The F Word

JD

Re: The F Word

Post by JD »

So Virginia might actually ratify the ERA. This is setting off a huge kerfuffle, because there's been all kinds of weirdness around the ratification of the amendment. Four states ratified the amendment, then subsequently rescinded their ratification. In one case the governor vetoed the rescission of the ratification. Congress put a preface on the bill introducing the amendment and it's not clear what legal effect that preface has - although 24 ratification resolutions explicitly referred to it.

So firstly it's not clear whether the amendment would even become part of the Constitution if Virginia does ratify it. And then there will be all the huge fights over what it would mean in practice...
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

Warren

Post by Warren »

Aaron Sorkin makes the case against the ERA?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_j8du6fkQ4
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely »

Jadagul wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 16:13
If you fill the under-bed space with storage containers, things can't get kicked under and lost.
This.

You go to The Container Store or some such and buy those large plastic rectangular containers and you keep winter clothes there in the summer and vice versa or Christmas decorations or sex toys you'd just as soon the kiddies not get into and play with or whatever. A queen size bed is roughly 5 x 7. Add a foot or so of depth to that area and you're looking at roughly 35 sq. ft. of storage space. If you live in a sprawling house with an attic and basement and lots of walk-in closets, no big deal, but you'd have to be insane to ignore that much storage space in a small apartment or condo.

Warren

Post by Warren »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 23:04
Jadagul wrote:
If you fill the under-bed space with storage containers, things can't get kicked under and lost.
This.

You go to The Container Store or some such and buy those large plastic rectangular containers and you keep winter clothes there in the summer and vice versa or Christmas decorations or sex toys you'd just as soon the kiddies not get into and play with or whatever. A queen size bed is roughly 5 x 7. Add a foot or so of depth to that area and you're looking at roughly 35 sq. ft. of storage space. If you live in a sprawling house with an attic and basement and lots of walk-in closets, no big deal, but you'd have to be insane to ignore that much storage space in a small apartment or condo.
This
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
This.

I've never seen a bed frame that was a foot off the ground. Most are six or seven inches, which limits that space more than you'd think.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

Warren

Post by Warren »

lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 16:10
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
This.

I've never seen a bed frame that was a foot off the ground. Most are six or seven inches, which limits that space more than you'd think.
What kind of sex toys are you guys using?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 17:01
lunchstealer wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 16:10
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
This.

What kind of sex toys are you guys using?
Nothing too crazy. Everything is under 100 horsepower.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Vroom Vroooom!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

What are you talking about Mo?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
08 Jan 2020, 12:34
The point I don't think anyone else has mentioned is that raising the box springs and mattress off the ground on a frame opens up additional storage space. It's been a running joke in our marriage for decades now that we still don't have a headboard for our bed because we could never agree on one, but if we were ever to break down at this point and buy one, it would be the sort that has built-in drawers below the box springs.

There also comes a time when you want to be able to sit up on the edge of the bed at roughly the same height as if you were sitting in a chair. Maybe that's not a big deal, but it should be added to the pros column for elevating the bed off the floor.
Yep, the bed we bought when we moved into the new place has 3 drawers per side for extra storage. It's a platform bed, so no boxspring, and there's still room underneath the frame for low-form containers if we needed even more storage.

ETA - I see the point has already been addressed. I'd add 'houses built before 1945' to the abodes which might suffer from tiny closets or general lack a space to store your "stuff", as Carlin might say.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Platform bed too hard without air bladder mattress.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo »

Warren wrote:
09 Jan 2020, 19:49
What are you talking about Mo?
Was responding to nicole's Little Women thing from a couple pages back and didn't realize at the time of response that it was a couple pages back. Have a big gryll backlog ever since the day Tapatalk died
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Warren wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 11:45
Platform bed too hard without air bladder mattress.
Nope.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

From a review of Meghan Daum's book:
I used to marvel at the cruelty of Gen X female writers who are eager to tell young women they should toughen up about sexual violence, or who question whether sexual violence is as bad as we say it is, or who prefer to think of abusers as a bunch of bad apples rather than products of a foundational flaw in our culture. The sentiment Daum expresses here, a little self-mockingly—“Why can’t they be tough like we were?”—is the one I imagine women her age thinking all the time. But there’s more to it than that, and Daum is so brilliant that I’m still shocked she hasn’t considered that congratulating yourself for toughness is much less important than making a world where toughness isn’t necessary.
I too believe that women should make a world where toughness isn't necessary (because no one is alive).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

Was it Camille Paglia who coined the term "infirmary feminism"?
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

nicole wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 12:26
From a review of Meghan Daum's book:
I used to marvel at the cruelty of Gen X female writers who are eager to tell young women they should toughen up about sexual violence, or who question whether sexual violence is as bad as we say it is, or who prefer to think of abusers as a bunch of bad apples rather than products of a foundational flaw in our culture. The sentiment Daum expresses here, a little self-mockingly—“Why can’t they be tough like we were?”—is the one I imagine women her age thinking all the time. But there’s more to it than that, and Daum is so brilliant that I’m still shocked she hasn’t considered that congratulating yourself for toughness is much less important than making a world where toughness isn’t necessary.
I too believe that women should make a world where toughness isn't necessary (because no one is alive).
I can't speak to exactly which sentiments the author is talking about, but when Millennial feminism asserts that merely pressuring a woman to have sex with you means if she does that it's non-consensual, Millennial/Zoomer women should be encouraged to toughen up and stand up for their own feelings. Actual sexual violence and The Implication are legit problems, but if you know that you're not in physical danger, you should feel empowered to say, "Look, no I don't want to have sex with you today, and if you don't lay off I'm going to [leave|ask you to leave]."

And I'm not saying this just to push back against the everything-is-violence-including-explicitly-non-violent-speech-and-behavior trend, but because no woman should be encouraged to be so meek and other-serving that they think they don't have a choice when a guy persistently asks for sex. Or even if a guy or girl or group persistently asks for you to bake cookies for the fucking bake sale. If you are taught that you don't have to say no to things you don't want, but that everyone else needs to stop asking, you're being set up for a life of misery, because the implication is that you are expected to cave to pressure.
"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

"That's just tokenism with extra steps." - Jake

nicole

Post by nicole »

I'm enjoying a lot of the replies in this thread but obviously I have NOT experienced this as a "third rail" issue with other women in real life

eta
has anyone else found that discussing marriage/last name decisions to be a massive third rail in their discussions with other women:
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why- ... ign=fxpast
Last edited by nicole on 20 Feb 2020, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer »

Unrelated: when y'all post tweets, could you also quote the content? On both of my computers, I cannot see tweets on this forum, nor do I even see a clickable link -- all I see is the bluebird logo.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hugh Akston wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 11:44
I mean... I can't tell if he means to own himself all the time, like performance art or something.

thoreau

Post by thoreau »

He's so into self-ownership that he should get an honorary libertarian decoder ring.
" Columbus wasn’t a profile in courage or brilliance despite the odds, he was a dumb motherfucker that got lucky. Oddly, that makes him the perfect talisman for the Trump era."
--Mo

Shem

Post by Shem »

In the run-up to marriage, many couples, particularly those of a more progressive bent, will encounter a problem: What is to be done about the last name?
There's no real wrong answer; it should all be to personal choice.
Some have attempted work-arounds...or—more creative—Smilors.
Except that. That is wrong, and if you do it, you should be beaten with a rattan cane until you see sense
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo »

My wife took my name because during the discussion about what to do with names I suggested we could go with a completely unrelated name like being the Calrissians (actual example used). Mrs. Mo decided taking my name was preferable

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

Shem wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 17:24
In the run-up to marriage, many couples, particularly those of a more progressive bent, will encounter a problem: What is to be done about the last name?
There's no real wrong answer; it should all be to personal choice.
Some have attempted work-arounds...or—more creative—Smilors.
Except that. That is wrong, and if you do it, you should be beaten with a rattan cane until you see sense
Is "smilor" supposed to mean something to me?