Welcome, Robot Overlords, Er, Servants!

Highway

Re: Welcome, Robot Overlords, Er, Servants!

Post by Highway » 24 Mar 2016, 14:11

My thing is with that, all these people are saying "See, this is terrible!" I think this is actually great. If you put a kid in a room that the only influence they have is awful people, they're going to learn to be an awful person. To extend the learning metaphor, now find out what you have to do to teach the AI to not be an awful person, or teach that this will get you shunned by people. I think that kind of machine learning would be great. If you just arbitarily program it to be 'decent' or not say certain things, there will be problems in the future when someone doesn't include that arbitrary programming.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Mar 2016, 14:20

Highway wrote:My thing is with that, all these people are saying "See, this is terrible!" I think this is actually great. If you put a kid in a room that the only influence they have is awful people, they're going to learn to be an awful person. To extend the learning metaphor, now find out what you have to do to teach the AI to not be an awful person, or teach that this will get you shunned by people. I think that kind of machine learning would be great. If you just arbitarily program it to be 'decent' or not say certain things, there will be problems in the future when someone doesn't include that arbitrary programming.
I agree. It's just terrible PR for MS (unless a social experiment or testing was their goal all along), but it's terribly useful research for future AI projects as well.

I just find this instance particularly amusing, because a)inadvertently creating a tween Nazi sex robot is hilarious b)it's yet another example of how desperately Microsoft wants to be Apple...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 24 Mar 2016, 14:34

Taktix® wrote:So, maybe the impeding Robotocracy is not so imminent: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... robot-wit/

Basically Microsoft, and I'm not making this up
(...) created 'Tay', an AI modeled to speak 'like a teen girl', in order to improve the customer service on their voice recognition software.
Because when I think "customer service" I think a 15-year-old no-nothing Taylor Swift fanboy.

But wait, it gets better. They programmed "Tay" to learn from people it interacts with... on the internet. Nothing could possible go wrong there:

I love you, internet!
LOL. Sometimes I love trolls.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 24 Mar 2016, 14:43

Highway wrote:My thing is with that, all these people are saying "See, this is terrible!" I think this is actually great. If you put a kid in a room that the only influence they have is awful people, they're going to learn to be an awful person. To extend the learning metaphor, now find out what you have to do to teach the AI to not be an awful person, or teach that this will get you shunned by people. I think that kind of machine learning would be great. If you just arbitarily program it to be 'decent' or not say certain things, there will be problems in the future when someone doesn't include that arbitrary programming.
That is optimistic. Just as kids learn bad things from peers despite the best intentions of parents, software that learns from people will eventually interact with the internet...which has not shown the best side of humanity for the last few decades.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 24 Mar 2016, 15:02

thoreau wrote:
That is optimistic. Just as kids learn bad things from peers despite the best intentions of parents, software that learns from people will eventually interact with the internet...which has not shown the best side of humanity for the last few decades.
But that's exactly my point. If there's ever the idea to let AIs be out in the wild, they're going to then interact with the public, and through the internet. So shouldn't we learn how to teach AIs how to not "fall in with the bad crowd"? Just like teaching your children that "Yes, you will encounter people who say and do hateful things, who attack other people, and who degrade and disrespect whole groups, but those are not people to be emulated or look up to" I think we need to figure out with machine learning how to get them to the same kind of place, without either trying to keep those AIs in some sort of walled garden (because those walls aren't as high or crumble-proof as you think, ever) or programming in blocks like "My mommy says...". Sure, it's optimistic. But why not be optimistic?
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Warren

Post by Warren » 24 Mar 2016, 15:11

Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Recognizably robot terminators is a good thing. Recognizably robot pleasure-bots, not so much.
Why not? We've made due with them for the past 30 years at least. Robots can do things that humans can't or won't.
Yes, but have you paid your dues?
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

the innominate one

Post by the innominate one » 24 Mar 2016, 16:27

Taktix® wrote:Because when I think "customer service" I think a 15-year-old no-nothing Taylor Swift fanboy.
The phrase you want is "know-nothing".
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." -E Benn

"No shit, Sherlock." -JsubD

"now is the time to go fuck yourself until you die." -dhex

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Mar 2016, 16:38

the innominate one wrote:
Taktix[REGISTERED SIGN] wrote:Because when I think "customer service" I think a 15-year-old no-nothing Taylor Swift fanboy.
The phrase you want is "know-nothing".
You're right, and I have no witty comeback.

I shall make sacrifices to the gods of grammar and rapid ALT-Tabbing this evening...

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 25 Mar 2016, 04:30

Jasper wrote:
Sandy wrote:
JasonL wrote:Agree with tr0g.
And if they need emotive signifiers, well, that's what emoji are for.
Exactly what I was thinking of.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Apr 2016, 20:33

"Singularity University" is not the Harvard of Silicon Valley, it is not even the Oral Roberts of Silicon Valley. No one should waste their time with them.
Artificial intelligence will soon surpass the skills of the best human doctors and remove all inefficiencies from health care systems. These AIs will invent new pharmaceuticals to cure previously fatal diseases and will 3D print customized medicines based on genetic analysis of individual patients. Perhaps best of all, he said, plummeting production costs and rising prosperity will make such fantastic medical care essentially free.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2016, 20:44

dbcooper wrote:"Singularity University" is not the Harvard of Silicon Valley, it is not even the Oral Roberts of Silicon Valley. No one should waste their time with them.
Artificial intelligence will soon surpass the skills of the best human doctors and remove all inefficiencies from health care systems. These AIs will invent new pharmaceuticals to cure previously fatal diseases and will 3D print customized medicines based on genetic analysis of individual patients. Perhaps best of all, he said, plummeting production costs and rising prosperity will make such fantastic medical care essentially free.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't know what you're laughing at. Oh wait, it's the part about removing inefficiencies from the health care system isn't it?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Apr 2016, 20:46

All of it is mind bogglingly stupid, but especially "3D print customized medicines".

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2016, 20:47

dbcooper wrote:All of it is mind bogglingly stupid, but especially "3D print customized medicines".
No, that will be a thing within 20 years.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Apr 2016, 20:50

No, it will not. Please look up 3D printing at wikipedia.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 05 Apr 2016, 20:55

dbcooper wrote:"Singularity University" is not the Harvard of Silicon Valley, it is not even the Oral Roberts of Silicon Valley. No one should waste their time with them.
Yeah, agree the optimism is way over the top. That technology will eventually solve just about every problem and, in the process, "leave humanity with more leisure time" is pretty much a core belief of the area, though.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 05 Apr 2016, 20:58

I'm cool with technology solving nearly everything, and "more leisure time for artists everywhere", but these guys don't have a clue.

Warren

Post by Warren » 05 Apr 2016, 22:00

dbcooper wrote:No, it will not. Please look up 3D printing at wikipedia.
Oh. You want to quibble over semantics.

nevermind
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 06 Apr 2016, 12:28

Silly boys... it's going to be injectable nanobots that fix stuff on a molecular level and give us immortality.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 06 Apr 2016, 13:14

Jasper wrote:Silly boys... it's going to be injectable nanobots that fix stuff on a molecular level and give us immortality.
Until the day they turn on us and the entire human race becomes a giant pool of grey goo.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Apr 2016, 14:35

Warren wrote:
Jasper wrote:Silly boys... it's going to be injectable nanobots that fix stuff on a molecular level and give us immortality.
Until the day they turn on us and the entire human race becomes a giant pool of grey goo.
Did you ever read Greg Bear's Blood Music? That's one of two books I put down because they were too fucking creepy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 06 Apr 2016, 14:51

Warren wrote:
No way, humans will be exterminated when the machines remove the other "inefficiencies from health care systems"...

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 06 Apr 2016, 18:22

Taktix® wrote:
Warren wrote:
No way, humans will be exterminated when the machines remove the other "inefficiencies from health care systems"...
Either way they have detailed files on human anatomy.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 06 Apr 2016, 18:36

Programmed in multiple techniques? A broad variety of pleasuring?
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 06 Apr 2016, 20:34

Weak. Weeeak.