DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18830
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Aug 2019, 23:14

But what about my Gary U.S. Bonds record collection?

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7882
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Aug 2019, 23:37

JasonL wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 22:43
Pham Nuwen wrote:"You're an inverted fucking bond yield!" sounds like an amazing insult. Need Mo and JasonL to confirm though.
Uh. No, not really. Seems like it would work in a yo mamma format, but it isn’t very dank these days. See historical yield and time horizon relationships (longer bonds pay more than shorter bonds, which gets flipped in an inverted yield curve) are distorted by the large global demand for US treasuries- so instead of oh no recession worries pushing down the rates for long bonds, it’s just supply and demand - US debt doesn’t have to pay much to attract investors.

So yo momma is curved like inverted yield may suggest she’s in demand or may suggest she’s not long term desirable depending on who you ask.
I don't know how you made that sound boring but you did. Bravo I guess. :(
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by lunchstealer » 15 Aug 2019, 03:04

JasonL wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 22:43
Pham Nuwen wrote:"You're an inverted fucking bond yield!" sounds like an amazing insult. Need Mo and JasonL to confirm though.
Uh. No, not really. Seems like it would work in a yo mamma format, but it isn’t very dank these days. See historical yield and time horizon relationships (longer bonds pay more than shorter bonds, which gets flipped in an inverted yield curve) are distorted by the large global demand for US treasuries- so instead of oh no recession worries pushing down the rates for long bonds, it’s just supply and demand - US debt doesn’t have to pay much to attract investors.

So yo momma is curved like inverted yield may suggest she’s in demand or may suggest she’s not long term desirable depending on who you ask.
But there's still a lot of volume in your mom.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24678
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2019, 07:10

Warren wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 18:05
Mo wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 16:28
What’s crazy is the 2 year usually inverts before the 3 month. The other way around has never happened before.
I did not know that.

I think we uninverted intraday. So it's not the strong "recession next year" signal everyone thought. Even so, the inversion is a symptom not the cause, and all the stuff that flattened the curve to begin with is still there.
The 3-10 is still inverted and the 3-10 is the more meaningful spread.
NY Fed wrote:The best maturity combination may be three months and ten years. Other choices lead to results that are highly correlated with our own, but whatever combination is selected should be used consistently in both analysis and prediction.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2019, 09:10

Mo wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 07:10
The 3-10 is still inverted and the 3-10 is the more meaningful spread.
NY Fed wrote:The best maturity combination may be three months and ten years. Other choices lead to results that are highly correlated with our own, but whatever combination is selected should be used consistently in both analysis and prediction.
The three-month rate is best represented by the secondary market rate, expressed on a bond-equivalent basis to match the ten-year rate.
I don't know what this means. Can you explain?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24678
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Mo » 15 Aug 2019, 10:32

Basically, the best way to look at the 3 month rate is to see what the yield on bonds maturing in 3 months on the open market are rather than what the rate is for new 3-month bonds.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 15 Aug 2019, 10:44

Mo wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 10:32
Basically, the best way to look at the 3 month rate is to see what the yield on bonds maturing in 3 months on the open market are rather than what the rate is for new 3-month bonds.
Huh. What accounts for the spread? Is there a difference between buying a 10yr that matures in 3 months over buying a 3 month bond?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24678
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Mo » 06 Sep 2019, 15:46

It’s just one jobs report, but a full 20% of the new jobs in the jobs report are temporary census workers. Also, on the heels of the contraction of the manufacturing report, not looking good.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7882
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 06 Sep 2019, 20:07

I'm just going to say it. We need a recession! Asset prices are ridiculous! But it needs to wait til the second week of December now. Mo. I know you are part of the secret cabal that controls the world economy. You know what I mean. Just convince everyone in the volcano lair to wait til the second week of December.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 06 Sep 2019, 20:51

Pham Nuwen wrote:
06 Sep 2019, 20:07
I'm just going to say it. We need a recession! Asset prices are ridiculous! But it needs to wait til the second week of December now. Mo. I know you are part of the secret cabal that controls the world economy. You know what I mean. Just convince everyone in the volcano lair to wait til the second week of December.
You think Mo is an Elder of Zion?
Best disguise ever!
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
dead_elvis
Posts: 1263
Joined: 01 May 2010, 15:26

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by dead_elvis » 08 Sep 2019, 13:20

Perfect ad slogan for DOOOOM:

cs6zgsqusaaxzok.jpg
cs6zgsqusaaxzok.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 126 times
"Never forget: a war on undocumented immigrants by necessity is a war on all of our freedoms of association and movement."

User avatar
Andrew
Posts: 6683
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 21:52
Location: Vale of Eternal Fire

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Andrew » 08 Sep 2019, 15:35

dead_elvis wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 13:20
THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED
That should be the tagline for the new Terminator movie. And a bumper sticker on my truck.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 08 Sep 2019, 16:35

Andrew wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 15:35
dead_elvis wrote:
08 Sep 2019, 13:20
THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED
That should be the tagline for the new Terminator movie. And a bumper sticker on my truck.
I was thinking it will be the slogan of the populist wave Shem rides into power on.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Shem
Posts: 7675
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 00:27

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Shem » 08 Sep 2019, 20:36

Can't rise from the ashes until everything is burned to the ground.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Sep 2019, 05:09

Shem wrote:Can't rise from the ashes until everything is burned to the ground.
This will be the bumper sticker on my truck.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 26974
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 10 Sep 2019, 09:38

lunchstealer wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 05:09
Shem wrote:Can't rise from the ashes until everything is burned to the ground.
This will be the bumper sticker on my truck.
With a decal of Calvin dousing the flames on a combusting American Flag.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 17406
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by lunchstealer » 10 Sep 2019, 18:56

Warren wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 09:38
lunchstealer wrote:
10 Sep 2019, 05:09
Shem wrote:Can't rise from the ashes until everything is burned to the ground.
This will be the bumper sticker on my truck.
With a decal of Calvin dousing the flames on a combusting American Flag.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests