Brexit: what say ye?

Shem

Re: Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Shem » 05 Sep 2019, 12:00

She says she was wearing a tube top and they used pixelation to make it look like she was topless, even though she wasn't. That whole family is full of liars.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JD

Post by JD » 06 Sep 2019, 14:44

The tabloids have been having a field day with things, at least.

Beep boop, you silly humans.

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2019, 15:01

So I asked some of my coworkers why Corbyn is still leader of Labour and none of them had a good answer either. Best case is Lib Dems getting a plurality.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 06 Sep 2019, 22:34

Mo wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 15:01
So I asked some of my coworkers why Corbyn is still leader of Labour and none of them had a good answer either. Best case is Lib Dems getting a plurality.
Same reason BoJo is PM; the tiny, tiny chunk of people who care enough about parties to pay for membership love him, and they're the ones who choose the leader.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Sep 2019, 03:23

But judging by the freak show that is the Tories, BoJo makes some sense. And there are people who like him. He was, after all, elected mayor of London. Corbyn’s constituency seems much smaller outside Labour members.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Sep 2019, 18:22

It is beginning to look like BOTH the Tories and Labour are falling apart:

Amber Rudd quits government over Johnson's Brexit stance
Amber Rudd has quit the cabinet and surrendered the Conservative whip saying she cannot "stand by" while "moderate Conservatives are expelled".

The work and pensions secretary said she no longer believed leaving the EU with a deal was the government's "main objective".

Ms Rudd described the sacking of 21 Tory MPs on Tuesday as an "assault on decency and democracy".

No 10 said it was "disappointed" by the resignation of a "talented" minister.
Labour crisis: Corbyn condemned as MP set to quit in shock blow - 'Party will not survive'
John Mann has announced he is quitting as Labour MP for Bassetlaw, Nottingham, as he launched a scathing attack on Jeremy Corbyn. He declared the Labour Party “will not survive” the erosion of principles under Mr Corbyn’s leadership and said he did not think the Labour leader was “appropriate to be prime minister”. Mr Mann, who served as a Labour MP for 18 years, will be leaving the role to take up a full-time role as the Government’s anti-semitism chief.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Sep 2019, 18:27

Mo wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 03:23
But judging by the freak show that is the Tories, BoJo makes some sense. And there are people who like him. He was, after all, elected mayor of London. Corbyn’s constituency seems much smaller outside Labour members.
The leader of the party is the leader in Parliament, and literally the only people who are allowed to vote for the leader of the party are dues-paying members. And they largely love Corbyn, because years of mismanagement and propaganda** drove out the people who don't.

**There's a universe where Ed Miliband learned to eat a bacon sandwich like a normal person, the photos of him failing to do so didn't spend weeks in all the tabloids, and David Cameron never got anywhere near 10 Downing Street in 2015.

Shem

Post by Shem » 07 Sep 2019, 18:30

Aresen wrote:
07 Sep 2019, 18:22
It is beginning to look like BOTH the Tories and Labour are falling apart:

Amber Rudd quits government over Johnson's Brexit stance
Amber Rudd has quit the cabinet and surrendered the Conservative whip saying she cannot "stand by" while "moderate Conservatives are expelled".

The work and pensions secretary said she no longer believed leaving the EU with a deal was the government's "main objective".

Ms Rudd described the sacking of 21 Tory MPs on Tuesday as an "assault on decency and democracy".

No 10 said it was "disappointed" by the resignation of a "talented" minister.
Labour crisis: Corbyn condemned as MP set to quit in shock blow - 'Party will not survive'
John Mann has announced he is quitting as Labour MP for Bassetlaw, Nottingham, as he launched a scathing attack on Jeremy Corbyn. He declared the Labour Party “will not survive” the erosion of principles under Mr Corbyn’s leadership and said he did not think the Labour leader was “appropriate to be prime minister”. Mr Mann, who served as a Labour MP for 18 years, will be leaving the role to take up a full-time role as the Government’s anti-semitism chief.
I'm going to need to see more than one person leaving in a huff before I buy the idea that this is anything other than an attempt to play up a "both sides" narrative. Corbyn has actually been playing the last few weeks almost perfectly. He has his extension, and he's forcing Boris to wear it, so he can't use an election to blunt the Brexit Party Backstab argument.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Sep 2019, 18:51

It's not just Brexit. Corbyn has been bleeding members out of Labour for years, particularly on the antisemitism issue.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Sep 2019, 19:18

Mo wrote:
I mean, all due respect, but a group of Londoners who work in the management divisions of the financial services sector is not exactly the people I would expect to have their finger on the pulse of the UK Labour party.
(But I could be wrong)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 09 Sep 2019, 19:19

That is, are there no greasy spoon diners in England?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Brexit: what say ye?

Post by Mo » 09 Sep 2019, 19:39

Kolohe wrote:
Mo wrote:
I mean, all due respect, but a group of Londoners who work in the management divisions of the financial services sector is not exactly the people I would expect to have their finger on the pulse of the UK Labour party.
(But I could be wrong)
The people I asked were not peers, but people a couple levels down, including contractors that commute from Essex, Derby and Brighton. Granted, they’re more educated than the average bear, but they’re not cloistered Londoners. Corbyn is polling at 18% so you can’t blame me for having trouble finding Corbyn supporters.

That said, fair point. Everyone I met in pubs in Scotland were pro-Brexit because it meant Scottish independence would follow.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 09 Sep 2019, 21:25

I am enjoying the situation BoJo has gotten himself into: Parliament has forbidden a No-Deal Brexit*, his attempt to hold an election has been thwarted, he has refused to agree to an extension, he has prorogued Parliament until there is no time left, and he has lost (or more accurately, blown-off) his Parliamentary majority.

Kinda sucks to be British, though.

*I can see two options here: Either he tries to defy Parliament or he does a Brexit-in-name-only while continuing to negotiate.