DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 09:45

nicole wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 08:32
I’ve now ended up at various offshoots of this original twitter thread multiple times and every time I get sucked in, these people’s insanity is my fetish. Take this gem:


Also the fact that lots of Americans, including the most influential, can now go their entire lives without knowing anyone who believes in God.

All this in addition to the increased costs of basics (housing, education, health care) that @michaelbd talks about in that thread.
Man, I love it when people describe my fantasy world as if it were real.

In addition to MBD, McMegan, and Tom Nichols, Will Wilkinson was involved, and let me tell you, my opinion of him has dropped lately (not just over this thread).
I'm assuming obscene sexual images & language everywhere and total collapse of standards of dress are also part of your fantasy world.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7474
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Apr 2019, 10:17

You suggesting that obscene sexual images aren't in everyone's fantasy world? Because they are. Whether they admit it or not. It's there.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 10:21

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:17
You suggesting that obscene sexual images aren't in everyone's fantasy world? Because they are. Whether they admit it or not. It's there.
Well yes, but there is a substantial faction that believes it should remain fantasy and not be manifest in reality.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7474
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Apr 2019, 10:47

Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:21
Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:17
You suggesting that obscene sexual images aren't in everyone's fantasy world? Because they are. Whether they admit it or not. It's there.
Well yes, but there is a substantial faction that believes it should remain fantasy and not be manifest in reality.
That doesn't sound like fun.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Aresen
Posts: 15541
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 20:18
Location: Great White Pacific Northwest

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Aresen » 13 Apr 2019, 10:55

Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:21
Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:17
You suggesting that obscene sexual images aren't in everyone's fantasy world? Because they are. Whether they admit it or not. It's there.
Well yes, but there is a substantial faction that believes it should remain fantasy and not be manifest in reality.
Unless, of course, you are a pastor or priest.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 10:56

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:47
Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:21
Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 10:17
You suggesting that obscene sexual images aren't in everyone's fantasy world? Because they are. Whether they admit it or not. It's there.
Well yes, but there is a substantial faction that believes it should remain fantasy and not be manifest in reality.
That doesn't sound like fun.
It isn't. That's the point. Some people think fun is wrong and lie awake at night fretting that other people are having some.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
nicole
Posts: 9516
Joined: 12 Jan 2013, 16:28

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by nicole » 13 Apr 2019, 11:09

Not a fan of current dress standards generally but it’s not like I have to keep to them
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 12:11

nicole wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:09
Not a fan of current dress standards generally but it’s not like I have to keep to them
In all the pics I've seen of you, you rise above the standard.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7474
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Apr 2019, 13:21

Warren! Did you just get laid or something? You are incredibly on point today. What's up?
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 13:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:21
Warren! Did you just get laid or something? You are incredibly on point today. What's up?
It's not me, it's you. Did your kid learn to use a knife and fork or something?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Pham Nuwen
Posts: 7474
Joined: 27 Apr 2010, 02:17

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Pham Nuwen » 13 Apr 2019, 13:43

Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:30
Pham Nuwen wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:21
Warren! Did you just get laid or something? You are incredibly on point today. What's up?
It's not me, it's you. Did your kid learn to use a knife and fork or something?
Robbie had an accident and managed to short my phone out. Don't think it's me. Pretty sure it's you.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

User avatar
Hugh Akston
Posts: 17803
Joined: 05 May 2010, 15:51
Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora Reina de los Angeles

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Hugh Akston » 13 Apr 2019, 13:53

Could someone maybe hip me to the problem with current standards of dress? Was there a time when they were better?
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Inexplicably cockfighting monsters that live in your pants" ~Jadagul

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23752
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 13:56

Yes

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 14:08

Don't listen to JasonL Hugh. He thinks comic sans is some sort of crime.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
Painboy
Posts: 3969
Joined: 18 Feb 2013, 11:33
Location: Seattle

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Painboy » 13 Apr 2019, 14:24

Warren wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 14:08
Don't listen to JasonL Hugh. He thinks comic sans is some sort of crime.
You're not helping your case.

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24193
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Mo » 13 Apr 2019, 14:45

Wait, how can someone go through life in America without meeting someone who believes in God?
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12084
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Ellie » 13 Apr 2019, 15:04

JasonL wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 09:27
"The National Association of Home Builders reports that the average home size in America was 983 square feet in 1950, 1,500 square feet in 1970, and 2,349 square feet in 2004. This trend continued in the first half of the 2000s, after which it began to decline somewhat."
I don't disagree with that, but in St. Paul at least there are lots of homes built in the early 1900s that are 1,500+ square feet. Is it just that there were also lots of 600 sq ft ones that have since been torn down?
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23752
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 15:09

It’s averages of the total home stock, so newer construction is almost all bigger but at the national level.

User avatar
Ellie
Posts: 12084
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 18:34

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Ellie » 13 Apr 2019, 15:33

Sorry, I am being confusing, I think! I mean that going back to 1950 in St. Paul, there were obviously a lot of houses that were 1,500 square feet (built around the turn of the century and still standing today). I'm just wondering where the little houses were, the ones that would have been required to bring the average down to 983 square feet. And how small they were, and what they looked like, and what got built in their place if they were all torn down between 1950 and today.

I just like thinking about tiny houses I guess :lol:
"He's just an idiot elected by idiots." - Pham

User avatar
JasonL
Posts: 23752
Joined: 05 May 2010, 17:22

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by JasonL » 13 Apr 2019, 15:48

Oh not sure. I’m finding city by city comparisons in 1950 ungoogleable.

User avatar
Warren
Posts: 25993
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:03
Location: Goat Rope MO
Contact:

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren » 13 Apr 2019, 16:25

No data to back it up, but in the decades I've been living and associating with people in the suburbs, people use to build/buy small houses on larger lots and then put on additions. For reasons I assume have to do with the changing regulatory environment, new suburban developments carve up the acreage into small lots that are completely filled with McMansions.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

User avatar
lunchstealer
Posts: 16919
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:25
Location: The Local Fluff in the Local Bubble

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by lunchstealer » 13 Apr 2019, 17:20

In Denver I can tell you exactly where those neighborhoods were/are. And yes many were added to over the years. A lot of the lot size thing may be relative to the fact that land is now a scarcer resource than building materials and labor. Add to that that roads are more costly due to various codes and the aforementioned value of land, so developers now want to squeeze as many customers into their developments as they can.

I also assume that apartments factor into the average home size, and apartment buildings might be redeveloped at a faster rate than single family homes. And percent home ownership was lower so apartments were likely more of the housing stock.
"The constitution is more of a BDSM agreement with a safe word." - Sandy

"Neoliberalism. Austerity. Booga booga!!!!" - JasonL

"We can't confirm rumors that Lynndie England is in the running to be Gina Haspel's personal aide." - DAR

User avatar
Mo
Posts: 24193
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:08

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Mo » 13 Apr 2019, 19:29

nicole wrote:I’ve now ended up at various offshoots of this original twitter thread multiple times and every time I get sucked in, these people’s insanity is my fetish. Take this gem:


Also the fact that lots of Americans, including the most influential, can now go their entire lives without knowing anyone who believes in God.

All this in addition to the increased costs of basics (housing, education, health care) that @michaelbd talks about in that thread.
Man, I love it when people describe my fantasy world as if it were real.

In addition to MBD, McMegan, and Tom Nichols, Will Wilkinson was involved, and let me tell you, my opinion of him has dropped lately (not just over this thread).
MBD is the right’s answer to Liz Breunig
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

User avatar
D.A. Ridgely
Posts: 18424
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 17:09
Location: The Other Side

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by D.A. Ridgely » 13 Apr 2019, 20:11

I am not trying to be glib when I point out that most elite college-educated women in their early twenties today live lives that would not seem very different from a prostitute’s to people in the era you are disparaging.
Especially the part about leaving money on the dresser or paying their pimp in advance.

(Bonus snark: "If all the girls who attended [the Yale prom] were laid end to end, I wouldn't be a bit surprised." -- Dorothy Parker)

User avatar
Jake
Posts: 2676
Joined: 26 Apr 2010, 18:38

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Jake » 13 Apr 2019, 20:58

Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:53
Could someone maybe hip me to the problem with current standards of dress? Was there a time when they were better?
JasonL wrote: Yes
I agree with JasonL, and I offer proof, in the form of a particolor puff-and-slash codpiece:
Image
Q.E.D.
"Facebook is like a locker room with all the players screaming at each other how much they have to win and then forgetting they have to take the field and actually play the gawddamn game." -- D.A. Ridgely

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests