Yet another thing nobody could have foreseen

JD
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Yet another thing nobody could have foreseen

Post by JD » 09 Feb 2011, 10:18

thoreau wrote:By contrast, most of our countrymen here will probably have no problem taking off their shoes and handing over shampoo for the rest of time. A few complained about gropes and nude photos, but those complaints are quieter now.
I'm reminded of the Asch conformity experiments, and how they might apply to social protest. It does seem like almost everybody in America happily agrees to take off their shoes and shuffle through the line, but even a little dissent may have a large effect...and maybe even someone advocating more intrusive searches might have the effect of encouraging opposition to speak out.
I sort of feel like a sucker about aspiring to be intellectually rigorous when I could just go on twitter and say capitalism causes space herpes and no one will challenge me on it. - Hugh Akston

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 07 Mar 2011, 09:23

Protest Organizers Ordered to Shut Offices in Iraq
The NY Times wrote:Two political parties that led demonstrations in Baghdad over the past two weeks said on Monday that security forces controlled by Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki had ordered them to close their offices.

The actions came amid growing concerns that Mr. Maliki, who is backed by the United States, is using force and other measures to stifle this country’s democracy.
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Aresen
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2011, 12:37

The Craigslist Sex Brouhaha was based on faulty research.

Who'd of thought that a "Women's Studies Group" might present a biased report to a Congressional Committee?
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 27 Mar 2011, 13:11

Aresen wrote:The Craigslist Sex Brouhaha was based on faulty research.

Who'd of thought that a "Women's Studies Group" might present a biased report to a Congressional Committee?
Even if this particular study is flawed, sex trafficking is still bad and by questioning the study you are showing that you don't really object to bad things.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 27 Mar 2011, 13:11

Has the Congressional committee issued an apology yet, or are they going to wait until business resumes tomorrow?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

J sub D

Post by J sub D » 27 Mar 2011, 19:09

thoreau wrote:

Even if this particular study is flawed, sex trafficking the right to control one's* own body* is still bad and by questioning the study you are showing that you don't really object to bad things.
Minor edit, probably unwelcome. ;-)

* Is that apostrophe kosher?
EDIT: Oh, and the civil rights and basic human dignity thing too. - JasonL

My guess is this is the love child of some Objectivists what got excommunicated. - Warren

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 27 Mar 2011, 19:35

thoreau wrote:

Even if this particular study is flawed, sex trafficking is still bad and by questioning the study you are showing that you don't really object to bad things.
Guilty as charged. :twisted:
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 29 Mar 2011, 17:03

thoreau wrote:

This can be ultimately traced to our society's pervasive Bad Thing Culture.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Stevo Darkly

Post by Stevo Darkly » 29 Mar 2011, 17:14

J sub D wrote:
thoreau wrote:

Even if this particular study is flawed, sex trafficking the right to control one's* own body* is still bad and by questioning the study you are showing that you don't really object to bad things.
Minor edit, probably unwelcome. ;-)

* Is that apostrophe kosher?
Yep, that apostrophe is fine.

However, I cannot forbear from pointing out that the "Who'd of thought" that someone wrote earlier should really be "Who'd have thought" (or maybe "Who'd've thought," but that looks really weird).

EDIT: Also, I might have used "forbear" wrong. It might not need to be followed by "from." I have no idea.
"I don't know if you can call it a stereotype when I was in a room full of people actually doing it." -- Keith S.

Warren

Post by Warren » 29 Mar 2011, 19:27

Stevo Darkly wrote:However, I cannot forbear from pointing out that the "Who'd of thought" that someone wrote earlier should really be "Who'd have thought" (or maybe "Who'd've thought," but that looks really weird)
Hoo-dove thought.
Tow the lion!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 29 Mar 2011, 22:56

Stevo Darkly wrote:However, I cannot forbear from pointing out that the "Who'd of thought" that someone wrote earlier should really be "Who'd have thought" (or maybe "Who'd've thought," but that looks really weird).

EDIT: Also, I might have used "forbear" wrong. It might not need to be followed by "from." I have no idea.
OK. I screwed up my idiom.

Instead of rationally examining my error and noting the correction like a good Canadian, I'm going to go berserk and gun down 50 people in a local mall as a deflection of my anger at Stevo for pointing it out.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Mar 2011, 03:14

Aresen wrote:
Stevo Darkly wrote:However, I cannot forbear from pointing out that the "Who'd of thought" that someone wrote earlier should really be "Who'd have thought" (or maybe "Who'd've thought," but that looks really weird).

OK. I screwed up my idiom.

Instead of rationally examining my error and noting the correction like a good Canadian, I'm going to go berserk and gun down 50 people in a local mall as a deflection of my anger at Stevo for pointing it out.
Hey, big spender. We save that kind of violence for special occasions. For a simple grammar-naziing we just shove our rage down into a tight little ball, and then release it at the appropriate time - like the time Sandy threw the whiskey bottle at the referee.

ETA: Oh, and Stevo's usage of 'forbear from' is more or less correct, as near as I can tell. I think it sounds oddish to 'forbear from' instead to 'forbear to' but both are used. 'Refrain' is what I typically use when I want to use a 'from' prepositional phrase, but that's probably just personal preference.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 30 Mar 2011, 10:39

In many cases, forbear doesn't need a following preposition as in "Jennifer is trying to forbear drinking coffee in the morning."

Using a following preposition, especially among firearms enthusiasts, should be called "loaded forbear."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 30 Mar 2011, 11:12

I didn't want to say anything, but I was unaware of a forbear + preposition construction.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Mar 2011, 12:11

Yeah, I think that construction doesn't get used much, but it exists and is used as an example in intarwebs dictionary entries. I tend to roll without the preposition myself.

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 30 Mar 2011, 17:36

Golly:

http://dailycaller.
com/2011/03/30/bill-kristol-declares-obama-a-born-again-neo-con-days-after-consulting-with-him-on-libya-policy/
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 30 Mar 2011, 18:01

dbcooper wrote:Golly:

http://dailycaller.
com/2011/03/30/bill-kristol-declares-obama-a-born-again-neo-con-days-after-consulting-with-him-on-libya-policy/
You know, he went right out and earned that endorsement. :evil: :lol: :evil: :lol:

Fuckit, I'm just gonna 'splode my head now.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 01 Apr 2011, 22:21

From Bloomberg via Drudge: Foreign banks were among the biggest borrowers from the Fed during the TARP/.

I confess I was a little surprised for the reason that it simply did not occur to me that non-US banks could borrow from the Fed, but this should have been obvious to anyone who understood that.

I am going to have a nice glass of schadenfreude when all the Congresscritters who voted to support TARP start bloviating about this.

EDIT TO ADD: (Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to Bloomberg, so I was unable to drill through to the list of banks that took part. Bloomberg names the biggest ones, but I am curious as to whether any Canadian Banks were on the list.)

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 02 Apr 2011, 08:26

Aresen wrote:EDIT TO ADD: (Unfortunately, I don't subscribe to Bloomberg, so I was unable to drill through to the list of banks that took part. Bloomberg names the biggest ones, but I am curious as to whether any Canadian Banks were on the list.)
https://secure.globeadvisor.com/servlet ... SSLATERATL
At least one Canadian bank used the funding. Bank of Montreal, which has operations in the Chicago area, said it used the funds on a limited basis.

"The Fed ensured the discount window and a number of other facilities were available. Like other banks operating in the U.S., BMO prudently tested and maintained its ability to use the these facilities," BMO spokesman Paul Deegan said. "BMO had no issues raising funding in the markets during the financial crisis and maintained a sound liquidity and funding position."

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and Toronto-Dominion Bank said they did not use the discount window.

Canada's major banks also tapped into other emergency-lending programs created by the Fed. Data released in December showed the five largest Canadian banks accessed $110-billion in funding through one Fed program, loans that have since been repaid in full with interest. Such borrowing represented a cheap form of financing, the banks said in December, not a lifeline.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 07 Apr 2011, 18:04

March 28:
Barack Obama wrote:Moreover, we have accomplished these objectives consistent with the pledge that I made to the American people at the outset of our military operations. I said that America's role would be limited; that we would not put ground troops into Libya; that we would focus our unique capabilities on the front end of the operation, and that we would transfer responsibility to our allies and partners. Tonight, we are fulfilling that pledge.
April 7:
the AP wrote:The U.S. may consider sending troops into Libya with a possible international ground force that could aid the rebels, the former U.S. commander of the military mission said Thursday, describing the current operation as a stalemate that is more likely to go on now that America has handed control to NATO.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 07 Apr 2011, 19:55

As an aside, I always liked how the leader of the 3rd war in a decade in a Muslim-majority nation is named Ham.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Apr 2011, 20:51

Kolohe wrote:As an aside, I always liked how the leader of the 3rd war in a decade in a Muslim-majority nation is named Ham.
I wonder, will Shem, and Japheth be next?

Shem

Post by Shem » 08 Apr 2011, 01:32

Well, I am looking to get into the Warlord game.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Jake

Post by Jake » 08 Apr 2011, 13:33

And "Jake" is, of course, short for "Japheth."
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 12 Apr 2011, 19:01