Epiphanies

Solitudinarian

Re: Epiphanies

Post by Solitudinarian » 18 Oct 2019, 12:32

If I do not make overdue medical and dental appointments in the Army, those departments eventually will call ME and offer appointments at much earlier dates than I would get otherwise. This is wonderful, even if I have to hide in a closet when I hear 1SG in the hallway in the meanwhile.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

Solitudinarian

Post by Solitudinarian » 18 Oct 2019, 12:35

Also: dates are especially good when wrapped in bacon and baked in the oven.
“I have no Message to reveal. But later on––Who knows?––I might.”

“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.”

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2019, 12:39

I don't like dates or figs (or Fig Newtons) and don't even mention dried apricots. To each his own. I only very rarely eat raisins, for that matter, maybe in a bowl of raisin bran cereal or as an ingredient of some sort of pudding or some such, but if I'm going to pack dried fruit of any sort, say, for an extended trip, it's more likely than not going to be some of those little boxes of raisins my mother used to pack in my school lunch box. Yes, it's a comfort food, albeit rather low down on the list of such foods. She'd also buy Fig Newtons for school lunches and 'cookies' at home and I'd eat them, but only because there were no real cookies available. Like the little boxes of raisins, they strike me as irredeemably "old-timey" food that I'm happy to have turned my back on.

I'm a firm believer that very young children should be fed peanuts and peanut butter and that this alleged epidemic of peanut allergies is largely the result of improper parental feeding practices. I have no proof of this, but I don't know anyone my age with a peanut allergy, let alone any kid back when I was a kid who went into anaphylactic shock over a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Maybe they did. Maybe they were just quietly buried and quickly forgotten about after lawyers from Big Peanut laid a fat settlement check on their parents.

But as someone mentioned in another thread, there may be some evolutionary hard-wiring that makes all children fussy eaters around the time vegetables are forced on them. (Of course, like pets, the fussiest eater will miraculously overcome those scruples if they get hungry enough.) As the father of three children, one of whom hardly knew what food was when we brought her home from Russia, I'm convinced that if you can get a kid to eat peanut butter, your problems with your kids getting enough protein are solved. Peanuts for the win, gawddamnit!

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Oct 2019, 12:41

Mo wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:28
Pistachios are the best nut
Oh I don't know. Depends on what criteria you're going on. If you're eating a bowl of nuts, pistachios have a lot going for them. You have to pry them out of their shell, and that prevents you from shoveling fist fulls into your mouth. Which is a good thing. But you don't have to crack them and potentially mash them into pieces, or pry them out with a pick. There's no bitter paper to worry about either. OTOH if you're putting nuts into backed goods, pistachios aren't even on the list.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Warren

Post by Warren » 18 Oct 2019, 12:45

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:39
...those little boxes of raisins my mother used to pack in my school lunch box. Yes, it's a comfort food, albeit rather low down on the list of such foods.
I am of the opinion that raisins should only be eaten out of those little red boxes with the Sun Maid on them.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 18 Oct 2019, 14:54

These don't seem to be so much 'epiphanies' as 'observations I have probably made frequently and only just now thought to mention". ;)

I do have one, though: the millenial men I work with currently are not, despite their self-assurances, more 'woke' than the men who came before them. And yet they are convinced they are, which makes them infinitely worse to deal with.
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 18 Oct 2019, 15:44

Warren wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 12:45
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
...those little boxes of raisins my mother used to pack in my school lunch box. Yes, it's a comfort food, albeit rather low down on the list of such foods.
I am of the opinion that raisins should only be eaten out of those little red boxes with the Sun Maid on them.
Eating the Sun Maid's box will get you on a list in most states.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 18 Oct 2019, 18:21

Never understood the love of pistachios. Cashews are the best nut.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Oct 2019, 22:18

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
I don't like dates or figs (or Fig Newtons) and don't even mention dried apricots. To each his own. I only very rarely eat raisins, for that matter, maybe in a bowl of raisin bran cereal or as an ingredient of some sort of pudding or some such, but if I'm going to pack dried fruit of any sort, say, for an extended trip, it's more likely than not going to be some of those little boxes of raisins my mother used to pack in my school lunch box. Yes, it's a comfort food, albeit rather low down on the list of such foods. She'd also buy Fig Newtons for school lunches and 'cookies' at home and I'd eat them, but only because there were no real cookies available. Like the little boxes of raisins, they strike me as irredeemably "old-timey" food that I'm happy to have turned my back on.

I'm a firm believer that very young children should be fed peanuts and peanut butter and that this alleged epidemic of peanut allergies is largely the result of improper parental feeding practices. I have no proof of this, but I don't know anyone my age with a peanut allergy, let alone any kid back when I was a kid who went into anaphylactic shock over a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Maybe they did. Maybe they were just quietly buried and quickly forgotten about after lawyers from Big Peanut laid a fat settlement check on their parents.

But as someone mentioned in another thread, there may be some evolutionary hard-wiring that makes all children fussy eaters around the time vegetables are forced on them. (Of course, like pets, the fussiest eater will miraculously overcome those scruples if they get hungry enough.) As the father of three children, one of whom hardly knew what food was when we brought her home from Russia, I'm convinced that if you can get a kid to eat peanut butter, your problems with your kids getting enough protein are solved. Peanuts for the win, gawddamnit!
My youngest has a peanut allergy ... like anaphylactic as fuck allergy ...
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 18 Oct 2019, 22:50

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 22:18
D.A. Ridgely wrote:

My youngest has a peanut allergy ... like anaphylactic as fuck allergy ...
How old was s/he when you discovered it?

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 18 Oct 2019, 23:39

Around one or so. When we were getting Robbie checked out, we decided to check him out as well.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 19 Oct 2019, 00:09

Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 23:39
Around one or so. When we were getting Robbie checked out, we decided to check him out as well.
Sorry to hear it. Does it run in the family generationally?

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 19 Oct 2019, 00:51

Wixenstyx wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 14:54
These don't seem to be so much 'epiphanies' as 'observations I have probably made frequently and only just now thought to mention". ;)

I do have one, though: the millenial men I work with currently are not, despite their self-assurances, more 'woke' than the men who came before them. And yet they are convinced they are, which makes them infinitely worse to deal with.
What is the discrepancy between their perceived and actual levels of wokeness?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Warren

Post by Warren » 19 Oct 2019, 11:22

Wixenstyx wrote:

I am very sorry to learn of this. And I won't say "I told you so".
damnit
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 19 Oct 2019, 18:05

Warren wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 11:22
Wixenstyx wrote:

damnit
You can say it. It's fair.

What I mean, by the way, is that if 'woke' suggests 'mindful of inherent power imbalances in our culture such that deliberate effort is made to mitigate them in personal and professional interactions', my bosses have identified themselves as 'woke' along certain narrow margins. Their SJW sensibilities extend just far enough for them to congratulate themselves on how progressive they are, but not far enough to actually be a consideration in decisions they're making.

By way of example: middle school students - and most students, honestly - are usually much calmer and quieter in the morning, and more awake/active in the afternoon. Our student body comprises urban sixth graders, many of whom are coming to us from single-family homes, and many are coming to us with various trauma-related issues. They are also in sixth grade, so hormones are kicking in randomly and with abandon, especially among the boys. We have boys still playing with Pokemon cards sitting in class next to boys with facial hair. (There's a reason why Middle School is giving its own, special teacher certification in many states.)

My bosses, presumably aware of all of this, have assigned themselves to oversee these large, 40-students-to-1-teacher study hall periods in the mornings, while assigning the women to oversee the same periods in the late afternoons. They are mystified as to why the afternoon study halls are a rambunctious mess. Their response is to have the men (none of which have taught more than 5 years) to teach us poor womenfolk (most of whom have taught 10+ years) some "classroom management skills".
Perhaps the greatest loss of all is that we may never again live in a world free of hyperbole. --JasonL

Wixenstyx

Post by Wixenstyx » 19 Oct 2019, 18:13

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 00:09
Pham Nuwen wrote:
18 Oct 2019, 23:39
Sorry to hear it. Does it run in the family generationally?
I have one who developed severe food allergies. In our case, the manifestation was severe eczema covering more than 80% of his body, though, not anaphylaxis. There was only a tenuous genetic connection that we could ascertain. Allergies are seriously uncharted territory in a lot of ways.

This might be germane later, BTW. At age 17, we've learned my food-allergic kid suffers from an autoimmune disorder (ITP) in which his body attacks its own platelets. This popped up out of nowhere. As eczema is technically also an autoimmune disorder, his doctor hypothesizes that he may have had this all along, but that it just wasn't serious enough to be detected. No genetic link whatsoever for that one, either. :?

JD

Post by JD » 19 Oct 2019, 18:54

Cap'n Crunch is a midget (or "little person" if you prefer). I mean, he's clearly an adult man, judging by his voice and facial hair and having attained the rank of Captain, but he's also no taller than any children he's ever around.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

dhex

Post by dhex » 20 Oct 2019, 07:30

The only possible upside is that kids can grow out of allergies. Eg the kid was allergic to Peanuts at 2 and can now eat peanut butter. Shit makes little sense.
"i ran over the cat and didnt stop just carried on with tears in my eyes joose driving my way to work." - God

Shem

Post by Shem » 20 Oct 2019, 11:33

Wixenstyx wrote:
19 Oct 2019, 18:05
Warren wrote:
Wixenstyx wrote:

damnit

What I mean, by the way, is that if 'woke' suggests 'mindful of inherent power imbalances in our culture such that deliberate effort is made to mitigate them in personal and professional interactions', my bosses have identified themselves as 'woke' along certain narrow margins. Their SJW sensibilities extend just far enough for them to congratulate themselves on how progressive they are, but not far enough to actually be a consideration in decisions they're making.
"Woke" is like "cool;" if you have to apply it to yourself, you have all the evidence you need that you're not.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 20 Oct 2019, 18:22

I was informed recently that you're not supposed to say "woke" but rather "awakening" because "woke" implies that you're done learning, but there are always more prejudices to become aware of.

(When she first started talking I thought it was going to be a point of grammar, and was sad when it didn't turn out that way.)

(Also, I feel like I might have told this story already, and I apologize if I'm repeating myself!)
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 20 Oct 2019, 20:55

Shem wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 11:33
Wixenstyx wrote:
Warren wrote:
Wixenstyx wrote:

damnit

"Woke" is like "cool;" if you have to apply it to yourself, you have all the evidence you need that you're not.
I've heard a lot of complaints about men who talk endlessly about their feminism but won't help do the dishes.

Warren

Post by Warren » 20 Oct 2019, 23:41

Jadagul wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 20:55
Shem wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 11:33
Wixenstyx wrote:
Warren wrote:
Wixenstyx wrote:

damnit

I've heard a lot of complaints about men who talk endlessly about their feminism but won't help do the dishes.
I do the dishes, and I can't remember ever mentioning my feminism.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jadagul

Post by Jadagul » 21 Oct 2019, 00:15

I don't think anyone has accused you of being a millennial man who brags about how woke you are.

Jake

Post by Jake » 21 Oct 2019, 00:20

I accuse Warren of being a millennial man who brags about how woke he is!
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 21 Oct 2019, 01:06

I hate all these fucking millennials always running around bragging about how woke they are. And I blame Warren.*

*See? Sometimes the old ways really are the best.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b