Calling 2020 for Entropy

Kolohe

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Kolohe » 11 Nov 2016, 19:00

Sandy wrote:I really wish we'd adopt the German system. It really seems to balance maintaining competition with universal coverage very well.
I thought being more like Germany is the number 1 thing we feared from a President Trump!
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 11 Nov 2016, 20:17

Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:
Sandy wrote:I really wish we'd adopt the German system. It really seems to balance maintaining competition with universal coverage very well.
Isn't the German system essentially Obamacare plus Medicaid for all?
Except that the public part is administered through competing nonprofits, and everybody making a certain amount or above is on the private system. They're not trying to mix them.

Switzerland has Obamacare and I have heard bad things from them.
My understanding is that you can stay on the public system as long as you'd like, but once you leave you can't come back for the most part. And while they are administered by non-profits, it's more akin to Medicare Advantage and rates are set by the government.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 11 Nov 2016, 20:53

I think the point Jennifer made upthread still stands: Medical care is always going to be in shortage.

The old US model - where the insurance company pays (for most people) - was running up against the costs inherent in the fact that people will demand the very best, even if the super-expensive treatment gives only a marginal improvement over the least expensive.

The Canadian model, where there is no co-pay, is running up against the fact that people will demand unlimited quantities of a free resource. Emergency rooms are jammed with people who are there for minor cuts and bruises. Even a $5 user fee would eliminated wait times, but this is fanatically resisted by the left, who insist that medical care must be 'free'. The results are predictable: people dying while awaiting treatment and government budgets near the breaking point. (I waited a year and a half for hernia surgery. My friend waited two years for knee replacement.)

I can't speak for the situation in other countries, but the simple fact is as Medical services available are always going to be less than the demand. The question is: How are you going to ration it?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 11 Nov 2016, 22:16

Aresen wrote:
OTOH, maybe we should just adopt The Far Side Vet School practices:
Also works for bike messengers.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 11 Nov 2016, 22:59

Mo wrote:
Sandy wrote:
Mo wrote:
Isn't the German system essentially Obamacare plus Medicaid for all?
Except that the public part is administered through competing nonprofits, and everybody making a certain amount or above is on the private system. They're not trying to mix them.

Switzerland has Obamacare and I have heard bad things from them.
My understanding is that you can stay on the public system as long as you'd like, but once you leave you can't come back for the most part. And while they are administered by non-profits, it's more akin to Medicare Advantage and rates are set by the government.
Not quite. Coming back on public is restricted, but if you have one of several conditions, importantly one being below the age of 55 and making less than the private insurance eligibility criteria (€50K), you can rejoin.

Prices are negotiated at the state level between the nonprofits and various provider organizations, like physicians' associations.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 12 Nov 2016, 18:25

nicole wrote:Ds will not nominate another white candidate.
You mean ever?
Aresen wrote:OTOH, Team Blue has to capture a lot of statehouses between now and 2020 if they don't want to be gerrymandered into a minority for the next 14 years.
See, I was thinking about this, and about the fact that Kasich was making noises about ending gerrymandering back when he was still in the hunt. His argument was that it makes getting compromise impossible by making sure that nobody faces pressure from the center. If Trump winds up being a catastrophe, I could easily see a bipartisan push to do something like put districting in the hands of non-partisan committees, or use computer programs to draw districts, or some mixture of the two. This becomes even more likely if, as I expect to happen, Paul Ryan faces a leadership challenge next year and gets no backup from Trump, because one of Trump's early backers from the "gerrymandered into a life term brigade" demands his shot at the brass ring.
Mo wrote:I think the filibuster will stay for legislation specifically because McConnell has a strong suspicion (rightly or wrongly) that Trump is going down hard in 2020 and will likely take down Congressional majorities with him. The anti-Trump backlash will be quite strong, so keeping the filibuster in place will be bigly important. OTOH, I don't see the SCOTUS filibuster lasting because the Scalia replacement is seen as too important.
If you want to see some epic lulz, imagine what would happen if Schumer told Trump "we'll let you build the wall if you name your sister to the Supreme Court." Can you see him turning the offer down? The Dems get a pro-choice, moderate Justice, Trump gets more of the nepotism that he loves, and Republican heads explode. It'd be amazing.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 13 Nov 2016, 15:25

That's ... that's pretty good Shem.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Nov 2016, 11:09

Kolohe wrote:
I thought being more like Germany is the number 1 thing we feared from a President Trump!
:lol: 8-) 8-) 8-)
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 15 Nov 2016, 10:23

Latest Cabinet Shortlist: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=1

Aaaaaaand Arpaio's at the top of the Homeland Security secretary list (though it might be due to the list appearing to be alphabetized). I suppose DHS is just the right fit for that motherfucker, as I imagine Arpaio and border security guards are of one mind on many issues. Arpaio's shenanigans should do less damage there than, say, in the Justice Department.

He's also 84, so here's to him dying a horribly slow, painful death in the near future...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 15 Nov 2016, 10:52

Taktix® wrote:Latest Cabinet Shortlist: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=1

Aaaaaaand Arpaio's at the top of the Homeland Security secretary list (though it might be due to the list appearing to be alphabetized). I suppose DHS is just the right fit for that motherfucker, as I imagine Arpaio and border security guards are of one mind on many issues. Arpaio's shenanigans should do less damage there than, say, in the Justice Department.

He's also 84, so here's to him dying a horribly slow, painful death in the near future...
Does TSA fall under DHS?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2016, 11:00

Warren wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Latest Cabinet Shortlist: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=1

Does TSA fall under DHS?
Yes.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2016, 11:05

Based on that list, here's who I would be pleased to see:

SoS: Corker or McChrystal
Treasury: Anyone but Barrack
SecDef: Ayotte or Hadley
AG: Shoot me
Interior: Uh, maybe one of the oil guys
Ag: Perdue
Commerce: DiMicco
HHS: Jindal or Scott
DoE: Connaughton
Ed: Evers
DHS: OFFS

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2016, 11:10

Your AG pick is the only rational choice.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2016, 11:11

I dunno, I thought my DHS pick was pretty good.

JD

Post by JD » 15 Nov 2016, 11:12

Bobby Jindal for HHS?! Even Louisiana Republicans hate that guy. Being in the Trump Cabinet is starting to look like some kind of consolation prize for failed politicians.
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2016, 11:14

The treasury list isn't bad.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Nov 2016, 11:18

JD wrote:Bobby Jindal for HHS?! Even Louisiana Republicans hate that guy. Being in the Trump Cabinet is starting to look like some kind of consolation prize for failed politicians.
My understanding was he did a competent job as LA HHS Secretary. At this point my standard is a modest level of competence and subject matter knowledge. I fear a cabinet full of Michael Browns.
JasonL wrote:The treasury list isn't bad.
I have a strong bias against REIT and commercial RE guys. Success in that field is 95% tax arbitrage and local corruption.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Nov 2016, 11:28

Fair enough.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Nov 2016, 19:26

JasonL wrote:Your AG pick is the only rational choice.
Giant Meteor or GTFO
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Dec 2016, 11:39

The lulz may continue in the post-Trump era:

Biden Says He’s Running in 2020
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 06 Dec 2016, 11:55

Aresen wrote:The lulz may continue in the post-Trump era:

Finally! Class struggle just as Marx predicted. Well, except just between two guys.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Dec 2016, 13:11

D.A. Ridgely wrote:

Finally! Class struggle just as Marx predicted. Well, except just between two guys.
I don't think struggling to find class is what Marx meant...

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 06 Dec 2016, 14:59

Taktix[REGISTERED SIGN] wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

I don't think struggling to find class is what Marx meant...
Groucho meant it.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 15 Mar 2017, 23:21

I don't think today's Democrats know how to run against this.

"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 25 Mar 2017, 22:27

Yep, it's the end of the world: https://www.citylab.com/design/2017/03/ ... urce=atlfb

It's a giant, phallic, golden tower, at 666 Fifth Avenue, to be built by Kushner Companies, designed by a crazy impractical jackass architect who designs inside-out skyscrapers, using materials manufactured by the slave laborers in Dubai. Oh, and Chinese people can buy a visa through the building. When Armageddon comes, this building will somehow be involved.

Reality is completely absurd...