Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Whither the GOP? (post-Trump edition)

Post by Hugh Akston » 26 Nov 2019, 22:12

It's amazing how destructive libertarians are considering our lack of actual influence in the halls of power.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Pham Nuwen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Pham Nuwen » 26 Nov 2019, 22:24

Weak yet all powerful is a thing for people when describing someone they disagree with on issues.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Nov 2019, 00:04

Goes like - it can’t be us that’s wrong. It can be them cheating or using lies to dupe people, but it definitely can’t be them with a compelling message. So, if it’s not us and it’s not them it must be an outsider influence. Russia, libertarians, whatever.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 27 Nov 2019, 08:59

Classical liberalism is good except when it allows gays to marry or skinheads to march in the streets.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 27 Nov 2019, 10:59

Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 21:16
And some of this flailing is not too far from the left-wing's flailing. Somehow, classical liberalism causes everything to go wrong, at least when it disagrees with the speaker.
Yeah, I was just thinking I'd heard almost the exact same complaint from leftists: too much freedom of speech is bad because people with bad views, like neo-nazis, get it too. Stuff like this really makes me want to taunt people with "A Nolan chart says what?"
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Nov 2019, 11:05

JD wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 10:59
Eric the .5b wrote:
26 Nov 2019, 21:16
And some of this flailing is not too far from the left-wing's flailing. Somehow, classical liberalism causes everything to go wrong, at least when it disagrees with the speaker.
Yeah, I was just thinking I'd heard almost the exact same complaint from leftists: too much freedom of speech is bad because people with bad views, like neo-nazis, get it too. Stuff like this really makes me want to taunt people with "A Nolan chart says what?"
CTSSS
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Nov 2019, 11:18

Nolan chart? *googles* oh.

Warren

Post by Warren » 27 Nov 2019, 11:22

Pham Nuwen wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:18
I'm not going to ask you for your decoder ring at this time. But consider yourself on probation.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD » 27 Nov 2019, 11:27

Warren wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:22
Pham Nuwen wrote:
I'm not going to ask you for your decoder ring at this time. But consider yourself on probation.
Ha - I was going to make almost exactly the same comment.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 27 Nov 2019, 11:51

The Kling 3 axes is a great improvement on the nolan chart.

https://www.cato-unbound.org/2019/11/08 ... -discourse

The Three-Axes Model

Consider three words: oppression, barbarism, coercion. Oppression occurs when one group in society is abused by a more powerful group. Examples include slavery in the United States and Jim Crow segregation. Barbarism occurs when people engage in engage in acts that were once common but now seem abhorrent. Examples include torture, rape, and pillage. . Coercion occurs when people do something not voluntarily but under threat of violence. Examples include paying taxes. All three words have negative connotations. We are against all of them.

But progressives, conservatives, and libertarians differ in their preferences for framing issues. Progressives often describe political life as a moral struggle against oppression, in which people with other points of view are on the side of the oppressors. Conservatives often describe political life as a moral struggle to preserve civilization, in which people with other points of view are on the side of barbarism. Libertarians often describe political life as a moral struggle to preserve liberty, in which people with other points of view are on the side of coercive government power.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 27 Nov 2019, 15:48

JD wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:27
Warren wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 11:22
Pham Nuwen wrote:
Ha - I was going to make almost exactly the same comment.
I vaguely recall this chart many moons ago in regards to my reason days. I cant remember everything, guys.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Nov 2019, 01:51

Seeing a shithead advisor for shithead Kemp tell off Gaetz was pretty amusing.

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2019, 08:54

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 01:51
Seeing a shithead advisor for shithead Kemp tell off Gaetz was pretty amusing.
Ryan Matthew Mahoney wrote:Inquiring minds want to know if you prefer flat front jorts, pleated jorts, or cargo jorts with room to put all of your Legos, Pokémon cards, and jellybeans.
That's a sick burn there. But it's such a trumpian line. Sooner or later we're all going to have to admit, this is Donald Trumps world and we're just living in it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Nov 2019, 12:04

I already made piece with that warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 Nov 2019, 12:33

I will not accept a world in which Trump gets a full term and Firefly doesn't even get a full season.

Fox could, if they wanted, do something about this.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Warren

Post by Warren » 30 Nov 2019, 14:21

Pham Nuwen wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 12:04
I already made piece with that warren
That's what makes you a great American again.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 30 Nov 2019, 14:33

Goddammit! I pulled a warren!

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Dec 2019, 22:04

"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 02 Dec 2019, 22:42

Hugh Akston wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 22:04
Stupid Party. Now it's official.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 02 Dec 2019, 22:59

I feel like there might be a strong correlation between that chart and the one showing how many Republican voters can name even one verifiable fact about each of the listed presidents.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 02 Dec 2019, 23:12

I'm curious how they got those answers.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 02 Dec 2019, 23:45

Painboy wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 23:12
I'm curious how they got those answers.
Methodology is detailed on the last page of the full results.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Dec 2019, 00:00

I'm sure more living Republicans would have ranked Lincoln more highly if it weren't for that pesky Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 03 Dec 2019, 00:12

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:00
I'm sure more living Republicans would have ranked Lincoln more highly if it weren't for that pesky Emancipation Proclamation and 13th Amendment.
Refusing to abandon Fort Sumter was also problematic.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 03 Dec 2019, 00:13

Aresen wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:12
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 00:00
Refusing to abandon Fort Sumter was also problematic.
That was just foolish. The humidity there is unbearable.