Brexit: what say ye?

Aresen

Re: Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2016, 00:51

Hugh Akston wrote:
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:The interesting thing to come out of this is to see how many people all of the sudden love simple majoritarianism and direct democracy.
?

I think most of us would be small-r republicans, where the popular vote is constrained by a bill of rights and a strong limitation on government powers.

TBS, if you are going to grant any power to your government, it is probably better if that government represents at least a majority of the demos.
A number of people on H&R in particular are celebrating Brexit as the Will of the People smashing the faces of the prog elitist central planners. Even after you point out that populism is a fickle and unpredictable weapon (an unguided missile, as someone aptly put it), they're fine because it landed on the other guys this time.

For my part, it's not clear that living under the thumb of the great unwashed is any different from, much less better than, living under the thumb of the technocratic elite.
You get better cuisine with the latter.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 28 Jun 2016, 01:04

Did you mean
Aresen wrote:I doubt that anyone here would dispute that a misbehaving member of the elite should not be exempt from punishment.
?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 28 Jun 2016, 01:31

the innominate one wrote:Did you mean
Aresen wrote:I doubt that anyone here would dispute that a misbehaving member of the elite should not be exempt from punishment.
?
You are right. Thanks for spotting it and not assuming I'd been bought out by the Bilderberg membership*. I've corrected the omission in the original.

*They didn't even make me an offer, dammit!
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 29 Jun 2016, 02:44

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2016, 11:40

Best US response to Brexit policy advice I've heard so far, Invite Great Britain to join NAFTA.
Don't even bother changing the name. Just have GB bring it's own goat, perform the rites, and show them the handshake.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 29 Jun 2016, 11:53

Warren wrote:Best US response to Brexit policy advice I've heard so far, Invite Great Britain to join NAFTA.
Don't even bother changing the name. Just have GB bring it's own goat, perform the rites, and show them the handshake.
The only major problem I can see with that proposal is where Trump would build a terrific wall to keep British goods and immigrants out.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jun 2016, 11:55

He'd just extend Hadrian's wall. And get Mexico to pay for it.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2016, 12:04

the innominate one wrote:He'd just extend Hadrian's wall. And get Mexico to pay for it.
Well naturally we'd want to keep out the Scots.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 29 Jun 2016, 13:12

I had a similar thought about NAFTA. They wouldn't go for it, though.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jun 2016, 13:30

Eric the .5b wrote:I had a similar thought about NAFTA. They wouldn't go for it, though.
Well, we could try to jazz up the name a little to attract the Brits. "Oceania" sounds nice...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2016, 13:42

Yeah, but then the European Union would expand into Asia, and ASEAN would probably start trying to amp up its economic clout...
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Jun 2016, 13:59

It looks like the EU is going to fuck Britain so hard over this.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 29 Jun 2016, 14:42

Warren wrote:Best US response to Brexit policy advice I've heard so far, Invite Great Britain to join NAFTA.
True fact: long ago, before the continents broke apart, America's Appalachian/Blue Ridge mountains were part of the same mountain chain that goes through Scotland. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch (by politics standards) to say that the British Isles have really been part of North America all along. It'll be like Homecoming!
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 29 Jun 2016, 14:45

Don't just admit the UK (or whatever will soon remain of it) to NAFTA, bring in all of the UK Territories in the Western Hemisphere, and maybe even the former colonies that still have the Queen on their money. Make it an all-out restoration of the British Empire, except with the US in the lead role.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 29 Jun 2016, 15:03

Ron Bailey quipped decades ago that the indefinate "we" should just buy England and turn it into England-Land, the biggest "old country" theme park in the world. Immigration has since made it more problematic, but the idea was to hire upper class Englishmen to walk around all day in bowler hats saying "pip pip," raggedy dressed Cockneys addressing tourists as "Gov'ner" etc. It would, after all, just be an extension of the only plausible justification for the British Royalty.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 29 Jun 2016, 16:03

Jennifer wrote:
True fact: long ago, before the continents broke apart, America's Appalachian/Blue Ridge mountains were part of the same mountain chain that goes through Scotland. So it wouldn't be too much of a stretch (by politics standards) to say that the British Isles have really been part of North America all along. It'll be like Homecoming!
Maybe, but by that logic we'd have to offer an invite to the Scandinavians, and we all know what happened the last time Scandinavian immigration went unfettered...
"who will quietly mumble for the introverts?" - dhex

"If it's a legitimate dictatorship the body politic has ways of shutting the whole thing down." - thoreau

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jun 2016, 16:04

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Ron Bailey quipped decades ago that the indefinate "we" should just buy England and turn it into England-Land, the biggest "old country" theme park in the world. Immigration has since made it more problematic, but the idea was to hire upper class Englishmen to walk around all day in bowler hats saying "pip pip," raggedy dressed Cockneys addressing tourists as "Gov'ner" etc. It would, after all, just be an extension of the only plausible justification for the British Royalty.
It's been done

http://arresteddevelopment.wikia.com/wiki/Wee_Britain

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 29 Jun 2016, 17:04

Nigel Farage's speech to the EU is highly entertaining. I mean, someone with an English accent being a dick is always good for a chuckle, but he really goes for it. Plus, it's nice to hear a speech that's not stuffed with ums, ahs, let me be clears, and other verbal crutches.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

holy shit there will never be an end until the sweet release of death (as dictated by the death panels, natch) - lunch

Shem

Post by Shem » 29 Jun 2016, 17:39

Andrew wrote:Nigel Farage's speech to the EU is highly entertaining. I mean, someone with an English accent being a dick is always good for a chuckle, but he really goes for it. Plus, it's nice to hear a speech that's not stuffed with ums, ahs, let me be clears, and other verbal crutches.
Yeah, but it has more than a little bit of a"mocking the native tribesmen while you're still in range of their arrows" air to it.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 29 Jun 2016, 19:25

Just what you'd expect from a three-time cover model for Punchable Face magazine. (credit: John Oliver)

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2016, 19:28

Shem wrote:
Andrew wrote:Nigel Farage's speech to the EU is highly entertaining. I mean, someone with an English accent being a dick is always good for a chuckle, but he really goes for it. Plus, it's nice to hear a speech that's not stuffed with ums, ahs, let me be clears, and other verbal crutches.
Yeah, but it has more than a little bit of a"mocking the native tribesmen while you're still in range of their arrows" air to it.
He wouldn't be the first pompous perforated pommy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Jun 2016, 19:34

Fin Fang Foom wrote:It looks like the EU is going to fuck Britain so hard over this.
Meh. They'll be fucking themselves just as hard. It'll all blow over in six months.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 29 Jun 2016, 19:39

Yeah a talk radio guy played it when I was driving around yesterday. I was thinking of that speech when I just said on twitter that if Trump were half the politician that Farage is, it would be really scary in America right now.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Jun 2016, 19:54

I am kind of curious about joe's ("Trust Democracy") reaction to Brexit is.

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 29 Jun 2016, 20:01

Kolohe wrote:
Yeah a talk radio guy played it when I was driving around yesterday. I was thinking of that speech when I just said on twitter that if Trump were half the politician that Farage is, it would be really scary in America right now.
For the Republicans? UKIP has an MP.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer