Our Friends, The House of Saud

Aresen

Re: Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Aresen » 06 Oct 2018, 20:03

Mo wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 19:25
So he wasn’t kidnapped.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/mi ... story.html
The Saudis say he left a few minutes after he entered. They don't mention whether he was alive or dead when he left.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2018, 00:16

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 19:39
Fuck. I just saw that. Shit.

Well, it's not truly confirmed that he was killed and they might still have kidnapped him so there can be this shitstorm and then he can pop up in KSA and say, "I was not kidnapped. I came to Saudi Arabia of my own free will. I have nothing more to say at this time." The Sauds still get the chilling effect on dissent, but also get cover from diplomatic retaliation.

But there's no 'good' outcome from this.
Anything that sours our relations with THOS has at least that going for it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2018, 06:31

This administration DGAF about this stuff.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2018, 10:12

lunchstealer wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 19:39
Fuck. I just saw that. Shit.

Well, it's not truly confirmed that he was killed and they might still have kidnapped him so there can be this shitstorm and then he can pop up in KSA and say, "I was not kidnapped. I came to Saudi Arabia of my own free will. I have nothing more to say at this time." The Sauds still get the chilling effect on dissent, but also get cover from diplomatic retaliation.

But there's no 'good' outcome from this.
A good outcome would be showing up at his own death press conference, like that one guy who faked his assassination did.

But I don't think it's very likely.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2018, 10:36

Mo wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 06:31
This administration DGAF about this stuff.
True, but I don't think any recent administration would have gone beyond 'tut-tut' (if that.)
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2018, 10:40

I think the Saudis wouldn't be so fucking brazen were it not for Trump specifically in the White House.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2018, 13:22

Kolohe wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 10:40
I think the Saudis wouldn't be so fucking brazen were it not for Trump specifically in the White House.
Why do you think that?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 07 Oct 2018, 14:10

Trump might invite CNN reporters to a reception at a consulate.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2018, 15:03

Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Why do you think that?
KSA was pretty pissed at the Obama admin for holding their feet to the fire, relatively speaking.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Warren

Post by Warren » 07 Oct 2018, 15:07

Mo wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 15:03
Warren wrote:
Kolohe wrote:
Why do you think that?
KSA was pretty pissed at the Obama admin for holding their feet to the fire, relatively speaking.
Right. They certainly weren't any less brazen.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Our Friends, The House of Saud

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2018, 15:42

KSA has been loads more brazen. Pot ejemplo, there is zero chance the Obama state department stays silent when the Canadian ambassador gets expelled.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2018, 16:46

Mo wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 15:42
KSA has been loads more brazen. Pot ejemplo, there is zero chance the Obama state department stays silent when the Canadian ambassador gets expelled.
Possibly, possibly not. We'll never know.

Has BHO spoken out on any international or diplomatic issue since leaving office?

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 07 Oct 2018, 16:58

Aresen wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 16:46
Mo wrote:

Has BHO spoken out on any international or diplomatic issue since leaving office?
I've only heard of him speaking publicly maybe twice since then.

But Trump's state department has explicitly moved humanitarian, war crimes, etc, down the priority list and as such I doubt they'll so much as peep about this. As long as HOS/KSA reps keep fluffing Trump, he will see it as a sign of strength and at best handwave it away, and at worst 'joke' about how we should do that, too.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 07 Oct 2018, 17:34

lunchstealer wrote:
07 Oct 2018, 16:58
Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

I've only heard of him speaking publicly maybe twice since then.

But Trump's state department has explicitly moved humanitarian, war crimes, etc, down the priority list and as such I doubt they'll so much as peep about this. As long as HOS/KSA reps keep fluffing Trump, he will see it as a sign of strength and at best handwave it away, and at worst 'joke' about how we should do that, too.
Trump is a chickenhawk thug, no doubt. But I am dubious that any US administration would be much better, at least where 'strategic partners' were concerned.

Mo

Post by Mo » 07 Oct 2018, 18:53

Aresen wrote:
Mo wrote:

He spoke out against strongman politics at the Mandela 100th anniversary thing. Some of it was a dig at Trump, but he went further afield.
In the West, you've got far-right parties that oftentimes are based not just on platforms of protectionism and closed borders, but also on barely hidden racial nationalism. Many developing countries now are looking at China's model of authoritarian control combined with mercantilist capitalism as preferable to the messiness of democracy. Who needs free speech as long as the economy is going good? The free press is under attack. Censorship and state control of media is on the rise.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Oct 2018, 20:16

The entire point of the right side of this graph is to tell the Saudis and the rest of the GCC to go pound their copious sand.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Oct 2018, 07:17

Turkey say they murdered him in the consulate and are asking permission to search it. Surprising.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Oct 2018, 09:57

I was surprised, but I don't think any nation wants that kind of disrespect for their sovereignty. Turkey may have learned from the fooferaw in DC that people actually care about these kind of diplomatic issues, and they still get far more support from the West than they do from the Saudis.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Oct 2018, 10:57

Why would Erdogan care about the murder of a journalist?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Oct 2018, 12:57

thoreau wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:57
Because he didn't order it.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Oct 2018, 12:58

Painboy wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 12:57
thoreau wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 10:57
Because he didn't order it.
"Not on MY turf!"

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 08 Oct 2018, 16:21

Also Erdogan wants Turkey to be king shit of the southwest Asian fuck mountain.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 08 Oct 2018, 16:26

I can only imagine the conversations in the White House as State Department civil servants try to get Trump to care that a WaPo writer has gone missing.
--Shem

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 08 Oct 2018, 16:49

thoreau wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 16:26
I can only imagine the conversations in the White House as State Department civil servants try to get Trump to care that a WaPo writer has gone missing.
OTOH, I can just imagine Mattis and Pompeo trying to stop Trump from tweeting that 'Khashoggi had it coming.'

Mo

Post by Mo » 10 Oct 2018, 18:51

Looks like the White House knee shit was going down.

https://observer.com/2018/10/nsa-source ... gi-danger/