Calling 2020 for Entropy

JD

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by JD »

Highway wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:42 I dunno, "Get into a shootout at the state capitol building" is pretty much as much of a threat to public safety as a good plan to kidnap and execute the sitting governor. And yeah, pretty much anyone who actually concocts a plan and executes it is not gonna be the brightest bulb, overall, but still "bunch of guys who have convinced themselves they're right enough to break the law and they have a lot of guns" is a recipe for significant concern.
Oh, there's no question that it's a threat to public safety, but any clown could do it; 13 guys who have already been infiltrated by the cops before they even do anything concrete does not look like an existential threat to the nation, which is how some people seem to be spinning it.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Shem

Post by Shem »

lunchstealer wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 21:19
Warren wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 21:03 His 'Stay at Home Order' was pretty draconian. That is until the courts struck it down.
Yeah, she prohibited boating and hunting (well it was probably out of season, buy y'know) and other low-risk activities that the good ol' boys hold even dearer than hatin' libtards.

But also yeah she's a woman and Trumpenproles hate the womenfolk to get uppity.
As far as overreactions go, that was pretty typical. It was mostly that she was a woman who stood up to Trump, so he went on the warpath and they followed. I mean, Inslee was worse in several ways, but he didn't come in for nearly the hate, even though we have just as many nutjobs hidden away across the state.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

JD wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 10:28
Highway wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 08:42 I dunno, "Get into a shootout at the state capitol building" is pretty much as much of a threat to public safety as a good plan to kidnap and execute the sitting governor. And yeah, pretty much anyone who actually concocts a plan and executes it is not gonna be the brightest bulb, overall, but still "bunch of guys who have convinced themselves they're right enough to break the law and they have a lot of guns" is a recipe for significant concern.
Oh, there's no question that it's a threat to public safety, but any clown could do it; 13 guys who have already been infiltrated by the cops before they even do anything concrete does not look like an existential threat to the nation, which is how some people seem to be spinning it.
I think it's the attitude that it seems to indicate on the right, and the next steps could be OKC-level stuff. And it is being downplayed and kind of encouraged by some people way higher than ever nod-and-a-winked or nbd'd this type of stuff in the '90s. Including the president himself. No Trump and a responsible Team Red and this is just a bunch of bumbling fools. With a fledgling fascist in the White House telling these people to 'stand by', this is far more worrying than in years past. Yeah these guys managed to get spotted by the 5-0, but the question is how many more bands of proto-brownshirt thugs are out there ready to go shoot up a line at a heavily black or latino polling place or otherwise fuck shit up in a way that breaks the election?
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

oh what a surprising turn of events no one could possibly have expected this to happen

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This must be that law & order I keep hearing about.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Kidnapping, citizen's arrest...
Tomato tomahto.png
Tomato tomahto.png (315.24 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Trump was doing the same shit even before the election -- I recall one instance where a couple of MAGA thugs beat up a homeless man (IIRC because he was Hispanic) while shouting pro-Trump slogans, and when Trump was told about this, he did not condemn their actions but only said his supporters were "passionate" about M-ing AGA.

Which IMO is another way Trump completely goes outside traditional POTUS norms: any other POTUS of my life, if someone committed such a vile criminal act while shouting support for the POTUS, I'm sure they would have condemned it: Reagan and the Bushes, Obama and the Clintons -- yes, and all their veeps too, even that vile Dick Cheney. And all of them would have firmly and unequivocally condemned "Nazi marchers" and "any notion that they'd refuse to accept election results if they lost," too.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b
Warren

Post by Warren »

dead_elvis wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 14:27 Kidnapping, citizen's arrest...
If it's a sitting Governor, I'd call it more of a recall.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
thoreau

Post by thoreau »

https://claireberlinski.substack.com/p/ ... ource=copy

Claire Berlinski tackles the "What next?" question. She is not hopeful.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

People still trying to wrap their minds around Trump are pretty much disqualified from making valid predictions of America's sociopolitical future at this point.

I don't care if that set is equal to everyone.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

The California Republican Party has installed 50 "official" ballot drops around the state
The dark gray metal boxes have been popping up over the past two weeks near churches, gun shops and Republican Party offices, mostly in conservative areas of a deep-blue state, affixed with a white paper label identifying them as either an “Official Ballot Drop off Box” or a “Ballot Drop Box.”
Hector Barajas, a spokesman for the California Republican Party, said the party would continue to distribute the boxes, without adding any label identifying them explicitly as Republican ballot drops.

Mr. Barajas — who disclosed that Republicans were responsible for the boxes only after being bombarded by questions by reporters on Monday — said the party’s actions were legal because state law did not restrict “ballot harvesting,” a practice that allows a third party to collect voters’ completed ballots.
“There is nothing in any of the laws or regulations cited in that advisory that indicate private organization drop boxes are not permitted,” said Mr. Barajas, who blamed Democrats for blocking anti-harvesting legislation.

“The way Democrats wrote the law, if we wanted to use a Santa bag, we could,” he said. “A locked heavy box seems a lot safer,” Mr. Barajas said.
Mr. Becerra called the boxes “fake,” adding that it was “illegal to tamper with a citizen’s vote.” He warned that anyone “engaging in this activity” could be subject to criminal prosecution or civil action.
Will anyone actually be charged, much less serve time, for this?

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Republicans are determined to fulfill their prophecy of ballot shenanigans. Can't run on lawn order if no one is breaking the law, so someone's gotta do it.
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."
Highway

Post by Highway »

dead_elvis wrote: 13 Oct 2020, 11:52 Republicans are determined to fulfill their prophecy of ballot shenanigans. Can't run on lawn order if no one is breaking the law, so someone's gotta do it.
I didn't know if it was that, or just their usual projection: "We do this stuff so we're going to accuse the other side of doing it before we get caught."
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
Kwix

Post by Kwix »

This is why we can't have nice things.
https://mustreadalaska.com/murder-in-ma ... w-in-jail/
"People are sometimes the answer, but they are ALWAYS the problem." -- Ellie
"I thought during the apocalypse I would be counting ammo rounds instead of toilet paper rolls." --Twba
Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Fuck's sake.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.
Warren

Post by Warren »

Oh Goddamnit.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Dont worry guys. There will probably be some incorrect frills on the courtroom flags. Easy out.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

This could hurt his chances of winning the election.
D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Hugh Akston wrote: 14 Oct 2020, 10:44 This could hurt his chances of winning the election.
Or help it. With Alaska, who knows?
JD

Post by JD »

At least maybe the story will be overshadowed by this one out of Alaska. The story is pretty confusing, but as far as I can make out:
- the mayor had a text affair with a reporter (who was a grown woman)
- she subsequently threatened to expose him, and also started claiming he was a pedophile, and threatened to kill him and his wife
- he admitted the affair and resigned
Also the reporter got arrested and fired after some kind of physical altercation at her workplace.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/13/us/A ... thens.html
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston
Warren

Post by Warren »

The guy resigned over a text affair? Makes me really interested in seeing those texts.
nicole

Post by nicole »

If only I were calling it for entropy

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
dead_elvis

Post by dead_elvis »

Just dropped off our ballots. As usual choices range from a prosecutor to another prosecutor.
IMG_9274.jpg
IMG_9274.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Aresen

Post by Aresen »

If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Bad news: