Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

JasonL

Re: Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Post by JasonL »

Uninspiring is the ticket.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Shem wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 23:40
For Republicans like her, the 2020 Democrats ranged from uninspiring (Biden) to terrifying (Sanders).
"Well I would vote for a Democrat, if only they'd run a Republican for the office."
I don't know. I think 2008 Obama (before people figured out what a baloney sandwich he is) could beat either 2016 or 2020 Trump, specifically on the inspiration factor.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Hugh Akston wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 13:04
Shem wrote:
21 Apr 2020, 23:40
For Republicans like her, the 2020 Democrats ranged from uninspiring (Biden) to terrifying (Sanders).
"Well I would vote for a Democrat, if only they'd run a Republican for the office."
I don't know. I think 2008 Obama (before people figured out what a baloney sandwich he is) could beat either 2016 or 2020 Trump, specifically on the inspiration factor.
Repeal the 22nd amendment and Obama would waltz over Trump based on the increased minority turnout alone.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

Obama (either one) wins his 2008 map minus Indiana and adds AZ easily. If he’s feeling frisky he could flip Georgia* and Texas, in that order.

* Especially if Kemp shits the bed with his reopening
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Which is why there is both gleeful and conspiratorial chatter, respectively, among certain Blue and Red circles about the prospect of Michelle Obama being Biden's running mate. Six months ago, I'd have said absolutely no way. Now I think it's a longshot but no longer unimaginable.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Michelle Obama? I guess the writers have decided that America should go full House of Cards in its final season.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

thoreau wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 14:25
Michelle Obama? I guess the writers have decided that America should go full House of Cards in its final season.
Hey, it got good ratings!

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 14:39
thoreau wrote:
22 Apr 2020, 14:25
Hey, it got good ratings!
Yeah, but were they as good as the ratings for the season finale of the Bachelor?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

The hell of it is, Michelle Obama would genuinely be better qualified (or at least, less unqualified) to be president than Trump: neither have any experience as politicos, but at least she was IIRC a lawyer, who presumably understands what the fucking law is, and what presidents can and cannot do within it. And she's not a malignant narcissist.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jennifer wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 18:37
The hell of it is, Michelle Obama would genuinely be better qualified (or at least, less unqualified) to be president than Trump: neither have any experience as politicos, but at least she was IIRC a lawyer, who presumably understands what the fucking law is, and what presidents can and cannot do within it. And she's not a malignant narcissist.
Honest-to-God, I'd actually enjoy watching a Biden-Obama ticket win just to watch rabid conservative heads exploding in every direction.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 20:33
Jennifer wrote:
Honest-to-God, I'd actually enjoy watching a Biden-Obama ticket win just to watch rabid conservative heads exploding in every direction.
Though I pity the future American history students who keep confusing the Obama/Biden and Biden/Obama administrations.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Oh man. You just blew my mind, DAR.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Mo

Post by Mo »

Jennifer wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 21:25
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
Though I pity the future American history students who keep confusing the Obama/Biden and Biden/Obama administrations.
To be followed by Obama/Biden II (Jill)
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Mo wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 07:10
Jennifer wrote:
23 Apr 2020, 21:25
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
To be followed by Obama/Biden II (Jill)
That's DOCTOR Jill to you!
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Please, please, please, please....

WHAT THE POLLS SAY ABOUT A MITCH MCCONNELL VS. AMY MCGRATH KENTUCKY SENATE RACE
The Kentucky Senate race between Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and his likely Democratic opponent Amy McGrath is shaping up to be one of the tightest, most contentious and expensive contests of the 2020 election cycle.

Polls have shown the race to be incredibly close, with the candidates either being tied or separated by single digits.

In a Change Research poll conducted earlier this year, McGrath and McConnell were deadlocked at 41 percent support among likely voters. In another survey from Garin-Hart-Yang, McConnell was ahead of McGrath by 3 percentage points—although his victory was within the poll's margin of error of plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.

Still, it could be too early to tell—for now, nonpartisan election forecasters estimate that the race will go to McConnell. The Cook Political Report has rated the election as "likely Republican." Sabato's Crystal Ball from the University of Virginia has also favored the contest as "safely Republican."
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I still think that Team Blue should focus on Moscow Mitch if they want to take both the White House and the Senate. Trump is so deep into outrage fatigue that ... I can't even come up with a metaphor, but it's something to do with a rip in spacetime.

McConnell, otoh, is unattractive, patrician, and you can point to all sorts of shenanigans that he's been up to. You just have to keep it from being derailed by the AOCs. There's plenty of seemingly sensible stuff that Mitch has blocked - especially election security and other stuff that should be bipartisan. Go at him as corrupt, not anti-progressive.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Moscow Mitch will no doubt explain that it would be inappropriate and rash to hold an election in the last year of his term, and therefore he will simply remain in office to avoid disruption and discontinuity.
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Mitch is going to get re-elected. Kentucky is the fifth most Trumpy state, and the guy that tried to take out Mitch last time (from the right) is the most unpopular (& now former) politician in the state.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I'm amused at the attempt though.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

People with disposable income should still consider donating to his opposition. He'll win, but if it looks like it might get even close to close they'll have to throw away way more money to save face.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I think it's going to be a waste of money on both sides honestly. Coke/Pepsi style.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Maybe I'll donate to Mitch, but I'll donate either Russian Rubles or Colombian Pesos.
--Mo

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 19:54
I think it's going to be a waste of money on both sides honestly. Coke/Pepsi style.
One has seniority, the other doesn't.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

That's a shame
Nine-term Congressman Steve King of Iowa will lose his Republican primary race to state Sen. Randy Feenstra on Tuesday, CNN projected, after King's racist comments led to his ostracization in Washington and Feenstra mobilized conservative Republicans to his insurgent campaign.

"I called Randy Feenstra a little bit ago and conceded the race to him," King said in a video posted to Facebook early Wednesday morning. "And I pointed out that there's some powerful elements in the swamp that he's going to have an awfully hard time pushing back against them."

The primary fight was an undeniable referendum on King -- not on his conservatism, but on his effectiveness in office. His lack of power, far more than his specific words and history of remarks on race, became a central issue in this year's race, with opponents arguing that he is unable to represent their views in the House or to the administration.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Team Red has decided to reuse the 2016 party platform for 2020. All of it.
The warning about speech online is one of more than three dozen unflattering references to either the “current president,” “current chief executive,” “current administration,” people “currently in control” of policy, or the “current occupant” of the White House that appear in the Republican platform. Adopted at the party’s 2016 convention, it has been carried over through 2024 after the executive committee of the Republican National Committee on Wednesday chose not to adopt a new platform for 2020.
“The Middle East is more dangerous now than at any time since the Second World War,” the platform reads. “Whatever their disagreements, presidents of both parties had always prioritized America’s national interests, the trust of friendly governments, and the security of Israel. That sound consensus was replaced with impotent grandstanding on the part of the current President and his Secretaries of State. The results have been ruinous for all parties except Islamic terrorists and their Iranian and other sponsors.”
The platform made a steadfast case against same-sex marriage and called for a constitutional amendment overturning the 2015 Supreme Court decision that struck down laws defining marriage between one man and one woman. And it blames “the current President” for seeking to expand workplace protections to include L.G.B.T.Q. people.