Brexit: what say ye?

D.A. Ridgely

Re: Brexit: what say ye?

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Jun 2016, 16:06

thoreau wrote:Isn't English a co-official language of Ireland? I thought that if it was an official language of an EU member state then it would be an official language of the EU. Until the Irish get more serious about their Gaeilge lessons I think they're going to want the EU to keep using English.
If the rest of the EU wants to keep communicating with one another, they better keep English, too.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 30 Jun 2016, 16:27

Just overheard a couple people at work talking about it. By their tone you would have thought they were talking about how Germany just invaded Poland.

This has to be one of the most over hyped crises I've heard in a long while.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 30 Jun 2016, 21:18

Painboy wrote:Just overheard a couple people at work talking about it. By their tone you would have thought they were talking about how Germany just invaded Poland.
Well, it would help get Britain on side with France once more.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 05 Jul 2016, 14:40

thoreau wrote:Don't just admit the UK (or whatever will soon remain of it) to NAFTA, bring in all of the UK Territories in the Western Hemisphere, and maybe even the former colonies that still have the Queen on their money. Make it an all-out restoration of the British Empire, except with the US in the lead role.
So yesterday, some friends and I had formal tea service at the Dushanbe Tea House in Boulder. The building was originally built in Tajikistan, and moved piece-by-piece to Boulder, and offer more-or-less true English high tea service, complete with the pastry tower and cucumber sandwiches.

So yes, we celebrated July 4th while having English tea service in a former-Soviet building, because that's what we do. We defeat you (often through just making it too expensive to keep fucking with us) then we turn you into our own personal airbase (Dushanbe's airport has been a NATO supply and logistics base to support the Afghan war), and we take your shit for our own amusement.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Aug 2016, 20:47

Surprisingly, Nigel Farage is douchier than he looks.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Sep 2016, 09:51

Holy shit, I did not think the Tories would be dumb enough to play a game of chicken with the financial sector over passporting. Who the hell is going to pay for NHS? You know what's really easy to move? Money.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2016, 09:54

Isn't that the epitome of Trumpian tough guy negotiations? Full. Retard.

Mo

Post by Mo » 23 Sep 2016, 10:12

FSS employs 4% of Brits and provides 12% of tax receipts.

Shem

Post by Shem » 23 Sep 2016, 12:25

Mo wrote:Holy shit, I did not think the Tories would be dumb enough to play a game of chicken with the financial sector over passporting. Who the hell is going to pay for NHS? You know what's really easy to move? Money.
They were dumb enough to play chicken with Brexit in the first place, and still haven't acknowledged just how much they screwed themselves. What exactly made you think they suddenly smartened up?
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Sep 2016, 13:04

I have this view where people say dumb things and signal dumb things but when push comes to shove they acknowledge narrative unpleasant realities. I get burned on this more often than I'd like.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Sep 2016, 13:15

I, for one, look forward to buying a comfortable little cottage by the sea when property values plummet.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Sep 2016, 22:08

D.A. Ridgely wrote:I, for one, look forward to buying a comfortable little cottage by the sea when property values plummet.
In China?
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Oct 2016, 23:26

Football manager is including a Brexit mode based on different scenarios for freedom of movement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/201 ... ing-to-ma/

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 04 Nov 2016, 23:10

Funny that Brexit came off the rails in exactly the way everyone who knows the slightest about Britain's unwritten constitution knew it should.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 04 Nov 2016, 23:20

Soooo

How is it coming off the rails?

I try to follow the news, but I keep getting attacked by a rapey xenophobic orangutan and Malibu Unpersonable Candidate Barbie and have to go wrap my head in a towel for a while.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"Repeated headdesk is dangerous yo." - JasonL

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 05 Nov 2016, 00:01

lunchstealer wrote:Soooo

How is it coming off the rails?

I try to follow the news, but I keep getting attacked by a rapey xenophobic orangutan and Malibu Unpersonable Candidate Barbie and have to go wrap my head in a towel for a while.
Parliament actually has to vote on whether to leave. The plebiscite does not givevthe authority to the government.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 15 Nov 2016, 23:44

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 04 Dec 2016, 18:21

when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 04 Dec 2016, 22:49

There are two countries carrying the vast majority of the load in NATO, and after the election, one is now run by someone making, "What's in this for me?" noises. Suddenly, punishing the other one seems less wise.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 28 Mar 2017, 16:40

How awesome would it be for Britain to beg Scotland to stay in the UK and then vote to leave the EU only to have Scotland vote to stay in the EU?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 28 Mar 2017, 19:35

I thought that was the conventional wisdom. The margin in Scotland's failed independence bid was the worry that staying in the EU wasn't automatic. But if Brexit actually does come to pass, Scotland independence will become the vast majority opinion. (And Northern Ireland might finally merge with the Republic)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Mar 2017, 20:04

In a way, I'd like Scotland to leave the UK.

1) There are real questions whether the EU would take Scotland as a member. Spain would probably veto it on the basis that it would encourage Basque and Catalan separatists in Spain. Belgium might also oppose it because they dealing with Fleming and Walloon issues that would flare up if an independent Scotland joined the EU. France also has issues with the Basques. This could leave the Scots out in the cold.
2) Scotland is already an economic dependency on the UK. Severing that link and given the overwhelmingly hard-left stance of both the Scottish Nationalists and Labour, the country would quickly become the Venezuela of Europe. The Germans do not want to make PIIGS into PIIGSS.

I think a Scottish economic catastrophe would be the best counter-example to Nativist arguments in a generation.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Mar 2017, 02:43

Aresen wrote:1) There are real questions whether the EU would take Scotland as a member. Spain would probably veto it on the basis that it would encourage Basque and Catalan separatists in Spain. Belgium might also oppose it because they dealing with Fleming and Walloon issues that would flare up if an independent Scotland joined the EU. France also has issues with the Basques. This could leave the Scots out in the cold.
The Spaniards have already said that since Scottish independence will come at the end of a process approved by Parliament, they don't view the Basque situation as being analogous. The Belgians and French would more than likely follow suit. If anything, it strengthens their hand by demonstrating that unilateral separation is beyond the pale.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 29 Mar 2017, 04:41

Shem wrote: The Spaniards have already said that since Scottish independence will come at the end of a process approved by Parliament, they don't view the Basque situation as being analogous. The Belgians and French would more than likely follow suit. If anything, it strengthens their hand by demonstrating that unilateral separation is beyond the pale.
Can you unpack that last sentence a bit? What demonstrates that unilateral separation is beyond the pale? And is the hand being strengthened the Scottish argument for remaining in the EU after independence?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Mar 2017, 12:37

The anti-separatist argument is strengthened by the precedent of a requirement of approval by the original government in order to subsequently enter into the EU. The Spanish side is strengthened by giving them someone to point to as having done it the "right" way.