DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

nicole

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by nicole » 13 Apr 2019, 22:42

Mo wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 19:29
MBD is the right’s answer to Liz Breunig
Accurate.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 13 Apr 2019, 23:14

nicole wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:09
Not a fan of current dress standards generally but it’s not like I have to keep to them
Not sure what they're talking about there, aside from "men wore suits all the time, even if they were stained with puke and drool from their having slept rough in a back alley for the last decade". Aside from all the people who only had a set or two of overalls and maybe a Sunday outfit.
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Apr 2019, 23:29

Eric the .5b wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 23:14
nicole wrote:
Not a fan of current dress standards generally but it’s not like I have to keep to them
Not sure what they're talking about there, aside from "men wore suits all the time, even if they were stained with puke and drool from their having slept rough in a back alley for the last decade". Aside from all the people who only had a set or two of overalls and maybe a Sunday outfit.
I'm happy not having to wear suits to work any longer, but I do have a sort of faux-nostalgia for the dress 'code' of pre-60s America and Europe. That said, I'm well aware that clothing no longer carries the social significance and signaling value it once did and that this is a good thing. Also, I recall that my father's suits were made of much heavier material, even the "lighter" weight supposedly Summer-wear suits, probably because they were major investments and were expected to last for years.

But, yes, purely on aesthetic grounds, I would be happier to live in a better dressed society in that particular sense -- and let's not forget men wearing proper hats out in public! -- and I would like to delude myself into believing that a better dressed society would be a more civil society, as well. I have absolutely no evidence for this belief, but that doesn't affect my wanting to believe it.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Apr 2019, 00:15

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:11
I am not trying to be glib when I point out that most elite college-educated women in their early twenties today live lives that would not seem very different from a prostitute’s to people in the era you are disparaging.
Especially the part about leaving money on the dresser or paying their pimp in advance.

(Bonus snark: "If all the girls who attended [the Yale prom] were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised." -- Dorothy Parker)
Wait, if most of the attractive, educated 20something women I see are hoors, I want to know the price.
We live in the fucked age. Get used to it. - dhex

The sun only shines when a woman is being sexually abused. - Warren

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Apr 2019, 00:59

Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
They specifically call out yoga pants and leggings.

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

Hugh Akston

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Apr 2019, 01:18

So again I'm not clear what the problem is. Are they opposed to clothes that are affordable, functional, comfortable, and stylish?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Apr 2019, 01:21

Hugh Akston wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 01:18
So again I'm not clear what the problem is. Are they opposed to clothes that are affordable, functional, comfortable, and stylish?
Fashionable, maybe. Stylish? Not so much.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Apr 2019, 02:04

nicole wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 00:59
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
OFFS.

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Apr 2019, 07:25

Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 02:04
nicole wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
OFFS.
This one

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Apr 2019, 07:49

Andrew wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 00:15
D.A. Ridgely wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:11
I am not trying to be glib when I point out that most elite college-educated women in their early twenties today live lives that would not seem very different from a prostitute’s to people in the era you are disparaging.
Especially the part about leaving money on the dresser or paying their pimp in advance.

(Bonus snark: "If all the girls who attended [the Yale prom] were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised." -- Dorothy Parker)
Wait, if most of the attractive, educated 20something women I see are hoors, I want to know the price.
According to the thread, the price is your ability to buy a house and have children.

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Apr 2019, 08:20

nicole wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 07:49
According to the thread, the price is your ability to buy a house and have children.
The worst kind of traditionalism!

Dangerman

Post by Dangerman » 14 Apr 2019, 08:24

I say! Jake, this is a Gathered Board and you won't make many Friends by posting that Popish Cavalier-fashion propaganda hier!

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Apr 2019, 10:08

HATS!
It's about hats. Specifically, being able to rock a fedora unironically.
It's dumb out there kids, keep your heads down. - JasonL

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Apr 2019, 10:54

nicole wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 07:25
Eric the .5b wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 02:04
nicole wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
OFFS.
This one

So, yoga pants demotivate sex.

This is very much like that womens'-asses-are-making-men-gay thing.

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Apr 2019, 12:23

I feel like if I walked around naked in front of him he would appreciate that yoga pants DO leave something to the imagination, but whatever.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

nicole

Post by nicole » 14 Apr 2019, 12:46

Ellie wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 12:23
I feel like if I walked around naked in front of him he would appreciate that yoga pants DO leave something to the imagination, but whatever.
Yeahhh

Andrew

Post by Andrew » 14 Apr 2019, 13:37

Ellie wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 12:23
Based on some brands I've seen in yoga, it's very, very little for some kinds.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Apr 2019, 14:24

As I once observed, Nothing says 'pinnacle of civilization' like JUICY on a five year old's ass.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Apr 2019, 17:26

nicole wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
The two best things about modern dress codes. The problem is people wearing pajamas in public. If they’re not me because damn it’s ugly and damn it’s comfy.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Apr 2019, 17:33

lunchstealer wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 17:26
nicole wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
The two best things about modern dress codes. The problem is people wearing pajamas in public. If they’re not me because damn it’s ugly and damn it’s comfy.
The absolute best professional dress code is for office workers in medical buildings. They get to wear scrubs and soft soled slippers, work in a clean, well lit, cubicle and walk on carpet. I mean. Damn.

lunchstealer

Post by lunchstealer » 14 Apr 2019, 17:43

Warren wrote:
lunchstealer wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 17:26
nicole wrote:
Eric the .5b wrote:
nicole wrote:
The absolute best professional dress code is for office workers in medical buildings. They get to wear scrubs and soft soled slippers, work in a clean, well lit, cubicle and walk on carpet. I mean. Damn.
I have absolutely no problem with people wearing scrubs in public. At first I thought it was pretentious but fuck that.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

Ellie

Post by Ellie » 14 Apr 2019, 17:44

When I was visiting Li'l Ringo in the NICU I got serious lust to acquire after seeing all the nurses' Dansko shoes. They are way out of my price range to buy just for looks, but there are some really pretty ones.
"2019 has got to stop injecting dmt straight in the dick hole." - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Apr 2019, 17:49

Scrubs are incredibly comfy. Can confirm.

Also it's really stupid since the entire point of scrubs in house is to limit exposure to outside microbes.

Also also. I've worn scrubs outside the hospital after working.

Also also also I've used my personal scrubs that I never use at work anymore for everything from gym to pajamas. They are really fuckimg comfy.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Apr 2019, 17:51

Ellie wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 17:44
When I was visiting Li'l Ringo in the NICU I got serious lust to acquire after seeing all the nurses' Dansko shoes. They are way out of my price range to buy just for looks, but there are some really pretty ones.
Danskos are totally worth. Like totally.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

D.A. Ridgely

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 14 Apr 2019, 18:14

The world was a better place (sartorially) when everyone I wanted to know was wearing a suit or a dress and everyone else had their first name embroidered on their shirt pockets.