Dream of Konmarification - Getting rid of stuff thread

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Do you guys resell stuff or just donate it? Toss it? I feel like clothes are a clear cut donate situation. Car is a clear cut sell situation. Stuff in between like furniture? Electronics? It seems like the effort of posting and having to deliver things makes most things not worth it but I could just be a lazy f*ck. Do people use Craigslist or ebay? Something else? Old mattresses and the like are irritating in this way.

Hugh Akston

Re: Dream of Konmarification - Getting rid of stuff thread

Post by Hugh Akston »

What specifically are you purging?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Mo

Post by Mo »

I donate most things less valuable than a car.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Highway

Post by Highway »

I try to donate as much as possible, but a lot of time it becomes difficult to do so because of self-imposed conditions (Like you have to come pick up the furniture). I sell nothing privately. It's either donate to someone who actually wants it or toss it.

Old mattresses are throw away. Yuck.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Old camping gear like some nice packs, some furniture like tables,couch, chair.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston »

Donate the furniture. Most thrift store/charities will come pick it up for you. Camping gear you could donate, but I bet it would sell on eBay if you wanted to bother with packing and shipping.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren »

Take a serious look at the stuff you're considering donating. I know you think "it's perfectly fine" because you were just using it yourself. But getting stuff that's not on good condition is a PITA for Good Will etc.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer »

I donate clothes, but I'm brutal about what's good enough.

A cat got into a donation pile, and that went into the trash.

Sent from my Telecommunication Device using Software
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Dude she's the Purdue Pharma of the black pill." - JasonL

"This thread is like a dog park where everyone lets their preconceptions and biases run around and sniff each others butts." - Hugh Akston

Painboy

Post by Painboy »

I just donate clothes. Usually I just drop it off to Goodwill, although I have seen some stuff that says you're apparently not supposed to that because something something.

I always try to sell or give away electronics. I always feel weird about throwing them away.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe »

lunchstealer wrote:I donate clothes, but I'm brutal about what's good enough.

A cat got into a donation pile, and that went into the trash.

Sent from my Telecommunication Device using Software
Ellie's going to be upset when she finds out you put a cat in the trash.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

It depends on how much your time is worth. If your time is valuable, donate the nicest clothing and nicest furniture to Goodwill and toss (or burn!) everything else. If you're willing to endure some hassle, then selling camping gear, furniture, and electronics through eBay or CL can be worth it. It's a nice feeling to turn some old crap into a few hundred bucks.

I've actually had some decent luck selling camping gear on CL with very little hassle, but that could be a regional thing.

Also, obligatory vote for burn it all.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Part of the thing is a similar to pb odd feeling about throwing out certain things, not to mention having to make arrangements for pick up and disposal. Does anyone recycle electronics or just trash?

Highway

Post by Highway »

Here, all electronics have to be disposed of "properly", which means not throwing them in the trash. That means I end up with a pile in the basement and every year or so take it to the dump where they have a special bin / area.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I'm a lazy fuck. Donate everything. Just got rid of a car to the American Cancer Society.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Warren wrote:Take a serious look at the stuff you're considering donating. I know you think "it's perfectly fine" because you were just using it yourself. But getting stuff that's not on good condition is a PITA for Good Will etc.
Not only that, but if it's currently out of style, no one, and I mean no one will take it. 90% of the furniture from my inlaws' estate went to the dump because it was purchased in the 50s & 60s and nobody wants that look anymore.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole »

My usual method is to get together everything to donate in boxes or trash bags then stick them in a closet or corner for a few years because everything is a pain in the ass.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g »

I'm trending heavily towards cleanse with fire. A lot of things go to Goodwill for that sweet, sweet tax writeoff. Most everything else gets pitched. We've had good luck with selling furniture on CL.

I need to take the old electronics down to the recycling center, but that's a hassle because the city doesn't accept just a drivers license as proof of residence in the city and they want names to match on supporting docs. So that means both of us have to go, which means kid has to go, which means it's a process.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway »

tr0g wrote:I need to take the old electronics down to the recycling center, but that's a hassle because the city doesn't accept just a drivers license as proof of residence in the city and they want names to match on supporting docs. So that means both of us have to go, which means kid has to go, which means it's a process.
Man, that's a pain in the ass. At our dump, they only check a driver's license of one of the people in the car, and only if you're going to the landfill part. If you want to put anything in the recycling - electronics, TVs, scrap metal, appliances, light bulbs, cardboard, etc - they don't really care who you are.

Warren

Post by Warren »

Are there actual "trash cops" that will bust you for putting motherboards in the garbage? Why is that even a thing? I can't see myself going along with that. I'd pull the boards out and put em the bag with the fish guts, then throw the chassis out the following week if I had to.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL »

I think places like Staples do recycling of electronics for free. Haven't tried it.

Highway

Post by Highway »

Warren wrote:Are there actual "trash cops" that will bust you for putting motherboards in the garbage? Why is that even a thing? I can't see myself going along with that. I'd pull the boards out and put em the bag with the fish guts, then throw the chassis out the following week if I had to.
Probably not, but I don't want to contribute to unnecessary landfill filling if I don't want to. And I judge it more work to go through your subterfuge (which admittedly really isn't necessary) than to just put things into the 'e-waste basket' and take that to the dump once a year.

nicole

Post by nicole »

Some places do have trash cops.

Aren't we also not supposed to throw away compact fluorescents? I have a box of dead ones in a closet I think.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Warren

Post by Warren »

Highway wrote:I don't want to contribute to unnecessary landfill filling... put things into the 'e-waste basket' and take that to the dump once a year.

You better check with Orville on that one Wilbur. That ainna gonna fly.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Rachel

Post by Rachel »

With the number of moves I have done in the past number of years I am pro slash and burn and I still have too much stuff. I have thrown out lots and lots of books (not even recycled if on that particular moving day recycling was too inconvenient) and TONS of clothes, because guess what, those goodwill donation bins you put your clothes in are often just garbage bins.

My parents have so, so much stuff, and I'd like to start them on the getting rid of things but they won't even recycle books.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

pistoffnick

Post by pistoffnick »

nicole wrote:Some places do have trash cops.

Aren't we also not supposed to throw away compact fluorescents? I have a box of dead ones in a closet I think.
Send them to you congress-person
Always be suspicious of people who have, or crave, power. - Stanley Kubrick
"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under." - H.L. Mencken
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus