Epiphanies

Warren

Re: Epiphanies

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2019, 01:51

Jake wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 00:20
I accuse Warren of being a millennial man who brags about how woke he is!
It's a fair cop
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Tuco
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Tuco » 21 Oct 2019, 07:41

Fuckin woke-ass Warren.

Kolohe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kolohe » 21 Oct 2019, 07:52

Tuco wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:41
Fuckin woke-ass Warren.
Fuckin woke ass-Warren
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Tuco

Post by Tuco » 21 Oct 2019, 08:00

Kolohe wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:52
Tuco wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 07:41
Fuckin woke-ass Warren.
Fuckin woke ass-Warren
It works!

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Oct 2019, 08:43

Woke doesn’t mean having awareness of power imbalances in our culture. It means frequent verbal endorsement of only certain power imbalances, getting the order right, and using the right words. It’s more like being a Freemason than like being a sociologist.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Oct 2019, 09:08

Jadagul wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 20:55
Shem wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 11:33

"Woke" is like "cool;" if you have to apply it to yourself, you have all the evidence you need that you're not.
I've heard a lot of complaints about men who talk endlessly about their feminism but won't help do the dishes.
Do you actually hear them, or just read about them in the online discourse? Because this is one of those things I very much only experience at a remove.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 21 Oct 2019, 10:06

nicole wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 09:08
Jadagul wrote:
Shem wrote:

"Woke" is like "cool;" if you have to apply it to yourself, you have all the evidence you need that you're not.
I've heard a lot of complaints about men who talk endlessly about their feminism but won't help do the dishes.
Do you actually hear them, or just read about them in the online discourse? Because this is one of those things I very much only experience at a remove.
I hear plenty of complaints about patriarchy and sexism in meatspace by women who then demand that any physical labor needs to be done by men.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Oct 2019, 10:51

JasonL wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 08:43
It’s more like being a Freemason than like being a sociologist.
Hey. Bite me.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2019, 11:33

Shem wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 10:51
JasonL wrote:
Hey. Bite me.
Wait what? Do you belong to one of those groups? Cause I thought it was Shemasons and Shemologists all the way down.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 21 Oct 2019, 12:06

Shem wrote:
JasonL wrote:
Hey. Bite me.
I don’t know your secret language.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 21 Oct 2019, 14:14

Are there knocks?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2019, 14:28

Pham Nuwen wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:14
Are there knocks?
Knock knocks?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Shem

Post by Shem » 21 Oct 2019, 14:45

Warren wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 11:33
Shem wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 10:51
JasonL wrote:
Hey. Bite me.
Wait what? Do you belong to one of those groups? Cause I thought it was Shemasons and Shemologists all the way down.
I'm a Mason.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

JasonL

Epiphanies

Post by JasonL » 21 Oct 2019, 14:49

Already controls the world, the future shemocracy is a sham! A shamocracy.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2019, 15:06

JasonL wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:49
Already controls the world, the future shemocracy is a sham! A shamocracy.
HA! That rocks. Or, dare I say it... shamrocks.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 21 Oct 2019, 15:21

Show us the secret handshake, Shem! Do you have pictures of you in your apron?

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Oct 2019, 16:36

nicole wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Shem wrote:

I know lots of women who express that complaint about the men in their life.

As a generalized statement, I almost exclusively hear it online, but then that's also where I read generalized statements about gender politics, mostly.

I have definitely heard the same complaints from real-life friends, sometimes in the general but also often in the specific. I can think of one specific friend who said she had been trying to only date men who were willing to describe themselves as feminist, and then was really disappointed by how often the overtly feminist men were also, like, super sexist in practice.

But generally there's a thing where I'll date someone, and they'll be really impressed by me taking care of them in ways that seem super trivial, and I get sad. I mean, I'll take the plaudits and cookies, but it's just sad that "Keeps track of partner's dietary restrictions and picks restaurants that accommodate them" or "cooks full meal for date night" are things that just blow people away.

Warren

Post by Warren » 21 Oct 2019, 16:53

Jadagul wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 16:36
But generally there's a thing where I'll date someone, and they'll be really impressed by me taking care of them in ways that seem super trivial, and I get sad. I mean, I'll take the plaudits and cookies, but it's just sad that "Keeps track of partner's dietary restrictions and picks restaurants that accommodate them" or "cooks full meal for date night" are things that just blow people away.
For realz? Fuck. If I was in my 20's now, I'd be ass deep in pussy.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Oct 2019, 17:16

Warren wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 16:53
Jadagul wrote:
For realz? Fuck. If I was in my 20's now, I'd be ass deep in pussy.
I mean, that's not what gets me laid, I don't think. It's more a nice bonus for my partners, from their perspective, I think. I do think it makes them more want to _date_ me seriously relative to the getting-laid-ness.

But the amount of consideration and attention many of my friends/partners expect from their partners is just depressingly low.

nicole

Post by nicole » 21 Oct 2019, 17:37

Jadagul wrote:
nicole wrote:
Jadagul wrote:
Shem wrote:

I know lots of women who express that complaint about the men in their life.

As a generalized statement, I almost exclusively hear it online, but then that's also where I read generalized statements about gender politics, mostly.

I have definitely heard the same complaints from real-life friends, sometimes in the general but also often in the specific. I can think of one specific friend who said she had been trying to only date men who were willing to describe themselves as feminist, and then was really disappointed by how often the overtly feminist men were also, like, super sexist in practice.

Yeah, I guess I would say, I probably don’t know any women who would specifically date feminist men well enough to talk to about it. The one of my friends who I could allllllmost imagine saying that is married to an incredibly good dude.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Oct 2019, 21:28

So this particular friend is both very (evangelical?) Christian and also very liberal. And those are both very important to her and she's struggling finding dates in the intersection, because most of the Christians where she lives (not a large city) are pretty conservative, in a "Women belong in the kitchen"-leaning sort of way.

So she screened for people who are Christian and also liberal/feminist. And then got depressed by how bad "is willing to self-describe as a feminist" was at identifying men who actually respected their partners and supported their careers etc.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Oct 2019, 22:05

Jadagul wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:28
So this particular friend is both very (evangelical?) Christian and also very liberal. And those are both very important to her and she's struggling finding dates in the intersection, because most of the Christians where she lives (not a large city) are pretty conservative, in a "Women belong in the kitchen"-leaning sort of way.

So she screened for people who are Christian and also liberal/feminist. And then got depressed by how bad "is willing to self-describe as a feminist" was at identifying men who actually respected their partners and supported their careers etc.
I don't think there's anything that says a feminist can't be an asshole too.

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Oct 2019, 22:44

Painboy wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 22:05
Jadagul wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 21:28

I don't think there's anything that says a feminist can't be an asshole too.
This is true. There's even nothing that says a feminist can't be an asshole in a specifically sexist way, unfortunately.

But it's kind of depressing that I actively refuse to call myself a feminist and I'm better at the whole feminism thing than most people who do.

But really, the original comment is in large part a "the faster they counted their spoons" thing. People who are decent don't spend a lot of time bragging about how decent they are, generally.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 21 Oct 2019, 23:26

Jadagul wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 22:44
This is true. There's even nothing that says a feminist can't be an asshole in a specifically sexist way, unfortunately.

But it's kind of depressing that I actively refuse to call myself a feminist and I'm better at the whole feminism thing than most people who do.

But really, the original comment is in large part a "the faster they counted their spoons" thing. People who are decent don't spend a lot of time bragging about how decent they are, generally.
Which is just an aspect of the fact that assholism correlates strongly with the fervor with which the asshole embraces a belief or ideology.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Number 6

Post by Number 6 » 21 Oct 2019, 23:42

Aresen wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 23:26
Jadagul wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 22:44

Which is just an aspect of the fact that assholism correlates strongly with the fervor with which the asshole embraces a belief or ideology.
This explains many libertarians
" i discovered you eat dog dicks out of a bowl marked "dog dicks" because you're too stupid to remember where you left your bowl of dog dicks."-dhex, of course.
"Come, let us go forth and not rape together"-Jadagul