Calling 2020 for Entropy

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29890
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by thoreau »

I'm shocked that he didn't vote when weed legalization was on the ballot.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14514
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Kolohe »

Is it a timing of felon voting rights restoration thing?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16954
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 15:49
Snoop is voting this year for the first time ever. Fingers crossed he'll be able to tip California for Biden.
Not Snoop Dogg specifically, but I think the biggest factor in defeating Trump - if it happens - will be the minority turn out. They won't sit on their hands the way the did for Clinton.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29669
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Warren »

Aresen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 18:04
Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 15:49
Snoop is voting this year for the first time ever. Fingers crossed he'll be able to tip California for Biden.
Not Snoop Dogg specifically, but I think the biggest factor in defeating Trump - if it happens - will be the minority turn out. They won't sit on their hands the way the did for Clinton.
Oh yeah. I lost count of the 'Biden 2020 or You Ain't Black' bumper stickers I've seen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8664
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 20:04
Aresen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 18:04
Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 15:49
Snoop is voting this year for the first time ever. Fingers crossed he'll be able to tip California for Biden.
Not Snoop Dogg specifically, but I think the biggest factor in defeating Trump - if it happens - will be the minority turn out. They won't sit on their hands the way the did for Clinton.
Oh yeah. I lost count of the 'Biden 2020 or You Ain't Black' bumper stickers I've seen.
You live in fucking Missouri. Sit down.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29669
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 21:42
Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 20:04
Aresen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 18:04
Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 15:49
Snoop is voting this year for the first time ever. Fingers crossed he'll be able to tip California for Biden.
Not Snoop Dogg specifically, but I think the biggest factor in defeating Trump - if it happens - will be the minority turn out. They won't sit on their hands the way the did for Clinton.
Oh yeah. I lost count of the 'Biden 2020 or You Ain't Black' bumper stickers I've seen.
You live in fucking Missouri. Sit down.
St. Louis is in MO. Ever hear of Ferguson Mo Fo?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Jennifer »

There's an article a friend of mine posted on Facebook recently -- I think just before the pandemic dominated news -- unfortunately I can't find it now, but it was written by a black woman explaining why many black people do support Biden despite various bad legislation and similar things he's supported, and the gist of it was, this is an old white man who spent eight years playing wingman/second fiddle to a black guy half his age, and at no point did he act resentful of this fact. IIRC the article asked a rhetorical question along the lines of "How many old white guys do you know who'd be fine working for a black boss half his age?"

As for me, I'll do the same thing in 2020 I did in 2016: hold my nose and vote for a Democrat I don't like, because at least it's not Trump.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 8664
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 22:37
Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 21:42
Warren wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 20:04
Aresen wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 18:04
Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jun 2020, 15:49
Snoop is voting this year for the first time ever. Fingers crossed he'll be able to tip California for Biden.
Not Snoop Dogg specifically, but I think the biggest factor in defeating Trump - if it happens - will be the minority turn out. They won't sit on their hands the way the did for Clinton.
Oh yeah. I lost count of the 'Biden 2020 or You Ain't Black' bumper stickers I've seen.
You live in fucking Missouri. Sit down.
St. Louis is in MO. Ever hear of Ferguson Mo Fo?
That place burned down and everyone immediately forgot about it. Exactly how close to the pulse of the nation is Ferguson or for that matter Goat Rope?

I'm, surprisingly even to me, not trying to be a dick but you made a dumb comment.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 16954
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Aresen »

I don't think the minorities are going to come out for Biden. I think they are going to turn out because they effing hate Trump. In 2016, many* just thought his rhetoric was campaign bloviating. Now they realize that what they saw was exactly what he was.

*I partly include myself in this group. Even though Penn Jillette warned us.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20099
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Aresen wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:50
I don't think the minorities are going to come out for Biden. I think they are going to turn out because they effing hate Trump. In 2016, many* just thought his rhetoric was campaign bloviating. Now they realize that what they saw was exactly what he was.

*I partly include myself in this group. Even though Penn Jillette warned us.
They'll come out in large numbers 'for Biden' if he picks a black woman as his running mate. OTOH, that will further energize Trump's most racist core voters, but they're pretty much all on board already.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29669
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Warren »

A black running mate will turn out the black vote, but I don't think he can count on them just because Trump Bad.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Eric the .5b
Posts: 14824
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 16:29

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Eric the .5b »

A big part of people not voting for Clinton in 2016 was everybody constantly saying she was an absolute lock to win and that Trump had no chance.

That is no longer a factor.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25555
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Mo »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:58
Aresen wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 10:50
I don't think the minorities are going to come out for Biden. I think they are going to turn out because they effing hate Trump. In 2016, many* just thought his rhetoric was campaign bloviating. Now they realize that what they saw was exactly what he was.

*I partly include myself in this group. Even though Penn Jillette warned us.
They'll come out in large numbers 'for Biden' if he picks a black woman as his running mate. OTOH, that will further energize Trump's most racist core voters, but they're pretty much all on board already.
I don’t get this argument. Biden won the primary due to the support of black voters, even going against a number of black candidates. Black voters haven’t seemed to require the same sort of identity politics purity that white progressive voters seem to think they want.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Jadagul
Posts: 7509
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:51

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Jadagul »

A few people I follow on Twitter—I think including Nate Silver and Matt Yglesias—like to point out that there's a huge division between what the typical black Democratic voter wants, and what _black activists_ want. Biden is not at all popular among Woke Racial Justice Activists. He is extremely popular among, like, actual black people.

Most of this cycle's campaigns were targeting the Woke Social Justice Advocates and sort of assuming that that's how you attract the votes of racial minorities. But most black and hispanic voters aren't actually Woke Social Justice Advocates, and are rather to their right on a host of issues.

Most black people don't want to abolish the police.

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 10669
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by nicole »

Lol that’s...not how any of this works

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25555
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Mo »

One of the (many) hilarious side effects of the kpop trolling of Trump’s rally is that Parscale was bragging about what an awesome data mining initiative it was for the campaign and now it turns out it’s all worthless data.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25375
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by JasonL »

Is ... is trump actually right about mail in voting? I'm not sure we will need it, and I understand the argument about low incidence of voter fraud historically, but there are sensitivities to scale in every control environment. I'm not at all sure we have a set of quality mechanisms to deal with a potential deluge of mailed in votes from motivated political actors, foreign powers, trolls and so forth, and I simultaneously think this moment is peak 'if we are ever going to do deluge it's going to be now'.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25555
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Mo »

We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident. Why would now be different?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25375
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by JasonL »

Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident. Why would now be different?
Do you know how they validate voters?

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19454
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 10:15
Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident. Why would now be different?
Do you know how they validate voters?
In Colorado, the state registers voters automatically by their driver's license, which you need five separate pieces of identification to obtain. People without a license have to fill out a form and mail it in, and may have to provide that identification as well.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29669
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident.
Wait what?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 19454
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Hugh Akston »

Warren wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 11:58
Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident.
Wait what?
Oregon has been all-mail voting since 2000. So technically the plural of decade. The other five states to go full mail-in have done so since 2010.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 29669
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 12:08
Warren wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 11:58
Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident.
Wait what?
Oregon has been all-mail voting since 2000. So technically the plural of decade. The other five states to go full mail-in have done so since 2010.
Thanks.

I share JasonL's concern in that 2020 and beyond could see a concerted effort of election fraud by "motivated political actors, foreign powers, trolls and so forth" targeting the weak points of mail-in voting that hasn't previously manifested.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 29890
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by thoreau »

Wait, just so we're clear, election interference by foreign powers is now a bad thing?

If so, are we concerned about Eastasia or Eurasia?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

User avatar
Jennifer
Posts: 25637
Joined: 28 Apr 2010, 14:03

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Jennifer »

JasonL wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 10:15
Mo wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 09:30
We’ve had states with 100% mail in voting for decades without incident. Why would now be different?
Do you know how they validate voters?
Jeff and I did a mail-in vote for the recent primary (in Georgia); the ballots were mailed to our house, then we sent them back in envelopes which had our names pre-printed on them, and we had to sign the envelope before returning it.

Where validation is concerned, validating those mail-in votes would be far easier, if necessary, than validating the in-person voting option of easy-to-hack electronic touch screens which leave no paper trail. If Trump and the GOP were actually worried about legit voter fraud (rather than worried about voters not choosing them), they'd worry about the electronic machines more than the paper mailings.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Post Reply