Orange is the new President

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 17 May 2018, 23:15

Here's what I don't get, the Dems in blue states that flipped. Do they really think that Haspel is really the tipping point that will keep a voter from leaving them?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 17 May 2018, 23:52

Mo wrote:
17 May 2018, 23:15
Here's what I don't get, the Dems in blue states that flipped. Do they really think that Haspel is really the tipping point that will keep a voter from leaving them?
Why burn a challenge on something** when it's not going to matter either way? They won't keep any votes, but it won't lose anyone either. Meanwhile press it and you give the "they're obstructionist" canard more ammo.

**If you say "ethics," I swear to God I'm gonna laugh until I have a stroke.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 May 2018, 00:01

Three Republicans voted against Haspel, so voting as a bloc would have won it. The only good thing about the Haspel nomination is that blocks Cotton from getting the job and he seems downright enthusiastic to torture.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 May 2018, 00:43

Bet the Republicans would've fallen in and voted for her had the Dems been stronger in their opposition. It was the knowledge that their vote wouldn't matter that made them willing to stick their neck out.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 18 May 2018, 14:11

Somewhere in America, a sadistic little girl who daydreams about becoming a professional torturer when she grows up is feeling VERY inspired today.

She can practice for her future profession by beating the soles of her babydolls' feet.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 18 May 2018, 14:20

Trump is pushing the USPS to retaliate against Amazon because Bezos owns WaPo.

If Obama did this the GOP would be drafting articles of impeachment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/ ... ssion=true
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 18 May 2018, 14:48

The USPS knows that they're basically amazon's bitch now. Yeah, package rates are relatively cheap, but those are the rates that the USPS sets for packages. It's not a "subsidy", but that doesn't matter to president toddler.

Sure the USPS could raise rates, but they're in a bit of trouble if amazon decides "Yeah, we've got our own delivery service now". Especially if they raised the rates to try to gouge amazon, but now it drives both amazon and other business away.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 18 May 2018, 14:55

Highway wrote:
18 May 2018, 14:48
The USPS knows that they're basically amazon's bitch now. Yeah, package rates are relatively cheap, but those are the rates that the USPS sets for packages. It's not a "subsidy", but that doesn't matter to president toddler.

Sure the USPS could raise rates, but they're in a bit of trouble if amazon decides "Yeah, we've got our own delivery service now". Especially if they raised the rates to try to gouge amazon, but now it drives both amazon and other business away.
IOW, Trump can throw all the tantrums he wants, but Amazon's got USPS by the balls.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 18 May 2018, 15:08

Kinda. I mean, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement, actually. Hard to describe that as "having them by the balls" unless you view all commerce that way.

Jake

Post by Jake » 18 May 2018, 15:14

Shem wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:08
Kinda. I mean, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement, actually. Hard to describe that as "having them by the balls" unless you view all commerce that way.
It has them by the balls in a loving, mutually-enjoyable way.
"TIL that it's genetically impossible for whales to have evolved from leg-having ancestors, millions of scientists are signing a petition to stop the teaching of evolution and evolution isn't real because Nazis wanted to kill all the Jews. Alternately, I met a moron at the museum." -- TIO

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 May 2018, 15:56

Mutual ball loving for all?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 18 May 2018, 16:07

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:56
Mutual ball loving for all?
Adam Smith couldn't have said it better.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 18 May 2018, 16:25

Shem wrote:
18 May 2018, 15:08
So you've never met any progressives then?
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 18 May 2018, 21:26

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but I do hope none of them dipped their balls in it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 May 2018, 23:22

You have a high bar there, kolohe
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 May 2018, 17:20

There's no little irony in the possibility that package delivery may end up being the service that saves an organization with a statutory monopoly on first class mail. (What actually constitutes "first class mail" is, by the way, an excellent example of the inanity of law.)

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 18:23

A judge ruled that Trump cannot block people on Twitter.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/ju ... users.html
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 May 2018, 19:18

Jennifer wrote:A judge ruled that Trump cannot block people on Twitter.

https://slate.com/technology/2018/05/ju ... users.html
So he can't stop me from tweeting this at him? Sweet!Image
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 May 2018, 19:24

To be fair, he can still mute people on Twitter -- he's not obligated to see or read what you post, nor should he be IMO -- but he can't block you so that you can't read his. (I know, as a practical matter, seeing tweets from someone who blocked you is a trivially easy matter--but I still think it would set a bad precedent if a president or any politico were allowed to do so.)

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 May 2018, 19:43

Jennifer wrote:
23 May 2018, 19:24
he's not obligated to see or read what you post, nor should he be IMO
I think he should be required by law to get the inside of his eyelid tattooed with whatever I want to tweet at him.
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 24 May 2018, 13:36

I'm not sure who the constituency the Jack Johnson pardon is for. How about we work on people whose lives are currently being ruined. No one is going to buy that he's not racist because of this.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 24 May 2018, 14:51

It was for the Hollywood center right, like Stalone and Arnuld.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 May 2018, 09:16

I would like a series of trump commemorative coins with various triumphs of his presidency - glowing orb, gardening with Macron, etc. - but the image used for trump is the Brandy Chastain bust image. If I can't have this I might be done with capitalism.

JD

Post by JD » 25 May 2018, 10:29

Mo wrote:
24 May 2018, 13:36
I'm not sure who the constituency the Jack Johnson pardon is for. How about we work on people whose lives are currently being ruined. No one is going to buy that he's not racist because of this.
True, perhaps, but my reaction when I read about it was "Holy crap, Trump actually did something right for once."
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 25 May 2018, 15:29

Last year federal officials managed to "lose" almost 1500 migrant children. No idea where any of them are.

http://www.startribune.com/the-latest-f ... 480986621/