Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Mo

Re: Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Post by Mo »

This is what I was talking about re: Catholic integralists.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

The crazy are just coming out in droves these days.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Mo wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 17:14
Which I would call a subset of Christian Dominionism but, yeah, that's the basic and fundamentally bad idea.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Mo wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 17:14
I know, I was going to tell you to come on down but I figured you would.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

I had never heard the term 'Catholic integralist' before seeing it here. I googled it and am still WTF? Do these people have the slightest idea of the consequences of what they advocate? Or are they fully aware and fine with it?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I didn’t need to read that.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

JasonL wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 21:51
Your idea of what you need is based on a narrow conception of your own self-interest. But if you read it, contemplate it, understand it, embrace it, you will discover a far more profound sense of self-interest aligned with the common good. Trust me on this. You'll thank me later. And if you don't, there's always the gas chambers.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

Hugh Akston wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 22:12
JasonL wrote:
Your idea of what you need is based on a narrow conception of your own self-interest. But if you read it, contemplate it, understand it, embrace it, you will discover a far more profound sense of self-interest aligned with the common good. Trust me on this. You'll thank me later. And if you don't, there's always the gas chambers.
I would expect the Spanish Inquisition.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

I'm counting on the internecine battle between Roman Catholic conservatives and Evangelical Protestant conservatives, both of whom hate each other and suspect the others are going to Hell, anyway.

The funny (ironic) thing here is that the great religious wars in Europe didn't end because both sides started to be more tolerant of each other but because it finally dawned on them that neither side was going to win. This, in a nutshell, is my only hope for the future of religious wars, too.

Shem

Post by Shem »

Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
It's a good thing you're afflicted with crippling cynicism, otherwise you'd be far too clever to be allowed to live.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Shem wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 00:10
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
It's a good thing you're afflicted with crippling cynicism, otherwise you'd be far too clever to be allowed to live.
Though in fairness, the bar for being too clever to live is being lowered even as I type this.

Shem

Post by Shem »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 00:17
Shem wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 00:10
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Though in fairness, the bar for being too clever to live is being lowered even as I type this.
One they realized it was easier to wall off the places that aren't part of the Camps, that was more or less inevitable.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Kolohe wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 22:34
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Dude.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
31 Mar 2020, 23:30
I'm counting on the internecine battle between Roman Catholic conservatives and Evangelical Protestant conservatives, both of whom hate each other and suspect the others are going to Hell, anyway.

The funny (ironic) thing here is that the great religious wars in Europe didn't end because both sides started to be more tolerant of each other but because it finally dawned on them that neither side was going to win. This, in a nutshell, is my only hope for the future of religious wars, too.
In essence this is what I have always maintained about democracy: It finally dawned on people in western Europe that it was easier and safer to take turns holding power and let the other guy grumble until it was his turn than sieze power and chop the heads off your opponents until the other side seized power in turn and did the same to you.

Democracy was never about some noble ideal of fairness - it was a mutual non-murder pact.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

I don't even know what I read. It felt like the author was masturbating into my face. But with words!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 02:23
I don't even know what I read. It felt like the author was masturbating into my face. But with words!
This is true for most opinion pieces. Practice safe interneting!

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 02:23
Really Pham. Such language demonstrates a disheartening lack of respect for our learned legal authorities. Perhaps spending the remainder of your life in solitary confinement will teach you some manners. You'll thank me later.
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

There was no consent dammit! He just abused his word privilege and bukkake'd all into my face. He's a rapist. A word rapist. The bastard ....

Warren

Post by Warren »

Pham Nuwen wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 11:56
There was no consent dammit! He just abused his word privilege and bukkake'd all into my face. He's a rapist. A word rapist. The bastard ....
*tsk* *tsk* You know better than that Pham. Men can't be raped, and you present as mostly male.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen »

Mostly ...

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Kolohe wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Ergo, you are nobody.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
01 Apr 2020, 21:39
Kolohe wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Ergo, you are nobody.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Interesting longish read about a professional #neverTrumper
At first, the two focus groups that Longwell had convened for our visit seemed to suggest that the President was in more political trouble than we had realized. The groups—all women, all Trump voters with varying degrees of regret about him—started out identically: when the moderator asked how many thought the country was going in the right direction, not a single hand went up. The reason was their concern about the President. In the second group, a retired nurse said, “He has ability, but he’s also a narcissistic sociopath. And I voted for him! We all did.” (When she said this, Longwell exclaimed from where we were observing, behind a two-way mirror, “We have a George!”—as in George Conway, who had recently argued in The Atlantic that Trump has narcissistic personality disorder.) Others spoke of the “degradation of the office of President,” said that Trump was “just so full of hate,” and bemoaned his “flamboyant obnoxiousness.” Everyone said Trump’s Twitter feed was a problem.
But as she watched the Democratic Presidential race unfold, with its faltering front-runner and disjointed debates, Longwell became increasingly discouraged. For Republicans like her, the 2020 Democrats ranged from uninspiring (Biden) to terrifying (Sanders). Republican elected officials, meanwhile, seemed to be even more vocally pro-Trump than before impeachment. When Longwell and I returned to Pennsylvania in January for more focus groups, the women were still leery of Trump and the direction of the country, but this time the conversation was dominated by the most pro-Trump woman in the room. Sounding like a Fox News host on a roll, she said, “I think they hate him so bad because he threatens their liberal agenda. They want to get rid of him any way they can.”
tl;dr "the other party is the problem" is the problem

Shem

Post by Shem »

For Republicans like her, the 2020 Democrats ranged from uninspiring (Biden) to terrifying (Sanders).
"Well I would vote for a Democrat, if only they'd run a Republican for the office."

Warren

Post by Warren »

I'd settle for uninspiring.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT