The F Word

Hugh Akston

Re: The F Word

Post by Hugh Akston » 21 Aug 2017, 20:32

dbcooper wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 20:28
The AV Club is just another Gawker scum site now.
Don't let their suspiciously glowing reviews of telenovelas fool you, they are still a relevant and insightful entertainment website.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Aug 2017, 20:38

They have a couple of decent film critics, but that's about it.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2017, 21:12

i feel like i'm watching watching people debate the legacy of fred durst.
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 21 Aug 2017, 21:12

dhex wrote:
21 Aug 2017, 21:12
i feel like i'm watching watching people debate the legacy of fred durst.
:lol:

dhex

Post by dhex » 21 Aug 2017, 21:26

i mean, this guy makes movies. and he cheated on his wife. like if i told you fred durst had a custom made toilet seat that played stairway to heaven every time he flushed, would you even notice unless someone had snapchatted it and upped it to twitter?
"If they make a movie about Bothans pre-ROTJ that is basically a rip off of the Taking of Pelham 123, I would start masturbating in the theater." fffffffunnnngh

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 22 Aug 2017, 02:42

Here ya go, dhex:

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 22 Aug 2017, 08:44

Either Joss Whedon or Will Wheaton need to clear out. There's only room for one milquetoast B-list fantasy nerd in that namespace.
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 22 Aug 2017, 08:49

Dangerman wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 08:44
Either Joss Whedon or Will Wheaton need to clear out. There's only room for one milquetoast B-list fantasy nerd in that namespace.
Will can stay. I used to like Whedon's stuff, but he hasn't done anything interesting in a long time.
Saudi Arabia is doing something potentially harmful to America? Oh, hell. Does that mean we're going to invade Iraq again? - Jennifer

Warren

Post by Warren » 22 Aug 2017, 10:11

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 08:49
Dangerman wrote:
Will can stay. I used to like Whedon's stuff, but he hasn't done anything interesting in a long time.
Whedon has at least done some excellent work. Whereas Wesley Wheaton has been nothing but a flaming bag of shit since TNG.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 22 Aug 2017, 12:53

Dangerman wrote:
¿Por que no los dos?
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Aug 2017, 00:07

dbcooper wrote:
22 Aug 2017, 02:42
Here ya go, dhex:

This made me laugh way harder than it should have, especially since I had to google Grim Fandango.
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 11:42

On lady YouTube influencers and the burgeoning self-care movement:
The interest in this content from young women speaks to what scholars of girls’ studies and youth behavior have dubbed a “bedroom culture” — that is, a recognition of the private spaces and networks in which girls create their own sociocultural norms. Girls’ studies scholars Angela McRobbie and Jenny Garber use the notion to explain seemingly insignificant practices among young women (talking about makeup, learning about clothes, even just gossiping) as “alternative ways of organizing their cultural life.” And they assert that the goal is "to gain private and accessible space. This in turn allows ... girls to remain seemingly inscrutable to the outside world." The popular YouTube beauty subjects (how to apply a bright lipstick properly, for example) also carry the unspoken "this is just between us girls" connotation, and with it an implicit trust. The more open and honest a girl gets on YouTube, then surely the more trustworthy and "real" she must be.
This new focus on the more real, intimate side of girlhood has been largely rewarded by viewers and corporate partners alike. But what makes young women in particular so poised to take up this conversation, and ultimately profit from the interest of their (largely female) audience? For one, demonstrating high levels of personal and emotional intelligence is a prerequisite for being an idealized vision of a successful young woman. Many of these emerging trends in pop culture — yes, even in niche YouTube videos — indicate society’s intense interest in women developing a heightened awareness of the self. Feminist theory has long held that women practice self-surveillance (and therefore self-discipline) because of the immense pressures they face. From the expectation that girls know their specific body "type" (curvy on top! petite! pear-shaped!) to find the ideal jeans fit, to the myriad wellness and self-help circuits that focus on turning inward to find healing, to the health and diet fads that are rooted in self-diagnosis and self-treatment, girls and women are believed to find success through knowing and monitoring themselves intensely. The question is, if more and more gurus are turning inward, seemingly more interested in taking care of the self, then how do they continue to encourage other people to buy products that are largely focused on outward appearance?

A YouTuber who had already opened up about shaving her bikini line could naturally transition into talking about her spells of depression.
That’s where their established position as beauty experts comes into play. Buying products is one thing — but buying the right products signifies self-knowledge and the ability to care for oneself. Retail spending is blended with political and social freedom, something girls’ studies scholar Anita Harris calls a “linking of neoliberal ideologies about individual choice with a distorted kind of feminism.” Girls’ ability to make purchases is often seen as empowering, in its display of personal wealth amassed and its demonstration of knowing oneself best. The young women on YouTube have deftly manipulated this ethic to their advantage. There are only so many videos one can make about eyeshadow palettes or bubble bath before finding a new narrative through which to talk about them.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/victoriasands/ ... atch-an-ad
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Aug 2017, 11:48

That's a whole lot of content to which I can't relate even in the abstract.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2017, 12:07

JasonL wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:48
I don't know if I can relate or not. What is "personal and emotional intelligence"?

While I don't understand what the author is driving at, I'm fairly confident she is reasoning in error.
The popular YouTube beauty subjects (how to apply a bright lipstick properly, for example) also carry the unspoken "this is just between us girls" connotation, and with it an implicit trust.
On YouTube?
A YouTuber who had already opened up about shaving her bikini line could naturally transition into talking about her spells of depression.
Really? I mean you could transition into talking about a lot of things. I just don't see how the former "naturally" leads to the latter.
Women with strollers are legitimately the worst people, and should, like motorcyclists, not be considered people for liability and criminal purposes. - lunchstealer

nicole

Post by nicole » 23 Aug 2017, 12:18

Warren wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:07
JasonL wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 11:48
I don't know if I can relate or not. What is "personal and emotional intelligence"?
She gives examples of the kind of self-knowledge she's talking about (body type).
Warren wrote:While I don't understand what the author is driving at, I'm fairly confident she is reasoning in error.
The popular YouTube beauty subjects (how to apply a bright lipstick properly, for example) also carry the unspoken "this is just between us girls" connotation, and with it an implicit trust.
On YouTube?
Yes. That is why influencers make the big bucks.
Warren wrote:
Really? I mean you could transition into talking about a lot of things. I just don't see how the former "naturally" leads to the latter.
She's not saying it can't naturally transition to something else, just that the transition is natural as opposed to unnatural.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Privilege is having large phones fit into the garments that society expects you to wear." -Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2017, 12:22

nicole wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:18
She's not saying it can't naturally transition to something else, just that the transition is natural as opposed to unnatural.
But is it? Seems like those dots are pretty far apart.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 23 Aug 2017, 12:30

Warren, tell us more about the most logical way to cultivate a brand as a YouTube makeup artist and lifestyle talker.
"The first rule of Grylliade club is 'Why are we talking about Grylliade club?'"
--Jake

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Aug 2017, 12:32

It is more saying that a girl who has built up that trust in her brand and space can make the transition feel natural to those that have invested their time and Interest in her.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 23 Aug 2017, 12:49

Highway wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:32
It is more saying that a girl who has built up that trust in her brand and space can make the transition feel natural to those that have invested their time and Interest in her.
Thank you for answering that so nicely and understandably* <3

* for some reason I am blanking on the word that means "you explained it in a way that made me understand it really well"
I should have listened to Warren. He was right again as usual.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Aug 2017, 12:53

I'm get off my lawn don't get it about influencers and you tubers. I don't get what they are conveying that gets them all those eyeballs. This spans categories of influencers. They are non expert talkers with low production values who often express inane things. My lawn, guys.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Aug 2017, 12:57

What constitutes expertise?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Aug 2017, 13:05

I think my take away is that (the article is saying) that women can more easily move from a connection based on subject interest, to a personal connection that can later be independent of the initial arena.

Like, I watch Hickok45 because of his mannerisms, and his knowledge and presentation style, but I'm (as a man, per this theory) less likely to develop personal feelings about Hickok45 The Human, and be less likely to be interested in videos of him talking about his dogs, or what he cooks.

Does that jive with anyone else's reading, or experience?
"It's a proven fact that spicy mustard is good for your health no matter what your medical condition, which is why the feds are suing Guildens for a backdoor into their condiment technology." - TIO

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2017, 13:14

JasonL wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:53
I'm get off my lawn don't get it about influencers and you tubers. I don't get what they are conveying that gets them all those eyeballs. This spans categories of influencers. They are non expert talkers with low production values who often express inane things. My lawn, guys.
All of them?
I'm going to have to disagree.
There's a hell of a lot of expertise and production value on YouTube if you look for it.

Warren

Post by Warren » 23 Aug 2017, 13:17

thoreau wrote:
23 Aug 2017, 12:30
Warren, tell us more about the most logical way to cultivate a brand as a YouTube makeup artist and lifestyle talker.
WTF t? How can you possibly misconstrue what I said so badly. More to the point, why would you? You've been going out of your way to mischaracterize my comments on the regular. What's up with that?

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 23 Aug 2017, 13:21

YouTubers are just people with their own TV shows, usually with an informative or educational theme, and a short format. I don't think they present a categorization problem.

I don't know what an influencer is really, or when you cross the line and become one.