Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

Painboy

Re: Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

Post by Painboy » 14 Dec 2016, 16:00

Fin Fang Foom wrote:
This is what happens when you are surrounded by all bros. Okay looking women become goddesses. I saw the same thing happen at Scout camp on visitors day. This is why tech needs to be more diverse.
While I have no problem with diversity I think it is more guys need to learn to stop thinking with their dick in a professional environment (if that is the reason she seems to be getting a pass despite basically committing fraud).

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Dec 2016, 16:05

Painboy wrote:
Fin Fang Foom wrote:
This is what happens when you are surrounded by all bros. Okay looking women become goddesses. I saw the same thing happen at Scout camp on visitors day. This is why tech needs to be more diverse.
While I have no problem with diversity I think it is more guys need to learn to stop thinking with their dick in a professional environment (if that is the reason she seems to be getting a pass despite basically committing fraud).
Is vs. Ought. Many, many guys in the tech industry ought not to be sexist, racist dipshits, but pointing that out won't fix anything. Get women, etc. in there and cudgel those guys in the head when they misbehave, and they either stop or hide it enough not to matter.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 Dec 2016, 16:16

Perhaps word got out that Holmes is being tapped for HHS Secretary...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Dec 2016, 18:31

Taktix® wrote:Perhaps word got out that Holmes is being tapped for HHS Secretary...
That would be Secretary of Humping His Schlong, right?

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 14 Dec 2016, 21:48

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
Taktix® wrote:Perhaps word got out that Holmes is being tapped for HHS Secretary...
That would be Secretary of Humping His Schlong, right?
You think he makes her use the deep sales floor voice while, uh, heh heh, you know...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Dec 2016, 23:01

I actually think this is their attempt at diversity. They probably think, "Hey fraud and law breaking is how you become successful in the Valley. Look at Zynga, Uber or any number of other unicorns. " it's just that people are a wee bit more sensitive to medical fraud.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Dec 2016, 15:11

zynga and uber under the same heading is a bit harsh yo.

Mo

Post by Mo » 15 Dec 2016, 23:46

Because Zynga loses money at a lower rate?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Mo

Post by Mo » 16 Dec 2016, 00:03

Uber may also end up being responsible for setting back acceptance of self driving cars by 5 years.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN143265

http://www.sfexaminer.com/uber-self-dri ... st-day-sf/

Mo

Post by Mo » 18 Jan 2017, 21:07

Draper is just going to go down with the ship, isn't he?

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 19 Jan 2017, 12:59

Hypothesized this was about John Hamm's unfortunate new commercials.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 19 Jan 2017, 15:57

JasonL wrote:Hypothesized this was about John Hamm's unfortunate new commercials.
Me too, esp since it seems like they bringing back that instant refund thing, which almost put in in permanent FTC purgatory last time.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Jan 2017, 16:08

Kolohe wrote:
JasonL wrote:Hypothesized this was about John Hamm's unfortunate new commercials.
Me too, esp since it seems like they bringing back that instant refund thing, which almost put in in permanent FTC purgatory last time.
I think they're bringing it back because they're offering them as no interest loans as opposed to charging crazy high fees for them.

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Apr 2017, 16:11

Disruption! Though part of me has only a tiny bit of sympathy for the hedge fund. Due diligence, how does it fucking work?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-s ... 1492794470

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 21 Apr 2017, 20:25

Mo wrote:Disruption! Though part of me has only a tiny bit of sympathy for the hedge fund. Due diligence, how does it fucking work?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/theranos-s ... 1492794470
I really want to hear from the people in on this and why they allowed things to go this route. If I had been hired and then found out there was no working super testing machine and someone suggested we secretly buy outside stuff and pass it off as ours, I would have walked out the door that very moment. Did the she have blackmail material on people or something?

Mo

Post by Mo » 21 Apr 2017, 23:43

Stock options, this is a short term jury rig until we get our machines working, stock options.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 30 May 2017, 13:25

Theranos did tests on board members using vein draws rather than pin pricks, but they continued to believe in the pin prick technology:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/05 ... -own-eyes/

That kool-aid must be amazing.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Aug 2017, 18:37

LOL:

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Shem

Post by Shem » 01 Aug 2017, 18:41

That guy who has a nail in his prefrontal cortex would, if he weren't in line to become the White House Spokesman.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 01 Aug 2017, 19:18

Shem wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 18:41
That guy who has a nail in his prefrontal cortex would, if he weren't in line to become the White House Spokesman.
Conflict of interest rules would require him to put his cash into a blind trust, but when has that mattered for this administration?
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Aug 2017, 19:23

There are some staggeringly stupid people posting on Hacker News:
I suspect we are going to see Theranos pivot to becoming a conventional medical technology company, probably focusing on lab tech for blood work analysis etc. They are likely to disappear from public consciousness until we hear about an acquisition by a Siemens type company.

They got here through hype, smoke and mirrors, but they now have the capital, social network and core organizational processes in place to do this and it is a rational path to recouping time and $ investments from everyone involved.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Aug 2017, 19:33

Shem wrote:That guy who has a nail in his prefrontal cortex would, if he weren't in line to become the White House Spokesman.
Actually, former head of DHS and now WH chief of staff already was involved with them

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Aug 2017, 19:34

It's amazing that some of the dupes still have speaking and advisory careers.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 01 Aug 2017, 19:54

As this person has their linkedin in their profile, I don't think they're trolling ...
dbcooper 1 hour ago | edit [-]

>now have the capital, social network and core organizational processes in place to do this and it is a rational path to recouping time and $ investments from everyone involved

There is no indication of this. Why would you suggest that a proven and humiliated scam company has these capabilities?
taneem 20 minutes ago [-]

* Capital: https://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan ... /why-thera...

Theranos raised $750 million, including $633 million last year.

* Social Network: Theranos raised money from a wide range of influential investors who can support the company's efforts to secure new customers and who stand to lose to varying degrees if instead Theranos completely folds, even if it returns the remaining balance of funds raised.

* Core organizational processes: the company still has hundreds of employees on the payroll, most of whom are qualified professionals in this field. It is not trivial to recruit and bring together an organization like that. It's unlikely that most of those hundreds of people were directly involved in the shenanigans of the company.

I think those are 3 assets the company would use towards a pivot like I described. But you can't do it without removing the leader who got them here.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Aug 2017, 20:43

dbcooper wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 19:34
It's amazing that some of the dupes still have speaking and advisory careers.
In fairness, it is for the Trump administration.