Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

thoreau

Re: Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

Post by thoreau » 07 Sep 2016, 13:20

I'm leaning more and more toward the theory that there is nothing in this world more enjoyably fragrant than one's own farts.
Last edited by thoreau on 07 Sep 2016, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 07 Sep 2016, 13:31

thoreau wrote:I'm leaning more and more toward the theory that there is nothing in this world more enjoyable fragrant than one's own farts.
Which way are you leaning while you ponder this question?

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Sep 2016, 14:53

Jennifer wrote:Here's an interesting, but lengthy, piece about Ms. Holmes. After reading it, I can't figure out if she was knowingly conning people, or sincerely bought her own hype.
Yeah I just read that article. She seemed far more into trying to be this Jobs-like person than ever wanting to create something that actually provides value.

Also the secrecy thing really should have raised more alarms. I know they mentioned it a bit in the article but medical technology companies need to be open due to the enormous ethical problems they routinely face.

Sandy
Location: In the hearts of little children, clogging their arteries.

Post by Sandy » 07 Sep 2016, 15:03

I'd still hit that
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Taktix®

Post by Taktix® » 07 Sep 2016, 15:14

Painboy wrote:
Jennifer wrote:Here's an interesting, but lengthy, piece about Ms. Holmes. After reading it, I can't figure out if she was knowingly conning people, or sincerely bought her own hype.
Yeah I just read that article. She seemed far more into trying to be this Jobs-like person than ever wanting to create something that actually provides value.

Also the secrecy thing really should have raised more alarms. I know they mentioned it a bit in the article but medical technology companies need to be open due to the enormous ethical problems they routinely face.
Yeah, from the article, I get more of a totally delusional compulsive liar (and amazing salesperson) than some kind of secret villain liar like Madoff. And it sounds like her compulsions (must have hand in ALL THINGS!) are probably going to be her doom, since she can't just throw underlings under the bus when she literally signed off on everything...
Sandy wrote:I'd still hit that
Shouldn't be a problem, as she's apparently still looking for investors...
"Guilty as charged. Go ahead and ban me from the mall." - Ellie

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 07 Sep 2016, 15:47

Painboy wrote:
Well, I'm wondering if on some level, somehow, she actually thought that "being a Jobs-like person" would result in her creating something of value. Sort of like cargo cultism: if you cut runways through the jungle, then surely planes full of cargo will appear as a result, right? Or, dress and act like a successful tech entrepreneur, and surely successful tech entrepreneurship will follow? "Fake it 'til you make it"? There is, IMO, a difference between "dishonesty" and "delusion" (though this difference matters not a bit, to those who invested money in her business): dishonest people know they're being dishonest, whereas deluded people do not.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 07 Sep 2016, 16:03

Taktix® wrote:
Sandy wrote:I'd still hit that
Shouldn't be a problem, as she's apparently still looking for investors...
I mean, I'm open to experimentation, but I'm not looking to be just fucked over and left for dead.
Hindu is the cricket of religions. You can observe it for years, you can have enthusiasts try to explain it to you, and it's still baffling. - Warren

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 07 Sep 2016, 16:53

Jennifer wrote:
Painboy wrote:
Well, I'm wondering if on some level, somehow, she actually thought that "being a Jobs-like person" would result in her creating something of value. Sort of like cargo cultism: if you cut runways through the jungle, then surely planes full of cargo will appear as a result, right? Or, dress and act like a successful tech entrepreneur, and surely successful tech entrepreneurship will follow? There is, IMO, a difference between "dishonesty" and "delusion" (though this difference matters not a bit, to those who invested money in her business): dishonest people know they're being dishonest, whereas deluded people do not.
Exactly. Sort of an ethically free fake it till you make it.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 07 Sep 2016, 19:29

Never forget the insane PR material:

She (further) lowers her voice when public speaking, in a really silly way.

Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 07 Sep 2016, 22:20

I'm guessing I'm in the minority, from all the sexy and easy-on-the-eyes references to her, but she looks like the default face from some book on drawing portraits. Just with the eyes too big.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Sep 2016, 02:48

I don't think I had ever heard her speak before. That was kind of weird.

Also I don't think she is particularly attractive. Maybe it's some pointy elbows thing but she has an odd vacancy about her that repels me.

dbcooper

Post by dbcooper » 08 Sep 2016, 03:21

Apparently in some of the videos available you can hear bits where she drops her put-on voice.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Sep 2016, 08:40

turtleneck? check.
gravitas? check.
meth? CHECK.

holy shit her fucking eyes.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Sep 2016, 10:36

Do rich people really do meth? Don't they do coke and a designer Oxy cocktail?
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Mo

Post by Mo » 08 Sep 2016, 12:51

Kolohe wrote:Do rich people really do meth? Don't they do coke and a designer Oxy cocktail?
Stanford overachievers certainly take Adderall. That's just classy meth.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2016, 13:13

dhex wrote:turtleneck? check.
gravitas? check.
meth? CHECK.

Where was the gravitas?
"Cyberpunk never really gave the government enough credit for their ability to secure a favorable prenup during the Corporate-State wedding." - Shem

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 08 Sep 2016, 13:15

gravitas? check.
meth? CHECK.

As the article pointed out she doesn't blink.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 08 Sep 2016, 13:24

Meth makes more sense than "alien in human skin", I suppose.

Sandy

Post by Sandy » 08 Sep 2016, 13:26

Painboy wrote:
gravitas? check.
meth? CHECK.

As the article pointed out she doesn't blink.
Oh, maybe this whole thing is to work on a secret weapon against the Weeping Angels using testing as a cover. And she can't blink or they'll throw her back in time.

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 08 Sep 2016, 13:37

She's Steve Jobs self-love replicant, turned loose after his private lab was quietly liquidated. Her eyes were designed as mirrors for him to watch himself make love to his female side.

dhex

Post by dhex » 08 Sep 2016, 14:52

Eric the .5b wrote:
gravitas? check.
meth? CHECK.

Where was the gravitas?
Never blinking and the weird voice thing. It's like asmr for narcolepsy.
"I do wear my New Balance tennis shoes when I'm wearing cargo shorts, though, because truth in advertising." - lunch

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 08 Sep 2016, 14:57

That video was creepy as hell. Hadn't seen the full effect. Yikes.

nicole

Post by nicole » 08 Sep 2016, 15:07

She looked more attractive in stills IMO.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"This is why I carry a shoehorn.” -jadagul

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 08 Sep 2016, 15:38

nicole wrote:She looked more attractive in stills IMO.
I forgot for a bit that the Margot Robbie pic that tapatalk features really isn't her.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 08 Sep 2016, 16:32

Painboy wrote:As the article pointed out she doesn't blink.
Sandy wrote:Oh, maybe this whole thing is to work on a secret weapon against the Weeping Angels using testing as a cover. And she can't blink or they'll throw her back in time.
dhex wrote:Never blinking and the weird voice thing. It's like asmr for narcolepsy.
Heh, I read these comments before I watched that video clip, so of course the result was, I noticed her individual blinks far more than I probably would have otherwise. Of course, it's not literally true that she "doesn't blink" -- that claim is hyperbole -- but it is true that she goes far longer between blinks than most people do.

It seems as though she's deliberately trying not to blink while looking at the camera/her audience; I noticed a couple times where she'd look down, away from the camera, and at that point she'd blink several times in a row, almost as though she's "stockpiling" blinks for when she has to look back at the camera again. See the 0:16 mark, for the first such blink-stockpile.

Her low blink rate and obviously forced-low speaking voice genuinely were off-putting. However -- going back to what I said earlier, about being unsure if she's knowingly dishonest or has sincerely deluded herself -- I can see how her off-putting demeanor might be a case of "She's trying to do the right thing, but she's trying too hard." Consider: two fairly common pieces of public speaking advice (especially for women) are: don't blink too much, because that's a sign of nervousness; and "Be wary of your voice going into a higher pitch when you're excited."

So: she's making an effort to "not blink too much" and "not let her voice get too high," but ends up overcompensating and going too far in the opposite direction.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b