The F Word

thoreau

Re: The F Word

Post by thoreau » 31 Aug 2017, 18:03

I wonder how much of this is just the usual August news cycle craziness.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 31 Aug 2017, 18:40

I'm sure this remake will be the good one.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 01 Sep 2017, 11:37

thoreau wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 15:37
Kolohe wrote:
31 Aug 2017, 15:27
Queen of the Bees is a winner for sure.
Not okay, bro. When Lorde sang "You can call me Queen Bee" it was interpreted as a slap at Beyonce, and hence racist.
Damn, I never made that connection.

Good for Lorde.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Sep 2017, 11:40

I don't know if she actually intended it that way. But in 2013 there was an entire cottage industry of people digging and searching for racism in every line of those lyrics.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 01 Sep 2017, 15:27

The better comparisons were to Heathers.

Warren

Post by Warren » 01 Sep 2017, 20:22

Well, shit.
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 06 Oct 2017, 19:53

Good god, they just can't stop raping:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10 ... jail-time/
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Oct 2017, 20:00

Matthew 6:1-6
--Mo

Mo

Post by Mo » 06 Oct 2017, 20:46

Sandy wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 19:53

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10/
male-feminist-writer-broadly-facing-multiple-rape-allegations-potential-jail-time/
Do you have a real source? I'm not giving Gateway Pundit my click.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Oct 2017, 21:29

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 20:46
Sandy wrote:
06 Oct 2017, 19:53

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2017/10/
male-feminist-writer-broadly-facing-multiple-rape-allegations-potential-jail-time/
Do you have a real source? I'm not giving Gateway Pundit my click.
So much this. To my knowledge he still hasn't retracted or corrected his story that Michael Brown gave Wilson an orbital blowout fracture, and he was one of the main culprits in the spreading of the misidentification of the Vegas shooter as some liberal soros guy whose family suddenly started getting death threats.

Fuck Gateway Pundit sideways with a rusty chainsaw.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 04 Nov 2017, 14:16

Well, looks like Gateway Pundit was right this time. I mean, I don’t have a real source, but Jezebel is repeating and expanding on the allegations:

http://archive.is/ly7IA
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 05 Aug 2019, 03:40

Japanese women are finding more freedom and happiness by forgoing marriage
The percentage of women who work in Japan is higher than ever, yet cultural norms have not caught up: Japanese wives and mothers are still typically expected to bear the brunt of the housework, child care and help for their aging relatives, a factor that stymies many of their careers.

Fed up with the double standard, Japanese women are increasingly opting out of marriage altogether, focusing on their work and newfound freedoms, but also alarming politicians preoccupied with trying to reverse Japan’s declining population.
Last year, the number of couples getting married hit the lowest level since the end of World War II, according to government estimates. It was the sixth straight year of decline in the nation’s marriage rate, which is falling at a much faster clip than the drop in Japan’s population over all.

Not surprisingly, the number of births in Japan — a country where few people have children out of wedlock — is also tumbling. Last year, the number of babies born in the country fell to the lowest level since at least 1899, when record-keeping began.
The shift is tied to the changing Japanese work force. Close to 70 percent of women ages 15 to 64 now have jobs — a record. But their careers are often held back by a relentless tide of domestic burdens, like filling out the meticulous daily logs required by their children’s day-care centers, preparing the intricate meals often expected of Japanese women, supervising and signing off on homework from school and afterschool tutoring sessions, or hanging rounds of laundry — because few households have electric dryers.

While some men say they want to pitch in more and the government has urged businesses to reform the crushing work culture, employees are still expected to devote most of their waking hours to the company, making it difficult for many husbands to participate much on the home front.
Some men are reacting to Japan’s economic realities by shying away from marriage as well. Ever since Japan’s speculative stock and property bubble burst in the early 1990s, wages have flatlined. The long-held social compact between employers and workers — in which few people were ever laid off and employees were guaranteed lifelong employment — has diminished. About one-fifth of men are now consigned to irregular contract jobs that offer little stability or potential for advancement.

With the social expectation that men should be the primary breadwinners, many men worry they will struggle to support a household financially. Just over a third of men ages 35 to 39 have never been married, up from less than a quarter 20 years ago.
The whole thing is worth reading if only to see how women express their liberation in extremely Japanese ways. I also get a grim Rorschach laugh out of any article touching on fertility panic.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Aug 2019, 10:07

"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jake

Post by Jake » 06 Aug 2019, 10:12

nicole wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 10:07
She must be fun at Thanksgiving dinner. "Don't you dare pass me the mashed potatoes! I'm gonna climb over the table for them myself so I can be smug on Twitter later."
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2019, 10:21

Jake wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 10:12
nicole wrote:
She must be fun at Thanksgiving dinner. "Don't you dare pass me the mashed potatoes! I'm gonna climb over the table for them myself so I can be smug on Twitter later."
I feel my patriarchal privilege diminished with each act of resistance. OW! My ego!
I think in terms of credibility and it's all black eyes as far as you can see in the media landscape. - JasonL

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Aug 2019, 10:30

Little does she know that small acts of courtesy are in fact part of a standard white male playbook intended to goad women into making asses of themselves on social media.

Patriarchy 1
Feminism 0
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

dhex

Post by dhex » 06 Aug 2019, 11:22

nicole wrote:
i mean grabbing someone's shit before asking is not a good idea but c'moooooooooon lady. c'moooooooon with that pumpkin spice #resistance shit.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Aug 2019, 11:23

I like the implication that there would have been an intersectionality crisis if dude hadn’t been cis het middle age white dude.

JD

Post by JD » 06 Aug 2019, 11:40

JasonL wrote:
06 Aug 2019, 11:23
I like the implication that there would have been an intersectionality crisis if dude hadn’t been cis het middle age white dude.
In another context, she'd be slapped down for assuming that someone is male-identifying or White-identifying simply because she perceives them that way.
Beep boop, you silly humans.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 06 Aug 2019, 11:46

To be fair to her, "No thanks, I've got it" is a polite way to decline assistance. The shittiness is what she did on Twitter afterward. But based on her account it seems like she was fine during the actual event.

If the dude had been black, I know people who would argue that being less than 110% polite with him is a microaggression, a way in which white women take up space and make the world less safe for people of color.
--Mo

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Aug 2019, 13:44

nicole wrote:
An act of resistance, to politeness.

Good going, dipshit.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex