Welcome, Robot Overlords, Er, Servants!

Mo

Re: Welcome, Robot Overlords, Er, Servants!

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2016, 20:56

Jennifer wrote:
While he won jobs-and-economy voters in ten states, he won immigration voters in twelve, and terrorism voters in twelve.
For those "immigration" voters, some of them are undoubtedly inspired by racism (of the "Oh no, white people will cease to be the American majority!" variety), but for others, their main complaint about immigrants is that "they took our jerbs," which is simply a roundabout way of saying "They're worried about their jobs and/or economic prospects."
This is a bit "heads I win, tails you lose." If they were concerned about jobs, they would say jobs. But immigration could just as easily be terrorism, law and order, culture or even economic in a way unrelated to jobs (e.g. welfare). However, those that were concerned about the economy/jobs did not overindex Trump. I provided evidence rather than my gut.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Mar 2016, 21:45

Mo wrote:
Jennifer wrote:
While he won jobs-and-economy voters in ten states, he won immigration voters in twelve, and terrorism voters in twelve.
For those "immigration" voters, some of them are undoubtedly inspired by racism (of the "Oh no, white people will cease to be the American majority!" variety), but for others, their main complaint about immigrants is that "they took our jerbs," which is simply a roundabout way of saying "They're worried about their jobs and/or economic prospects."
This is a bit "heads I win, tails you lose." If they were concerned about jobs, they would say jobs. But immigration could just as easily be terrorism, law and order, culture or even economic in a way unrelated to jobs (e.g. welfare). However, those that were concerned about the economy/jobs did not overindex Trump. I provided evidence rather than my gut.
Whereas I'm going based on what the guy's actually saying in his speeches (and not just the hideously racist soundbites).

Maybe all this while, a large swath of my white compatriots were far more racist that I'd thought -- and not just the relatively small number who hang out at Stormfront, the Daily Stormer, and the like. The Stormfronters et al are not, by themselves, numerous enough to explain Trump's popularity. I know that American Muslim-bashing of the "Don't build a mosque in my neighborhood, dammit!" variety didn't kick in directly after 9/11, but waited until after the economy took a tumble in 2008. So all this, combined with certain 20th-century historical events (and more recent polls such as the NPR link I posted earlier), still leads me to think that, excluding the open Stormfront types, this is coming primarily from people's economic fears. But, yeah -- it could also be that all those years the GOP spent blowing racist dog whistles laid the groundwork for a candidate like Trump, who threw away the dog whistle and blows a tuba instead.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Mar 2016, 22:13

A lot of it isn't straight up Stormfronters. There are a lot of folks pissed off about immigration and PC crap and want to get their hippie punch on (it's how Sheriff Joe keeps getting reelected). Here are polls on immigration from pre-Trump. Note that 40% want less immigration and they overweight on Republicans. 2/3s of Republicans want legal immigration to go down.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 21 Mar 2016, 23:05

Just a lament that until someone post another pic on this thread, that Hillary spy mag pic shows up on tapatalk with every new post.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Mar 2016, 00:07

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 22 Mar 2016, 10:19

Interesting, that hasn't helped things yet.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 22 Mar 2016, 12:08

Kolohe wrote:Interesting, that hasn't helped things yet.
Maybe your phone is kinky. (Also, have you tried turning it off and back on?)

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 22 Mar 2016, 13:29

D.A. Ridgely wrote: Maybe your phone is kinky. (Also, have you tried turning it off and back on?)
"Siri! I said the safe word!"
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

JD

Post by JD » 23 Mar 2016, 12:42

"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Mar 2016, 12:55

Wait, what?
You might know Hanson Robotics from their other startlingly realistic robotic heads, including the Philip K. Dick android that disappeared on a plane in 2006 and was rebuilt several years later.
the Philip K. Dick android that disappeared on a plane
I'm sorry, but this is clearly a PKD short story that wrote itself into reality. And nobody mentioned it to me until now? Obviously my news feed is failing me.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Highway

Post by Highway » 23 Mar 2016, 13:17

That friendly robot lady is one of the most lifelike I've seen, but it still turns its head like a blind person: eyes staring straight ahead, rather than tracking an object. If they added that behavior, I think that would help climbing out of the uncanny valley.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Mar 2016, 13:58

Honestly, for many human interaction applications, I think you're better off on the other side of the uncanny valley. Make it cute and nonthreatening. Everybody loves R2-D2.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 23 Mar 2016, 15:09

Agree with tr0g.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 23 Mar 2016, 15:18

tr0g wrote:Honestly, for many human interaction applications, I think you're better off on the other side of the uncanny valley. Make it cute and nonthreatening. Everybody loves R2-D2.
This is where I am. I really don't see a lot of application for human looking robots. Even the really good ones will exhibit behavior or have tells that they are not human which immediately triggers most people's creepy instinct. It has to do with being honest with what it is. So C-3PO or R2D2 is seen as benign while something too close to human is seen as hiding it's nature and therefore suspicious. I also suspect that the less human looking robots trigger a kind of "pet" response like a dog or a horse. I have read about instances in the field where soldiers became very attached to the robots they used much in the same way as any pet owner, including significant grief when something happens to it, and those robots don't even pretend to have a personality.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 23 Mar 2016, 15:22

JasonL wrote:Agree with tr0g.
And if they need emotive signifiers, well, that's what emoji are for.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Mar 2016, 15:46

Cartoons have emotive signifiers nailed down that are way easier to implement than human facial expressions.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 23 Mar 2016, 15:53

Painboy wrote:Even the really good ones will exhibit behavior or have tells that they are not human which immediately triggers most people's creepy instinct. It has to do with being honest with what it is. So C-3PO or R2D2 is seen as benign while something too close to human is seen as hiding it's nature and therefore suspicious.
I recently read an article speculating that the "uncanny valley" is a biological/evolutionary trait: for the vast majority of humanity's time on earth, the only things we'd encounter that looked "Almost human, but slightly 'off''" were corpses -- which are excellent breeding grounds for diseases. So early humans who were not creeped out by the uncanny valley -- in other words, humans who did not mind being in close proximity to corpses -- were more likely to get sick and die before they could pass their "unfazed by the uncanny valley" genes down to the next generation.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

JD

Post by JD » 23 Mar 2016, 16:03

I think one of those videos has the designer saying that he wants his robots to be recognizably robots, which seems like a good idea - better a good implementation of something that's not supposed to be human than a bad implementation of something that is!
"Millennials are lazy. They'd rather have avocado toast than cave in a man's skull with a tire iron!" -FFF

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 23 Mar 2016, 16:23

Recognizably robot terminators is a good thing. Recognizably robot pleasure-bots, not so much.

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 23 Mar 2016, 16:30

D.A. Ridgely wrote:Recognizably robot terminators is a good thing. Recognizably robot pleasure-bots, not so much.
Why not? We've made due with them for the past 30 years at least. Robots can do things that humans can't or won't.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 23 Mar 2016, 16:36

Hugh Akston wrote:
D.A. Ridgely wrote:Recognizably robot terminators is a good thing. Recognizably robot pleasure-bots, not so much.
Why not? We've made due with them for the past 30 years at least. Robots can do things that humans can't or won't.
Yes, but have you paid your dues?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Most people don't realize Stephen King downplayed the horror that is Maine. - Jennifer

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 23 Mar 2016, 16:54

Aresen wrote:
Hugh Akston wrote:
Yes, but have you paid your dues?
It's better to buy outright than pay dues or rent in this case.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 24 Mar 2016, 11:50

Sandy wrote:
JasonL wrote:Agree with tr0g.
And if they need emotive signifiers, well, that's what emoji are for.
"i'd like to move toward not combusting except on special occasions like arbor day." - dhex

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 24 Mar 2016, 12:06

Great movie, btw.

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 24 Mar 2016, 14:04

So, maybe the impeding Robotocracy is not so imminent: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2 ... robot-wit/

Basically Microsoft, and I'm not making this up
(...) created 'Tay', an AI modeled to speak 'like a teen girl', in order to improve the customer service on their voice recognition software.
Because when I think "customer service" I think a 15-year-old no-nothing Taylor Swift fanboy.

But wait, it gets better. They programmed "Tay" to learn from people it interacts with... on the internet. Nothing could possible go wrong there:

I love you, internet!
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie