DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Warren

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Warren »

Jadagul wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:37 Get a decent savings account.

A high-interest savings account these days will pay like 1.5-2%, which would put the number at about $2k.

(I still need to move my cash to a better account, but I'm kind of waiting for the move to finish and all that cash to settle out.)
I'm getting 4.5% on my BitCoin account.
Nobody, men included, wants a world where men treat women with the same respect they show to other men. - thoreau
nicole

Post by nicole »

A high-interest savings account these days will pay like 1.5-2%, which would put the number at about $2k.

(I still need to move my cash to a better account, but I'm kind of waiting for the move to finish and all that cash to settle out.)
Is this true? Cursory shopping suggests the best rates are more like 1% right now.
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

nicole wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:44

Is this true? Cursory shopping suggests the best rates are more like 1% right now.
ING seems to be 1.65, but it looks like you're right, most of the rates are somewhat lower than when I did shopping earlier this year. Which makes sense.

But that's more of a "pandemic" thing than a "long-term trend" thing, I suspect.
JasonL

Post by JasonL »

Er ... savings accounts as things you bother doing rule of 72 on? Um, that's not really what ...

This is not financial advice.
Jadagul

Post by Jadagul »

JasonL wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 14:18 Er ... savings accounts as things you bother doing rule of 72 on? Um, that's not really what ...

This is not financial advice.
While that's entirely fair, I should still probably have my cash in the account that pays 1% rather than the account that pays .05%.
nicole

Post by nicole »

Jadagul wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:52
nicole wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 13:44

ING seems to be 1.65, but it looks like you're right, most of the rates are somewhat lower than when I did shopping earlier this year. Which makes sense.

But that's more of a "pandemic" thing than a "long-term trend" thing, I suspect.
I mean, I remember the pre-2008 days when I had a savings account with a rate of 5%, so...
"Fucking qualia." -Hugh Akston

"Sliced bagels aren't why trump won; it's why it doesn't matter who wins." -dhex
Shem

Post by Shem »

Which is usually going to require either a five-figure initial deposit or a special circumstance that so rare as to be pointless to talk about. The best a quick Google was able to turn up was 1.0% for an initial deposit of $10,000 or more, with everyone lower getting "up to" that amount.
"VOTE SHEMOCRACY! You will only have to do it once!" -Loyalty Officer Aresen