Orange is the new President

Mo

Re: Orange is the new President

Post by Mo » 09 May 2018, 13:03

But that’s the thing he would be taking a loss today, even if he survived the liquidity crunch
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 11 May 2018, 10:12

nicole wrote:
09 May 2018, 13:03
I fucking love this story
Now that's how you negotiate a contract.

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 May 2018, 17:15

Novartis has great lawyers, they knew what they were paying for. They engage in high stakes negotiations with suppliers, licensing agreements and distributors, but got played by a guy who can’t even write an airtight NDA? GTFO. This is like hiring the Rodham’s or some government official’s idiot brother for “consulting”. I’m shocked anyone is buying Novartis’ line.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 May 2018, 18:39

I've been offering to urinate on him but so far he hasn't taken me up on it.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 14 May 2018, 20:05

It does seem oxymoronic to need to operate on a 'benign' condition.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 May 2018, 23:55

Kolohe wrote:
14 May 2018, 20:05
It does seem oxymoronic to need to operate on a 'benign' condition.
Especially one that requires a week of recovery. My dad got a chamber of one lung removed and was out after a long weekend.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 May 2018, 23:57

Benign tumors can still cause discomfort and health complications.

Something's on the serious side if it takes a week of recovery.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 May 2018, 00:17

If my husband were Donald Trump, I'd rather spend a week in a military hospital than go straight home. Even if I were only being treated for a hangnail.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 May 2018, 01:14

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 May 2018, 23:57
Benign tumors can still cause discomfort and health complications.

Something's on the serious side if it takes a week of recovery.
Yeah, "benign" just means it won't metastasize to other parts of the body. An abnormal growth on a vital organ can still cause problems for the function of that organ.

OTOH, maybe she asked to spend a week at the hospital because she knew her husband wouldn't go there every day.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 May 2018, 13:50

Is anyone buying Haspel's newfound regrets on torture enhanced interrogation? Clearly, there was a reason she waited until after, so there wouldn't be video of her lying about it.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 May 2018, 14:39

Mo wrote:
15 May 2018, 13:50
Is anyone buying Haspel's newfound regrets on torture enhanced interrogation?
Hell no. She wouldn't even answer a straightforward yes-or-no question regarding whether it was immoral. The accounts of torture I've read were downright horrifying -- in many cases, the sadists weren't even asking any questions of their victims. They were simply inflicting pain because they enjoyed doing so. And our government pays them to be thus.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 15 May 2018, 16:10

Jennifer wrote:
15 May 2018, 00:17
If my husband were Donald Trump, I'd rather spend a week in a military hospital than go straight home. Even if I were only being treated for a hangnail.
Walter Reed NMMC is to military hospitals what the Vatican is to roadside chapels.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 May 2018, 16:19

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:10
Jennifer wrote:
15 May 2018, 00:17
Walter Reed NMMC is to military hospitals what the Vatican is to roadside chapels.
No doubt; I don't think Mrs. Trump #3 will wake up in the middle of the night to see a roach crawling on her IV line, the way I did at the Ft. Eustis army hospital back in the day. Still, even the nicest hospital is less pleasant than one's own home -- unless the home is shared with Donald Trump.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 May 2018, 16:27

This is not offered to contradict or support anything, just an amusing anecdote about how people feel in hospitals:

My grandmother worked as a nurse for many years, and is now in a long-term care facility. She is never in her room, though. She hangs out at the nurses' station, and when I call her there she says "Oh, thank you for calling but I can't talk long, I'm at work." She gets confused about whether she's a patient or employee. And she seems to be happier that way.
--Shem

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 15 May 2018, 17:17

thoreau wrote:
15 May 2018, 16:27
This is not offered to contradict or support anything, just an amusing anecdote about how people feel in hospitals:

My grandmother worked as a nurse for many years, and is now in a long-term care facility. She is never in her room, though. She hangs out at the nurses' station, and when I call her there she says "Oh, thank you for calling but I can't talk long, I'm at work." She gets confused about whether she's a patient or employee. And she seems to be happier that way.
I talk to the occassional patient. It's fun sometimes. Sometimes I really really really need to talk to a nurse but that's where the fun ends and the person almost invariable hangs up on me or tells me to call back another time. Such is long term care.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 May 2018, 03:25

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 16 May 2018, 04:02

Even Zombie Nixon is like "Dude. Serious?"
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 16 May 2018, 04:04

I am amazed he's been getting away with as much as he has. I know the current crop of Republicans controlling Congress were corrupt, but for fuck's sake.

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 May 2018, 10:17

Seems a bit odd that top executives at big companies are resigning over "business as usual" payments.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 16 May 2018, 11:03

Jennifer wrote:
16 May 2018, 04:04
I am amazed he's been getting away with as much as he has. I know the current crop of Republicans controlling Congress were corrupt, but for fuck's sake.
More gutless than corrupt, I think (though corrupt also applies). They are afraid of what the Trumpers will do to them if they are 'disloyal.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 17 May 2018, 21:12

Gina Haspel got the job.

America is officially the type of country that tortures people, does not hold the torturers accountable, but DOES reward them with prestigious government jobs.

Dammit.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 May 2018, 22:33

Hey, but she shattered the glass ceiling!

(By bashing a detainee's head against it.)
--Shem

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 17 May 2018, 22:34

Gina Haspel brought efficiency to the CIA, running torture dungeons with staff who got paid $0.75 on the dollar.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 May 2018, 22:37

I BELIEVE THE ONLY WAY
TO SAVE HAWAII
IS TO SACRIFICE
A SITTING PRESIDENT
TO THE ANGRY VOLCANO
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex