400 ppm

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

Alternate headline. Harvard and Yale climate scientists got really baked when watching “Who Shot Mr. Burns”.

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2018/11/23/he ... index.html
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

Interesting, the feds day that coal is safe and wind is dying, while a private utility is going whole hog on renewables, even excluding subsidies, based on cost.

http://ieefa.org/nextera-solar-wind-and ... isruptive/
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

The markets have priced in climate change models based on CMEX weather futures prices.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.econom ... ate-change
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

Uh, do you really think it helps your anti-climate change case when you state that humans increased CO2 by 33%?

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Highway
Posts: 13856
Joined: 12 May 2011, 00:22
Location: the Electric Ocean

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Highway »

Mo wrote:Uh, do you really think it helps your anti-climate change case when you state that humans increased CO2 by 33%?

But it's just one dot, Mo!
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25469
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 400 ppm

Post by JasonL »

Ugh that’s dumb.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Warren »

I didn't know there was that much argon floating around.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14621
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Kolohe »

Warren wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:52 I didn't know there was that much argon floating around.
Never exposed to navy nuke ELT calculations? For the purposes of radcon math, air is 80% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, and 1% Argon. (And yes, it's not supposed to add up to 100%)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:52 I didn't know there was that much argon floating around.
Same
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:58
Warren wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 11:52 I didn't know there was that much argon floating around.
Never exposed to navy nuke ELT calculations? For the purposes of radcon math, air is 80% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen, and 1% Argon. (And yes, it's not supposed to add up to 100%)
R-5 was the Rad-Lab on my ship. They issued me a dosimeter, but that was as much contact with that world as I had. Everything with them took three times as long and involved mountains of paperwork. Whenever they were doing their contamination drills, mopping up bug juice, it was best to avoid that deck altogether.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30248
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: 400 ppm

Post by thoreau »

Warren wrote:I didn't know there was that much argon floating around.
It's not as famous as the other DOE labs, but it's actually a pretty big place.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18948
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: 400 ppm

Post by lunchstealer »

I could never see the the Argonne for the trees.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 17181
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Aresen »

I thought Argon was the guy who became king at the end of Lord of the Rings.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex
User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 25469
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: 400 ppm

Post by JasonL »

Noble, but not that noble.
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Warren »

Argon is what you say to an infant after they drink all their juice.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
Dangerman
Posts: 6990
Joined: 07 May 2010, 12:26

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Dangerman »

Or what he says when you ask a pirate about his lost love.
User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 13397
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Ellie »

I realize this is a stupid question to anyone who actually knows stuff, but I don't actually know the answer: if the sea level is going to rise, say, two inches, why can't we just build a two-inch-high wall all along the American coastline?
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD
User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 20369
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: 400 ppm

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Ellie wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 10:52 I realize this is a stupid question to anyone who actually knows stuff, but I don't actually know the answer: if the sea level is going to rise, say, two inches, why can't we just build a two-inch-high wall all along the American coastline?
Democrats would block funding.
User avatar
Kolohe
Posts: 14621
Joined: 06 May 2010, 10:51

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Kolohe »

"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex
User avatar
Mo
Posts: 25725
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Mo »

Kolohe wrote:"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
Also, in places like Florida, the seabed has porous rock, so all the sea wall in the world is going to do fuckall. That’s why the issue of sunny day flooding in Miami is a big issue without simple solutions.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18948
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: 400 ppm

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 12:47
Kolohe wrote:"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
Also, in places like Florida, the seabed has porous rock, so all the sea wall in the world is going to do fuckall. That’s why the issue of sunny day flooding in Miami is a big issue without simple solutions.
In Miami's case I can think of a solution.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 14:29
Mo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 12:47
Kolohe wrote:"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
Also, in places like Florida, the seabed has porous rock, so all the sea wall in the world is going to do fuckall. That’s why the issue of sunny day flooding in Miami is a big issue without simple solutions.
In Miami's case I can think of a solution.
I think you need to play a couple more rounds of "And then what?"
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 18948
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: 400 ppm

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 14:32
lunchstealer wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 14:29
Mo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 12:47
Kolohe wrote:"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
Also, in places like Florida, the seabed has porous rock, so all the sea wall in the world is going to do fuckall. That’s why the issue of sunny day flooding in Miami is a big issue without simple solutions.
In Miami's case I can think of a solution.
I think you need to play a couple more rounds of "And then what?"
What? My solution is final.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake
User avatar
thoreau
Posts: 30248
Joined: 06 May 2010, 12:56
Location: Back to the lab again

Re: 400 ppm

Post by thoreau »

But is Florida Man really a Miami phenomenon? I feel like the nukes need to land farther north.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo
User avatar
Warren
Posts: 30041
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 16:13
Warren wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 14:32
lunchstealer wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 14:29
Mo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 12:47
Kolohe wrote:"What is is this, a seawall for ants?!"

But seriously, what sealevel rise does is not so much on the static, that is mean level, but makes the maximums during tidal cycle variations and storm surges even higher (& even more extreme when they happen together)

It also causes salinity gradient in tidal areas to advance further inland, and sometimes, displace fresh water aquifers.
Also, in places like Florida, the seabed has porous rock, so all the sea wall in the world is going to do fuckall. That’s why the issue of sunny day flooding in Miami is a big issue without simple solutions.
In Miami's case I can think of a solution.
I think you need to play a couple more rounds of "And then what?"
What? My solution is final.
Does it put an end to spacetime?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Post Reply