Calling 2020 for Entropy

Taktix®

Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 08:46

So what say ye?

Will Elizabeth Warren be the one to crack the glass ceiling? Will hindsight guide 2020, leading to the rise of the LP as a viable party? Will the U.S. not even exist as we know it by then? Will anyone dethrone Rachel as Queen Prognosticator?
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Fin Fang Foom

Re: Calling 2020 for Entropy

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Nov 2016, 08:56

Taktix® wrote:So what say ye?

Will Elizabeth Warren be the one to crack the glass ceiling? Will hindsight guide 2020, leading to the rise of the LP as a viable party? Will the U.S. not even exist as we know it by then? Will anyone dethrone Rachel as Queen Prognosticator?
Libertarianism is at its lowest point in a long time. Neither candidate was in any way for limited government.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 09:00

Fin Fang Foom wrote:

Libertarianism is at its lowest point in a long time. Neither candidate was in any way for limited government.
Even as a backlash to what will be a most terrible 2-to-4 years ahead?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Nov 2016, 09:02

Taktix® wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

Yes. Limited government was explicitly abandoned by the GOP candidate, and he won that way.
". . . even the federalist folk are probably a bit wary, and they're essentially cosplaying the preacher from footloose." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 09 Nov 2016, 09:06

This cycle has moved my inclinations even more towards minarchism/anarchism than ever before.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2016, 09:06

Broadly, there will be a battle between Western Dems and Northeast Dems, the rest of the bench is too barren.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 09:13

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

Yes. Limited government was explicitly abandoned by the GOP candidate, and he won that way.
I don't think that's true, or at least any moreso than the GOP has been abandoning limited government in the past. I've seen plenty of Trump propaganda co-opting small government slogans, empty as his rhetoric may be.

I don't think he abandoned limited government as much as he merely said whatever the crowd that was currently in front of him wanted to hear (and calculated that he needed to be in front of populist crowds in the Rust Belt states), and didn't bother trying to be tied down to principle. This was a winning strategy, apparently...

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 09 Nov 2016, 09:17

Taktix® wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:

I don't think that's true, or at least any moreso than the GOP has been abandoning limited government in the past. I've seen plenty of Trump propaganda co-opting small government slogans, empty as his rhetoric may be.

I don't think he abandoned limited government as much as he merely said whatever the crowd that was currently in front of him wanted to hear (and calculated that he needed to be in front of populist crowds in the Rust Belt states), and didn't bother trying to be tied down to principle. This was a winning strategy, apparently...
Build wall and end NAFTA were constant throughout the race.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Nov 2016, 10:41

I would like to think that there will be an anti-Trump backlash in 2018 and 2020.

I think he is going to be a disaster as president
1) From now until January 3, 2019, he has a GOP congress. In large measure, the brakes are off.
2) War with Iran, boots on the ground in Syria and other stupidities are definitely possible.
3) We really have no clue what he will attempt domestically, but another attempt to repeal Obamacare is a high probability.
4) The current growth cycle cannot go on forever. It may break in his presidency. He will wear it.
5) His followers are definitely going to be disappointed.
6) His complete tactlessness is going to piss off a lot of his allies. Remember that visit to Mexico? Yes, he was polite to their faces, but within hours, he was back in the US making the same anti-Mexican remarks. Does he somehow think the rest of the world doesn't listen to US news reports? Pissing off foreign leaders may play well to the yokeltariat, but it is a lousy way to run foreign policy.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

nicole

Post by nicole » 09 Nov 2016, 10:55

Ds will not nominate another white candidate.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 09 Nov 2016, 10:58

Aresen wrote:I would like to think that there will be an anti-Trump backlash in 2018 and 2020.
Yeah, I thought, it seems like Trump supporters are saying, "Our guy won! Don't the rest of you feel foolish now?" but they are the ones who are going to feel foolish when they see what a useless jackass their guy actually is in office.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 09 Nov 2016, 11:00

Ellie wrote:
Aresen wrote:I would like to think that there will be an anti-Trump backlash in 2018 and 2020.
Yeah, I thought, it seems like Trump supporters are saying, "Our guy won! Don't the rest of you feel foolish now?" but they are the ones who are going to feel foolish when they see what a useless jackass their guy actually is in office.
Not to fear -- when the jobs don't return and the dollar tumbles, it'll be Obama's fault.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2016, 11:11

The brakes are most assuredly not off. Mitch McConnell gave them a very effective playbook to use. If a personally liked, popular president could be stymied by procedural games, what will happen to an unliked president that lost the popular vote? He's also a guy that basically got elected because he can "get things done". Welcome to D.C., where the entire system is designed to stymie that. Especially because I'm guessing no one will love getting under Trump's skin more than Schumer. Congratulations on your brand spanking new monkey's paw.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2016, 11:18

Ellie wrote:
You mean like the way W and Obama supporters do? I bet they're so disappointed they reelect him in 2020.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2016, 11:24

Mo wrote:The brakes are most assuredly not off. Mitch McConnell gave them a very effective playbook to use. If a personally liked, popular president could be stymied by procedural games, what will happen to an unliked president that lost the popular vote? He's also a guy that basically got elected because he can "get things done". Welcome to D.C., where the entire system is designed to stymie that. Especially because I'm guessing no one will love getting under Trump's skin more than Schumer. Congratulations on your brand spanking new monkey's paw.
Oh please. It's fucking Wednesday already. Nobody remembers, much less gives a shit why they voted for him. It's like in 2008 when the Hope and Change guy was going put an end to partisanship, remember that? Then it was "Welcome to D.C. where the entire system is designed to stymie that", and Mr. I'm going to reach across the aisle decided to use his majority in congress to shove through a complete overhaul of health care, including an unprecedented mandate to purchase, without so much as a single vote from the other party.
Last edited by Warren on 09 Nov 2016, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 11:26

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:The brakes are most assuredly not off. Mitch McConnell gave them a very effective playbook to use. If a personally liked, popular president could be stymied by procedural games, what will happen to an unliked president that lost the popular vote? He's also a guy that basically got elected because he can "get things done". Welcome to D.C., where the entire system is designed to stymie that. Especially because I'm guessing no one will love getting under Trump's skin more than Schumer. Congratulations on your brand spanking new monkey's paw.
Oh please. It's fucking Wednesday already. Nobody remembers, much less gives a shit why they voted for him. It's like in 2008 when the Hope and Change guy was going put an end to partisanship, remember that? Then it was "Welcome to D.C. where the entire system is designed to stymie that".
LOL, as if Mitch "Kingpin" McConnell invented procedural tricks...

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2016, 11:29

Yeah, and the Ds got stomped in 2010 despite being able to sneak stuff through because they had a filibuster proof majority for about 12 months. The whole premise of Trump's campaign is that by my sheer force of will and skill, I will be able to get stuff done in DC.
Taktix® wrote:LOL, as if Mitch "Kingpin" McConnell invented procedural tricks...
He didn't invent them, but took them to the next level.

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2016, 11:33

I expect the Rs will get stomped in 2018. That will be good for Trump, he'll blame them for everything he couldn't do and so will his supporters.
It's really the next two years with the Rs in congress decide they need to be on the Trump train and he actually is able to do stuff that concerns me. I hope he spends them trying to build a wall and grabbing pussies.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 11:43

Radley just shared another gut-punch, although this time it's a normal news gut punch as opposed to the usual, unique Radley gut-punch:

Meet Trump's Cabinet-in-waiting

Fucking John Bolton for Sec of State. :roll:

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Nov 2016, 11:59

Taktix® wrote:Radley just shared another gut-punch, although this time it's a normal news gut punch as opposed to the usual, unique Radley gut-punch:

I'll be honest I don't see much difference between this and any other president's initial cabinet. Is this really worse than HRC's potential picks or anyone else's?

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 12:02

Painboy wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Radley just shared another gut-punch, although this time it's a normal news gut punch as opposed to the usual, unique Radley gut-punch:

I'll be honest I don't see much difference between this and any other president's initial cabinet. Is this really worse than HRC's potential picks or anyone else's?
Psst. The election's over, we can stop looking at everything through a Trump v. Clinton lens now...

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 09 Nov 2016, 12:07

Taktix® wrote:
Painboy wrote:

Psst. The election's over, we can stop looking at everything through a Trump v. Clinton lens now...
Which is why I put "or anyone else's" in there.

Mo

Post by Mo » 09 Nov 2016, 12:08

I dunno, Joe Biden for SoS >>>>>> John Bolton

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 09 Nov 2016, 12:26

Painboy wrote:
Taktix® wrote:
Painboy wrote:

Which is why I put "or anyone else's" in there.
Fair enough, but even still, even if they're par-for-the-course bad, they're still objectively bad, which was the extent of my point.

And that's a respectably-sized "if". Giuliani and Ben Carson and Christie and maybe Arpaio are pretty fucking awful, and since they haven't gotten down to business yet, I feel comfortable saying that crew is probably going to be worse than many previous ones...

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Nov 2016, 12:29

Fucking John Bolton for Sec of State. :roll:
See this is just more of the Trump Train that doesn't scare me. HRCs* cabinet would have scared me because she'd have put together a team of seasoned veterans in beltway politics dedicated to the pursuit of power. Trump's team is like the posse that falls out of a clown car.

My apologies Taktix®. You're point is well taken, but she really is the go-to contrast I needed.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT