there's concentration camps. Not even Ted Cruz would have gone that far. And Jen Bush, (who couldn't even be made to categorically condemn undocumented immigrants) would certainly never have have done it.

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jun 2018, 20:23

Eric the .5b wrote:
Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

Even Ted Cruz is horrified by this policy.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

MJGreen

Post by MJGreen » 18 Jun 2018, 22:15

Even if Cruz and Bush pandered to the same kind of elements that love Trump in the general election, they're politicians. They wouldn't actually follow through on their rhetoric. Just as they wouldn't really get into a trade war with China, or threaten to end NAFTA or leave NATO or any of that. They'd make a few token gestures, push a bloated immigration policy that provide a few good soundbites, and generally be cautious and conservative. They'd generously keep the policy debate unresolved for their successors.

Course, they also wouldn't hire shitstains like Stephen Miller.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 18 Jun 2018, 23:09

Shem wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 20:10
Eric the .5b wrote:
Shem wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:

No, I do not believe they would have. There's race-baiting, and there's concentration camps. Not even Ted Cruz would have gone that far. And Jen Bush, (who couldn't even be made to categorically condemn undocumented immigrants) would certainly never have have done it.
If true, if those are truly the two who wouldn't have done that, then neither of them would have been the nominee. And we'd be talking about that actual guy as if he were a shocking aberration.

Given Sessions, who's been gleefully implementing this policy, didn't spring parthenogenetically from Trump's orange forehead, I'm not remotely sanguine that someone else wouldn't or couldn't have picked up the racist fucknut baton while it was laying on the ground in front of them.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 Jun 2018, 23:25

thoreau wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:16
We're not getting a space force. What the president signed today was about space junk
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 19 Jun 2018, 00:25

MJGreen wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 22:15
Even if Cruz and Bush pandered to the same kind of elements that love Trump in the general election, they're politicians. They wouldn't actually follow through on their rhetoric. Just as they wouldn't really get into a trade war with China, or threaten to end NAFTA or leave NATO or any of that. They'd make a few token gestures, push a bloated immigration policy that provide a few good soundbites, and generally be cautious and conservative. They'd generously keep the policy debate unresolved for their successors.

Course, they also wouldn't hire shitstains like Stephen Miller.
I agree. Cruz von Calgary and Bush Minor are too much politicians to have gone down that road (or at least would have turned back instantly once the brown people hit the wire.)

However, I am sure they would have found their own shitstains. (Every politician has them hanging around. (cf Emanuel Rahm)
--
Eric the .5b wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 23:09
Given Sessions, who's been gleefully implementing this policy, didn't spring parthenogenetically from Trump's orange forehead*, I'm not remotely sanguine that someone else wouldn't or couldn't have picked up the racist fucknut baton while it was laying on the ground in front of them.
Sessions is a shitstain in his own right, given his congressional record. But he had a constituency within the GOP and was always a likely cabinet nominee. I think another GOP POTUS would have reined him in on this issue. [I concede I am playing 'alternate history' here and your estimate is as possible as mine.]

And considering that Trump managed to endorse someone even worse than Sessions for the vacated Alabama Senate seat, I would argue that Trump is absolutely blind to any form of decency.

--

*Nice classical reference ;)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Jun 2018, 00:44

Kolohe wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 23:25
thoreau wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 18:16
We're not getting a space force. What the president signed today was about space junk
Sure, but he'll talk about Space Force. How long before we reach the "M-A-R-S: Mars, bitchez!" stage of his presidency?
--Shem