Brexit: what say ye?

Mo

Re: Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2019, 18:55

The thing I don’t get is how Corbyn still leads Labour. He’s basically the only thing preventing Labour from taking control of Commons and yet he remains their standard bearer. It’s like making Bernie Sanders less charismatic, anti-Semitic twin be your representative.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 28 Mar 2019, 23:16

Yeah. The degree to which (1) everyone involved in this is a fuckup an (2) everyone involved in this is hated is pretty impressive.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2019, 23:23

Mo wrote:
28 Mar 2019, 18:55
The thing I don’t get is how Corbyn still leads Labour. He’s basically the only thing preventing Labour from taking control of Commons and yet he remains their standard bearer. It’s like making Bernie Sanders less charismatic, anti-Semitic twin be your representative.
Corbyn and his hard left cadre have taken control of Labour like the Paleo-right have taken control of the GOP. Even if Corbyn goes to the Great Worker's Paradise in the Sky, there is no way they will allow a moderate to take the leadership of Labour. They are conducting a slow purge of anyone who's 'soft.'
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2019, 12:07

Makes me think of the old saw about stupidity being 'asking the same question and expecting a different answer.'

Parliament rejects May's deal for 3rd time.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Mar 2019, 18:46

Possibly useful article from Slate, summarizing the Brexit mess this far.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... e-how.html
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 04:43

So now May is considering asking the Queen to step in. I think it's pretty safe to say that when you've fucked up so bad that you're considering bringing in a ceremonial monarch to solve your problem, you're in way over your head.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 01 Apr 2019, 07:46

I heard when Progressive fucks up a big actuarial assumption they call Flo.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2019, 09:02

Mo wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 04:43
So now May is considering asking the Queen to step in. I think it's pretty safe to say that when you've fucked up so bad that you're considering bringing in a ceremonial monarch to solve your problem, you're in way over your head.
OTOH, cutting off a few heads might be cathartic.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Apr 2019, 11:09

But the Queen? In what capacity is she even capable of stepping in? I bet they're doing the Weekend at Bernie's thing with her.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2019, 11:21

Warren wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 11:09
But the Queen? In what capacity is she even capable of stepping in? I bet they're doing the Weekend at Bernie's thing with her.
Honestly, I have no idea. About the only thing the queen can do is summon all the party leaders and ask them to form a coalition government.

(I was surprised when May wasn't forced to resign when she lost the first Brexit vote back in January. In a Westminster-style parliament, losing an important vote like that is considered a vote of 'no confidence' and the PM has to go to the monarch (or Governor-General in Canada) and offer her/his resignation.)

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 11:24

Warren wrote:
Technically, the monarch has veto power, so if Parliament did a soft Brexit (customs union) end around May, she could ask the queen not to give assent and throw the whole country into a full blown constitutional crisis.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2019, 11:30

Mo wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 11:24
Warren wrote:
Technically, the monarch has veto power, so if Parliament did a soft Brexit (customs union) end around May, she could ask the queen not to give assent and throw the whole country into a full blown constitutional crisis.
IIRC my high school history class, the last time it was used was in the reign of Queen Anne - 300 years ago. Liz Deux is considered something of an expert on the unwritten English constitution and I am pretty sure she does not want to put her hand into that basket of snakes.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 12:02

NFW Liz Dos does it, but the fact the Tories are even considering it shows how much they fucked this up.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Apr 2019, 12:30

Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
I'm not questioning what options are open, I'm questioning the incontinent old bat's ability to execute any of them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Apr 2019, 12:32

Here's an easy way for the UK to get an instant customs and regulatory union with the US: Theresa May just has to gloatingly tell Trump that the UK totally got one over on the US in the Treaty of Paris. He'll tear it up and boom! The UK has 50 new colonies in North America.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Apr 2019, 17:41

I could plausibly see Queen Elizabeth doing something big and unusual to reset everything, then abdicating the throne to her son.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

dhex

Post by dhex » 01 Apr 2019, 18:17

Kolohe wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 17:41
I could plausibly see Queen Elizabeth doing something big and unusual to reset everything, then abdicating the throne to her son.
Plot twist is very 2019 as well.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 18:18

Warren wrote:
Mo wrote:
Warren wrote:
I'm not questioning what options are open, I'm questioning the incontinent old bat's ability to execute any of them.
Their incoherent nonagenarian is more coherent than our septuagenarian.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Apr 2019, 18:47

First, if the Queen did pull off a plot twist, it would be with considerable guidance from a whole host of councilors, including the PM. So the success or failure of any Queen's Gambit has less to do with her mental acuity and more to do with Theresa May's political savvy.

In other words, it won't work.

Second, any Royal intervention into Brexit would further undermine whatever legitimacy monarchy retains in the UK. Handing the throne to Charles would not help.

Handing it to William, OTOH...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Apr 2019, 18:54

thoreau wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 18:47
First, if the Queen did pull off a plot twist, it would be with considerable guidance from a whole host of councilors, including the PM. So the success or failure of any Queen's Gambit has less to do with her mental acuity and more to do with Theresa May's political savvy.
I mean Labour could step up to bat being led by that savvy operator Jeremy Corby....

nope

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2019, 19:12

November 5th is so far away...

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Apr 2019, 20:56

So I am to understand there will be no ceremonial decapitations? No everyone watching their feet then slowly shuffling up to the queen for a photo while the blood still runs on her sword?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Apr 2019, 20:58

Many people would probably be happy to offer up much of Parliament for said decapitations, but Her Majesty is said to respect British law, which disallows capital punishment.

'Tis a pity.
--Mo

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 01 Apr 2019, 22:54

thoreau wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 20:58
Many people would probably be happy to offer up much of Parliament for said decapitations, but Her Majesty is said to respect British law, which disallows capital punishment.

'Tis a pity.
It's not illegal if the Queen does it.
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 01 Apr 2019, 22:58

Number 6 wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 22:54
thoreau wrote:
01 Apr 2019, 20:58

'Tis a pity.
It's not illegal if the Queen does it.
Bam!
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex