400 ppm

Dangerman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 400 ppm

Post by Dangerman » 23 Sep 2019, 20:39

dbcooper wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 16:00
"And the best part is nuclear material and spent fuel, along with many construction materials, can be transported BY TRAIN!"

lunchstealer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by lunchstealer » 24 Sep 2019, 03:52

Your math checks out.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JD

Post by JD » 17 Oct 2019, 14:14

Do not fuck with commuters.
Climate activists who crippled rush hour across London on Thursday by climbing onto the roofs of trains were met with angry commuters who took it upon themselves to drag some of them back to platforms.
Videos have shown protestors using a ladder to climb on top of the roof of one train, sparking an immediate reaction from commuters on the platform. Some tossed food and drinks at protestors, which one person could be heard shouting, "I need to get to work, I have to feed my kids."
Another video showed at least one man reaching up and grabbing the leg of a protester on top of a Tube train, dragging him onto the platform where he was quickly surrounded as he lay on the ground.
This bit is particularly eye-roll-inducing:
Robin Boardman, a spokesman for the protesters, said that if such action is necessary to make the government take notice of their climate change demands, "then this is what we must do."

"None of us want to inconvenience ordinary people,"
Uh, inconveniencing ordinary people is exactly what you want to do, judging by the actions you've undertaken. I mean, claim that it's justified if that's what you really believe, but don't insult our intelligence.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Oct 2019, 14:18

Not going to lie, I liked the past spring when the extinction rebellion closed down the streets (or rather, caused the streets to be closed down) around Westminster. It made doing to tourist thing and walking around all that a heck of lot more pleasant experience.

But stopping public transit - stopping *dedicated right of way public transit that could use renewable energy with out too much more trouble* - that's hella stupid.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 20 Oct 2019, 22:44

Environmentalist parties make big gains in Switzerland.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/worl ... ction.html

I blame Greta Thunberg. Switzerland, Sweden, they're both sort of Germanic.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JD

Post by JD » 25 Nov 2019, 17:31

Michael Shellenberger, Time magazine Hero of the Environment for 2008 and winner of the 2008 Green Book Award, says could we please just cool it with the apocalyptic talk? No, we are not all going to die.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 25 Nov 2019, 17:50

The one confident prediction I will make is that, after Climate Change is no longer an issue, there will be another apocalyptic issue with a movement demanding we completely reorganize society to SOLVE it (by putting them in control, of course.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 25 Nov 2019, 23:53

JD wrote:Michael Shellenberger, Time magazine Hero of the Environment for 2008 and winner of the 2008 Green Book Award, says could we please just cool it with the apocalyptic talk? No, we are not all going to die.
The sad part to me is the follow up to apocalyptic claims - “aren’t you on the side of SCIENCE???” You should never ever make an important decision in your life based on the claims of environmental advocates. They just lie and misrepresent all the time then seem baffled when they don’t have credibility enough to drive global action.

I think carbon is the most significant in priced externality in the world and it should be priced. It’s crazy trying to get green types onboard with a large carbon tax.

Shem

Post by Shem » 26 Nov 2019, 02:39

JD wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 17:31
Michael Shellenberger, Time magazine Hero of the Environment for 2008 and winner of the 2008 Green Book Award, says could we please just cool it with the apocalyptic talk? No, we are not all going to die.
It makes some good points, but it also mischaracterizes some of the arguments that it's responding to. The mass-migration argument gets a lot more compelling when you consider that a huge chunk of the Middle East can't take much of a temperature increase before it becomes literally uninhabitable for part of the year. There's also the danger to water; a lot of places around the world depend on snow melt to recharge their aquifers from year to year. The lack of winter rain and snow is part of California's issue. You can't fix that problem without another increase in energy use, one that will probably make carbon release worse, at least in the short term.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 26 Nov 2019, 02:41

JD wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 17:31
While I worry about things like methane releases, that does seem to be more the scientifically-backed understanding of the situation.

And yeah, far-left people advocating the destruction of capitalism to save the human race is some pretty transparent stuff.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Mo

Post by Mo » 26 Nov 2019, 05:03

His point about natural disasters is grossly dishonest. He makes it sound like 3.1 M in 1931 was the run rate as opposed to a crazy outlier due to the Yangtze floods in that year. In 1930, there were 10,500, fewer than there were in 2018. And this is from the exact same source that he uses. He could have made an intellectually honest point that recent peaks have been lower than the peaks historically, due to technology, but instead he picks a local peak and compares it to the local trough.

https://ourworldindata.org/natural-disasters
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex