Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

dbcooper

Re: Sexy Steve Jobs Costume: The Theranos Thread

Post by dbcooper » 01 Aug 2017, 21:50

Mo wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 20:43
dbcooper wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 19:34
It's amazing that some of the dupes still have speaking and advisory careers.
In fairness, it is for the Trump administration.
Oh others are getting work too.
Slip inside a sleeping bag.

Mo

Post by Mo » 01 Aug 2017, 23:04

dbcooper wrote:
Mo wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
I suspect it's some combination of a) I'm old, b) technology scares me (for the military industrial complex types) c) she was cute d) we needed to invest in a female led company for diversity reasons (this will not be true, but will be used to explain why someone like Draper was a fucking moron about it) e) at least we didn't invest in Clinkle like Theil and Andreesen did.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 01 Aug 2017, 23:50

Mo wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 19:33
Shem wrote:That guy who has a nail in his prefrontal cortex would, if he weren't in line to become the White House Spokesman.
Actually, former head of DHS and now WH chief of staff already was involved with them
It was Mattis, not Kelly that was on the Theranos board.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 01 Aug 2017, 23:57

Mo wrote:
01 Aug 2017, 23:04
dbcooper wrote:
Mo wrote:
dbcooper wrote:
I suspect it's some combination of a) I'm old, b) technology scares me (for the military industrial complex types) c) she was cute d) we needed to invest in a female led company for diversity reasons (this will not be true, but will be used to explain why someone like Draper was a fucking moron about it) e) at least we didn't invest in Clinkle like Theil and Andreesen did.
I'm going with sunk cost fallacy.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Mar 2018, 15:24

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes charged with "massive fraud"
Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes was charged with "massive fraud" by the Securities and Exchange Commission Wednesday, a downbeat coda to a once high-flying Silicon Valley start-up that promised to revolutionize the blood analysis process.

The SEC complaint charged that Theranos raised more than $700 million from late 2013 to 2015 while "deceiving investors by making it appear as if Theranos had successfully developed a commercially-ready portable blood analyzer" that could perform a full range of laboratory tests from a small sample of blood.

“But in reality, we allege that after years of development, Theranos was able to process just a small number of blood tests upon its proprietary analyzer, and instead conducted the vast majority of its patients’ tests on modified commercial analyzers that were manufactured by others,” Steven Peikin, the SEC’s co-director of enforcement, told reporters.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

tr0g

Post by tr0g » 14 Mar 2018, 16:39

I knew some guys who got busted for securities fraud. They had gone into it thinking that they would get a couple years at Club Fed if things went south. The attitude was "I can do two years in Club Fed if I have a couple million stashed offshore". When it all came crashing down, the guy I knew got 25 years. As far as I know he's still in the federal penitentiary at Beaumont. Of course, they only took ~$20 million. I'm thinking $700 million might be enough to stash considerably more money offshore and find a nice home with no extradition.
Yeah but how can you tell at a glance which junk a raccoon is packing? Also, gay raccoons? - Hugh Akston
Nothing you can say is as important as the existence of a functioning marketplace of ideas, go set yourself on fire. - JasonL

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Mar 2018, 16:46

tr0g wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 16:39
I knew some guys who got busted for securities fraud. They had gone into it thinking that they would get a couple years at Club Fed if things went south. The attitude was "I can do two years in Club Fed if I have a couple million stashed offshore". When it all came crashing down, the guy I knew got 25 years. As far as I know he's still in the federal penitentiary at Beaumont. Of course, they only took ~$20 million. I'm thinking $700 million might be enough to stash considerably more money offshore and find a nice home with no extradition.
Sounds like Holmes is getting off pretty easy. I scrolled further down in the article I Linked to and found this:
Holmes, 34, who once graced the cover of countless magazines and was worth billions on paper, has already settled the charges against her.

She will pay a $500,000 penalty, be barred from serving as an officer or director of a public company for 10 years, and return 18.9 million shares she amassed during the alleged fraud.

Holmes also cedes her voting control of the company she founded in 2003 at the age of 19 after dropping out of Stanford University in order to pursue her start-up.

Theranos and Holmes neither admitted nor denied the allegations in the SEC's complaint and the settlements are subject to court approval.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2018, 17:04

But...but...one of my kool-aid drinking colleagues thought Theranos was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO progressive and enlightened!!!!!!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-maria ... 97094.html
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Mar 2018, 17:57

At least now she can go back and get that degree!

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 14 Mar 2018, 19:18

thoreau wrote:
14 Mar 2018, 17:04
But...but...one of my kool-aid drinking colleagues thought Theranos was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO progressive and enlightened!!!!!!

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-maria ... 97094.html
Oooooh that's some good stuff.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Mar 2018, 19:26

But she gave TED Talks! And she wears turtlenecks! And talks about Women In STEMTM! And talks about Disruption! I mean, for fuck's sake, people, she uses buzzwords! BUZZWORDS!

And now you want me to believe it was all a sham? No, that's impossible. The people with the power to hire and fire in my setting all eat this shit up. So it must be sound.
"ike Wile E. Coyote salivating over a "4000 Ways To Prepare Roadrunner" cookbook without watching his surroundings, the Road Runner of Societal Inertia snuck up on them both and beepbeeped them off the mesa."
--Shem

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Mar 2018, 19:29

I still haven't figured out if she was knowingly and deliberately lying, or if she was sincerely deluded and thought she really had discovered something wonderful.

Shem

Post by Shem » 14 Mar 2018, 19:47

Usually it starts as the former and eventually becomes the latter.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Mar 2018, 20:00

I think it started as the latter, got in over her head and turned into the former.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

Highway

Post by Highway » 14 Mar 2018, 20:19

Yeah, everyone starts with what they think is a great idea. Most people stop when it doesn't work, not go on to con millions of of dollars out of other people.
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 15 Mar 2018, 10:05

The moment you start writing checks to test with other technology you are in knowingly and deliberately lying land. Who knows what was going on before then.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 15 Mar 2018, 12:20

It sounds a lot like embezzlers who justify their actions with the promise they'll pay it all back so it's NBD really since no one will notice.

Holmes also strikes me as someone who primarily wants to be "somebody" without actually wanting to do the work that gets you there.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 15 Mar 2018, 15:41

Regarding the whole "is she lying, or deluded?" thing -- assuming a sincere delusion, I'd very much like to know what "false positives" fed her delusion in the first place. Like, sometimes you'll see (otherwise sane, otherwise not-stupid) people who will claim to have a touch of magic psychic ability, and I can kinda-sorta understand how they think this, because everyone experiences the occasional coincidental "false positive" -- like, you think about your friend So-And-So, then your phone rings and it's her... "Hey!" you exclaim when you answer the phone, "I was just thinking of you!" Or, you remember that one childhood classmate you haven't seen since middle school, then that very night you get a Facebook friend request from him.

We all have a few "amazing coincidental timing" stories like that. (Every year since 2014, anytime I put up or take down our Christmas ornaments, I remain actively amazed by the coincidentally flawless timing of that flea-market visit where I was able to replace a certain broken antique "collectible" for practically nothing.) So, regarding your own collection of such amazing-coincidence stories, if you are sincerely committed to the idea "I really do have psychic powers -- even if they only work SOME of the time, and I can't exactly control when they do," it's very easy to collect such anecdotes as "evidence" -- especially if you focus on those handful of amazing-timing incidents, and forget the thousands upon thousands of other times you thought of various friends who did NOT call or send you a Facebook friend request (or all the times I visited flea markets or thrift stores and walked away with nothing, as opposed to making a "Holy shit I don't believe it!!!" type of score).

But I don't know enough about medical testing and technology in general to imagine similar "false positives" Holmes might have stumbled upon, to support a delusional belief that she apparently-- what, figured out how to do certain medical blood tests with only a tiny fraction of the blood sample size required by currently existing medical technology? I don't know enough to imagine a plausible false-positive coincidence there.

Shem

Post by Shem » 15 Mar 2018, 20:54

She's always had "is perfectly willing to get high on her own supply" written across her forehead to me. I just didn't realize her supply was "wholly made-up bullshit" rather than "paring knife someone is trying to sell as an multi-tool." That's why I think it was delusion all along, rather than crime.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

Mo

Post by Mo » 19 Apr 2018, 15:46

Zing.

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 19 Apr 2018, 15:54

Theranos still exists?
--Shem

Highway

Post by Highway » 19 Apr 2018, 17:07

And man do they suck at Carreyou Invaders...
"Sharks do not go around challenging people to games of chance like dojo breakers."

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 10 May 2018, 16:34

Deleted post, since I mistakenly thought a months-old news story was new.

Painboy

Post by Painboy » 25 May 2018, 16:07

They so need to make this into a movie.

https://www.wired.com/story/a-new-look- ... e-culture/
He met with COO Sunny Balwani first and then with Holmes. There was something about Balwani that he found vaguely creepy, but that impression was more than offset by Holmes, who came off as very earnest in her determination to transform health care. Like many people who met her for the first time, Beam was taken aback by her deep voice. It was unlike anything he’d heard before.
I keep hearing this about her voice. Did she have Bene Gesserit training or something?
The biggest problem of all was the dysfunctional corporate culture in which it was being developed. Holmes and Balwani regarded anyone who raised a concern or an objection as a cynic and a nay-sayer. Employees who persisted in doing so were usually marginalized or fired, while sycophants were promoted.
Employees were Balwani’s minions. He expected them to be at his disposal at all hours of the day or night and on weekends. He checked the security logs every morning to see when they badged in and out. Every evening, around 7:30, he made a flyby of the engineering department to make sure people were still at their desks working.
While Holmes was fast to catch on to engineering concepts, Balwani was often out of his depth during engineering discussions. To hide it, he had a habit of repeating technical terms he heard others using. During a meeting with Khannah’s team, he latched onto the term “end effector,” which signifies the claws at the end of a robotic arm. Except Balwani didn’t hear “end effector,” he heard “endofactor.” For the rest of the meeting, he kept referring to the fictional endofactors. At their next meeting with Balwani two weeks later, Khannah’s team brought a PowerPoint presentation titled “Endofactors Update.” As Khannah flashed it on a screen with a projector, the five members of his team stole furtive glances at one another, nervous that Balwani might become wise to the prank. But he didn’t bat an eye and the meeting proceeded without incident. After he left the room, they burst out laughing.
I know a job's a job but how can you keep working for someone like that?

Fin Fang Foom

Post by Fin Fang Foom » 15 Jun 2018, 20:10

Wire Fraud!