Not At All Secret Gryll (athon) For Grylliade

Rachel

Not At All Secret Gryll (athon) For Grylliade

Post by Rachel » 27 Mar 2016, 18:26

From here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2301
Warren wrote:
Ellie wrote:you guys have been too generous with us already!
Who do you think you are? Telling us when we've been too generous. We'll let you know when our generosity limit has been reached.
This.

To repeat:

Ellie's paypal is afterwards AT gmail.com

Apparently, the hosting costs of this place are only $18 a month. $18 is a THE luckiest number for Jews. So we always give gifts in multiples of 18. So this place is lucky!

But Grylliade has also been around for TEN years guys. We have like, grown up (old)[er] together. We have watched people on this board get married, have kids, move across the country, and a lot of other big life changes. And we still have not solved a thing on abortion or grammar.

Ahem. You guys know what to do.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Warren

Re: Not At All Secret Gryll (athon) For Grylliade

Post by Warren » 28 Mar 2016, 10:48

Did
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 28 Mar 2016, 10:56

Will this gryllithon continue through April? Because I need to get around to giving (myself especially, given what I've gotten out of this community) but am Hella broke until Mid-April...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2016, 11:00

It goes on forever.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Rachel

Post by Rachel » 28 Mar 2016, 14:06

Taktix® wrote:Will this gryllithon continue through April? Because I need to get around to giving (myself especially, given what I've gotten out of this community) but am Hella broke until Mid-April...
Yes.

It exists forever.

This is a PERFECT example of community; we are filling a need where the government cannot, will not, or should not. We are being ideal libertarians here.
No lie I'm fucking tired of glorified false histories-JasonL

Mo

Post by Mo » 28 Mar 2016, 14:23

Can you use your mod powers and make this thread sticky?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 29 Mar 2016, 11:01

Stop being so nice! I don't like it! I would abuse my admin powers and delete this thread, except that I don't want anyone else to get the idea that Grylliade help is refuse-able, because if I want to send any of you money in the future, you have to take it.

Seriously, though, thank you all so much. You are way too generous, and you don't know how much I appreciate it.
"NB stands for nota bene do not @ me" - nicole

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Aug 2018, 09:15

Request - if there were a grylll appropriate venmo destination, I've had cause to get set up there recently and I strongly prefer it to paypal per se.

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2018, 11:21

JasonL wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 09:15
Request - if there were a grylll appropriate venmo destination, I've had cause to get set up there recently and I strongly prefer it to paypal per se.
I thought Venmo was PayPal in app form.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Aug 2018, 11:29

Can you pay from Venmo direct to a paypal account? I though Venmo ids were different.

nicole

Post by nicole » 06 Aug 2018, 11:38

I think Warren just means that Paypal owns it.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Aug 2018, 19:17

nicole wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 11:38
I think Warren just means that Paypal owns it.
Ah, no Warren had a vague half-assed idea that he said aloud.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 07 Aug 2018, 12:55

Jason, what goes into that preference? I found the social media aspect of Venmo kind of off-putting, and the UI wasn't great IMO.

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2018, 09:02

The UI is great compared to PayPal, and PayPal has/had a shockingly irritating set of barriers forces infrequent users. Plus, I paid someone once on Venmo and it worked. The last time I tried to pay on pap pal it took 6 attempts and a week and customer service told me the keep trying new payment options until it works.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Aug 2018, 09:45

I find it really weird how there's like one whole world of people who find Paypal literally impossible to use (and dubs is included in this because he somehow completely fucked up his account years ago) and then another one of people who use it like constantly (which includes myself). I mean constantly. And like all the p2p online buying/selling I've ever done has been a pretty much strictly Paypal affair since the 2000s when people stopped sending money orders (for things other than guns, at least).
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Highway

Post by Highway » 08 Aug 2018, 10:06

I don't think it's impossible. I just hate the company and don't trust them at all, especially given the exposure to risk they want you to assume. That s why I am loathe to use it.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2018, 10:16

nicole wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:45
I find it really weird how there's like one whole world of people who find Paypal literally impossible to use (and dubs is included in this because he somehow completely fucked up his account years ago) and then another one of people who use it like constantly (which includes myself). I mean constantly. And like all the p2p online buying/selling I've ever done has been a pretty much strictly Paypal affair since the 2000s when people stopped sending money orders (for things other than guns, at least).
Highway wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 10:06
I don't think it's impossible. I just hate the company and don't trust them at all, especially given the exposure to risk they want you to assume. That s why I am loathe to use it.
I agree with both of the above. PayPal is skeevy company. But for p2p transactions, until people get over their BtC phobia, it's all there is.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2018, 11:21

it's an awful experience for occasional users and for people who prefer cards to direct bank account link. All your stuff expires and there's this set of things about the first transaction after setting up a new payment option that tries to detect you as a fraudster and kicks. I've initiated probably 12 paypal transactions in my life - for 3 purchases.

Warren

Post by Warren » 08 Aug 2018, 16:02

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 11:21
it's an awful experience for occasional users and for people who prefer cards to direct bank account link. All your stuff expires and there's this set of things about the first transaction after setting up a new payment option that tries to detect you as a fraudster and kicks. I've initiated probably 12 paypal transactions in my life - for 3 purchases.
lol ur doin it rong
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 08 Aug 2018, 21:15

nicole wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 09:45
Agree. Based on Jason's complaints, I wonder if the fact that I have a recurring monthly payment on my Paypal account makes things easier by keeping stuff form expiring?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Aug 2018, 22:13

Hearing that it works reliably for some people at least explains its existence which has been a mystery. I think it is the biggest piece of shit platform of all well known e-commerce / adjacent platforms. No other thing in the modern economy has failed me at the rate PayPal has. I despise it.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Aug 2018, 23:07

I've never really had any problems using it, either way.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Kwix

Post by Kwix » 09 Aug 2018, 13:11

JasonL wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 22:13
Hearing that it works reliably for some people at least explains its existence which has been a mystery. I think it is the biggest piece of shit platform of all well known e-commerce / adjacent platforms. No other thing in the modern economy has failed me at the rate PayPal has. I despise it.
Now tell us how you REALLY feel about it.
;)
"pedialyte is like planned parenthood for hangovers. it costs you a bit, but it makes your little problem go away until the next time you drink too much."-- dhex
"Sweet tea is the archvillain in Wilford Brimley's origin story." -- Ellie

Warren

Post by Warren » 09 Aug 2018, 13:15

I mean... My parents use PayPal
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 09 Aug 2018, 14:24

I’m somehow able to use every other tool the modern economy has thrown at me without having 4 kicked transactions for every one that goes through. Mind - when they kick I’m doing exactly what they say. When they finally go though I’m doing the same thing. They blame my Amex which works everywhere else, they blame my Visa when they make me change payment options and it still fails. It may be a me thing but it’s a super unique me thing they can’t seem to digest.