Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Warren

Re: Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 03:00
dhex wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 21:55
If they didn't overdo the whispering that's one of the finest political attack ads I've ever seen. It's a fundraiser aimed at people who want to be cruel to him but will never get the chance. I dig it.
Yes, it's much better than their fundraiser targeted at Louise Mensch.I also love that some of it is settling beefs with people they hate like Parscale.

And while it is clear that all the good graphics designers are Democrats, all the good attack ad producers are/were Republicans. An underrated potential outcome of the Trump era is a realignment in the balance of attack ad production.

We're using the new format for YouTube videos. There was a memo.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

So, DJT successfully put a shiv in Jeff Sessions' back. Assuming Tuberville goes on to knock of Doug Jones*, it looks like the GOP is going to be wearing Trump for some time.

*All the clever people say Tuberville will beat Jones and 538 has Jones the underdog
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem »

I mean, it's Alabama. This is, at most, going to be a headache for some fundraiser who winds up having to spend money to hold a seat that should be a no-brainer. That said, if I were Jones, I'd rather face Tuberville, who has spent the primary actively avoiding anything approaching vetting. Insofar as there's an infinitesimal shot, it's against him.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo »

I love how the AL Dems are going after him with the one useful line of attack, he’s a bad football coach.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Mo wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 16:44
I love how the AL Dems are going after him with the one useful line of attack, he’s a bad football coach.
If that's the state of American society then Jones could clinch it if by sponsoring a bill replacing prison with rehabilitation. (Brought to you by Carl's Jr.)
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Mo wrote:
:lol:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

I figured that was the only chance that Sessions, and now Jones, had/have: That Alabama grads can't bring themselves to vote for a former Auburn coach.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Mo

Post by Mo »

And then you hit Auburn grads with this 🔥🔥🔥

“Tuberville couldn’t score a TD for 2 weeks with 4 first rounders on his offense. He also lost to Vanderbilt.”
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Highway wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 18:02
I figured that was the only chance that Sessions, and now Jones, had/have: That Alabama grads can't bring themselves to vote for a former Auburn coach.
Bama fans may be feeling magnanimous with an 8-4 streak for the past twelve years, although the Tuberville stretch seems to have been bad for 'Bama so maybe not.

RE: him being a bad coach, I couldn't evaluate his overall record, but going 7-3 against 'Bama during his tenure is 90% of the qualifications for Auburn fans to call you a great coach. SEC championships and bowl appearances are great, but beating 'Bama is the number one goal.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

Mo wrote:
I mean, they're not wrong! He lost to Vandy! He's not fit for office!
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Mo

Post by Mo »

The Lincoln Project is definitely getting under the skin of the right. I’m pretty sure NR has more articles attacking them than attacking Biden. One of which was where a former senior editor of the Federalistwas saying that you can tell a lot about them by who funds the Lincoln Project.

ETA the bonkers part
Last edited by Mo on 20 Jul 2020, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

I don't care if they are funded by Meathead and a bunch of unemployed losers, TLP are the only real heroes of this election cycle.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo »

This is a question for DAR, were Democrats similarly pissy and dismissive of Reagan Democrats or did they try to actually win them over? Though I guess primarying Carter kinda answers that question.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 12:42
The Lincoln Project is definitely getting under the skin of the right. I’m pretty sure NR has more articles attacking them than attacking Biden. One of which was where a former senior editor was saying that you can tell a lot about them by who funds the Lincoln Project.
Is NR now on the Trump Train? If so, we should mount a magnet on Buckley's corpse, wrap the coffin in copper wire, and power a small city.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Shem

Post by Shem »

Number 6 wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 17:08
Mo wrote:
The Lincoln Project is definitely getting under the skin of the right. I’m pretty sure NR has more articles attacking them than attacking Biden. One of which was where a former senior editor was saying that you can tell a lot about them by who funds the Lincoln Project.
Is NR now on the Trump Train? If so, we should mount a magnet on Buckley's corpse, wrap the coffin in copper wire, and power a small city.
I've been saying that all along, but apparently it's considered "grave robbing."

Mo

Post by Mo »

Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:
With the exception of Ponnuru and Williamson, they are either all in or anti-anti. And I’m pretty certain that Buckley would have taken the anti-anti route.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Shem wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 17:28
Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:
I've been saying that all along, but apparently it's considered "grave robbing."
"That's just grave robbing with extra steps!"
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman »

Number 6 wrote:
Mo wrote:
David French left because there was so much rah rah Trumpism IIRC.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Did he leave, or was he pushed?

Mo

Post by Mo »

He and Goldberg claim they left voluntarily without being asked. I’m not sure how much I believe it and how much is them covering for friends/org to prevent bridge burning.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 19:06
He and Goldberg claim they left voluntarily without being asked. I’m not sure how much I believe it and how much is them covering for friends/org to prevent bridge burning.
Whether they were pushed or left on their own accord, the reason for their departure is the same.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 19:09
Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 19:06
Whether they were pushed or left on their own accord, the reason for their departure is the same.
FWIW that’s why Bret Stephens and Bari Weiss left the WSJ OpEd page years ago. They didn’t feel comfortable in an increasingly Trumpy environment.

Number 6

Post by Number 6 »

That's really too bad. Is there any publication that approximates a principled, thinking conservative conversation? Is there a principled, thinking conservative left anywhere?
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 14:33
This is a question for DAR, were Democrats similarly pissy and dismissive of Reagan Democrats or did they try to actually win them over? Though I guess primarying Carter kinda answers that question.

I thought Clinton - Southern, DLC - was the explicitly a plan to regain some Regan Democrats.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Kolohe wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 23:36
Mo wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 14:33

I thought Clinton - Southern, DLC - was the explicitly a plan to regain some Regan Democrats.
The DLC, for sure. Not sure how that relates to Carter, though. I mean, he didn't lose a second term because he was perceived as too liberal; he was perceived as ineffective. I don't think his own party was any more than lukewarm about his second campaign (maybe they were suffering malaise) and I suspect most of the Dems who voted for Reagan did so, more than any other reason, because of the Iran Hostage Crisis. If you mean the 84 race, I don't think the Mondale/Ferraro thought it had any chance of swaying the centerist Dems who voted for Reagan against Carter back into the fold. Clinton, otoh, absolutely. The DLC was all about moving to the center.