The F Word

nicole

Re: The F Word

Post by nicole »

Imagine thinking that "a woman fixing your entire life" was better than heroin

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

nicole wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 10:24

I can't even begin to tell you how sad it makes me to think you think heroin is preferable to a committed romantic relationship.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

nicole

Post by nicole »

I don't equate "a woman fixing your entire life" with a committed romantic relationship, for one thing.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Well maybe you should
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Aside from myself, all the people I have known who slept on floor mattresses were women
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 11:24
Aside from myself, all the people I have known who slept on floor mattresses were women
I'm trying to get to even on this one.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

You can pry my floor mattress out of my cold dead zzzzzzzzzzzzz
"Yours is the much better comeback." -JD

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Jeff and I slept on a floor mattress our first couple years in Virginia, before buying a box spring and bedframe (in Connecticut, our mattress was on the bedframe of the Zodawful 1980s waterbed Jeff used to have.)

We STILL don't have a headboard or footboard, though, just the mattress/box spring/frame setup.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

What about mattress on box springs but box springs on floor? There's a very different vibe between mattress-on-floor and box-springs-on-floor.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 16:07
What about mattress on box springs but box springs on floor? There's a very different vibe between mattress-on-floor and box-springs-on-floor.
The thing is, there really isn't
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JD

Post by JD »

Jennifer wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 15:26
We STILL don't have a headboard or footboard, though, just the mattress/box spring/frame setup.
Headboards and footboards are overrated although I guess they do make the bed look more "finished". We have this metal scrollwork headboard that is a mixed blessing; I can reach through it to get to the electrical outlet that would otherwise be completely blocked by the bed, but on the other hand that means I am frequently called to do so because I'm the only one in the house with arms long enough to do it. It does not, however, block drafts like a solid headboard would. Also cats use the headboard/our heads as a thoroughfare. Also a cat fell in the scrollwork once and got stuck and then bit me while I was fishing her out.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

JD wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 16:20
Also a cat fell in the scrollwork once and got stuck and then bit me while I was fishing her out.
:lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

JD wrote:
Also a cat fell in the scrollwork once and got stuck and then bit me while I was fishing her out.
*nods sadly* Cats gonna cat

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

JD wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 15:26
Headboards and footboards are overrated although I guess they do make the bed look more "finished".
The one context in which I'd say a headboard (though not a footboard) actually is necessary is if you are in the habit of sitting up in bed to read or something -- in that case, it's better to lean against a headboard than a wall. But I haven't regularly used my bed as a reading spot since the first or second place I lived independent of my parents (read: since I acquired some comfy reading chairs or couches).
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

If your bed doesn't have a headboard, what are you tying the ropes to?

Warren

Post by Warren »

the casters
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

bedframe casters are the third worst invention of the 20th century. Who is moving their bed around enough to justify that?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Hugh Akston wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 17:38
bedframe casters are the third worst invention of the 20th century. Who is moving their bed around enough to justify that?
They just came with the frame.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b »

Team Nicole, for once. That's one of the stupidest tweets I've read recently, and I read tweets by people reacting to the Golden Globes yesterday.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

nicole wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 10:24
If having a floor mattress will keep women like her away, then I know what I'm picking.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

Warren wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 16:12
lunchstealer wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 16:07
The thing is, there really isn't
There is a very different vibe between having a bed that is six or seven inches shorter than a bed on a frame and having a bed that is twelve to eighteen inches shorter than a bed on a frame. We had a dog who kept fucking around under the bed which was annoying for reasons I don't recall. We finally just removed the frame so there wasn't space for her aroundfuckery, and for the first week it was slightly jarring to get into a slightly low bed, but otherwise we didn't really even notice. This is not the case with a straight mattress on the floor.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Mattress on floor with no box springs feels hobonic to me. Add box springs and no hobo.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

The point I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that raising the box springs and mattress off the ground on a frame opens up additional storage space. It's been a running joke in our marriage for decades now that we still don't have a headboard for our bed because we could never agree on one, but if we were ever to break down at this point and buy one, it would be the sort that has built-in drawers below the box springs.

There also comes a time when you want to be able to sit up on the edge of the bed at roughly the same height as if you were sitting in a chair. Maybe that's not a big deal, but it should be added to the pros column for elevating the bed off the floor.

Ellie

Post by Ellie »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:34
The point I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that raising the box springs and mattress off the ground on a frame opens up additional storage space.
Heh, that's one of the main reasons I prefer mattress on the floor. Because "storage space" is also "space for things to get kicked under and lost."

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

If you fill the under-bed space with storage containers, things can't get kicked under and lost.