DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Hugh Akston
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DOOM! (Insert extra Os as you see fit)

Post by Hugh Akston » 14 Apr 2019, 22:20

D.A. Ridgely wrote:
14 Apr 2019, 18:14
The world was a better place (sartorially) when everyone I wanted to know was wearing a suit or a dress and everyone else had their first name embroidered on their shirt pockets.
They'd need the monogram wouldn't they? With everyone dressed the same there would be no other way to tell them apart.
"Is a Lulztopia the best we can hope for?!?" ~Taktix®
"Somali pirates are beholden to their hostages in a way that the USG is not." ~Dangerman

Kolohe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Post by Kolohe » 15 Apr 2019, 04:37

Jake wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 20:58
Hugh Akston wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:53
Could someone maybe hip me to the problem with current standards of dress? Was there a time when they were better?
JasonL wrote: Yes
I agree with JasonL, and I offer proof, in the form of a particolor puff-and-slash codpiece:
Q.E.D.
This man has an obvious drinking problem though.

(Yet probably easily fixed if he were just to pay attention to the task at hand)
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Jun 2019, 21:01

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/u-s-already ... -1.1273419

I'm not sure how serious I should take this.
Goddamn libertarian message board. Hugh Akston

leave me to my mescaline smoothie in peace, please. dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 16 Jun 2019, 22:18

Pham Nuwen wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 21:01

Unemployment under 4%, S&P at or near all time high, not like any recession I can recall.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 16 Jun 2019, 22:49

Warren wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 22:18
Pham Nuwen wrote:

Unemployment under 4%, S&P at or near all time high, not like any recession I can recall.
That's why I was confused. I thought it was two straight quarters at least of negative growth. Is he just not using the normal definition?

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jun 2019, 17:50

Pham Nuwen wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 22:49
Warren wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 22:18
Pham Nuwen wrote:

That's why I was confused. I thought it was two straight quarters at least of negative growth. Is he just not using the normal definition?
I looked it up after your post (because I thought the same thing), and in fact the NBER says
The NBER does not define a recession in terms of two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP. Rather, a recession is a significant decline in economic activity spread across the economy, lasting more than a few months, normally visible in real GDP, real income, employment, industrial production, and wholesale-retail sales.
which is what home boy says in his Bloomberg post. But still, I could see the case for calling 'top of the business cycle' but I can't see already calling recession with the leading economic indicators we have now. (specifically, while the last jobs report 'missed' it was still net jobs created.
when you wake up as the queen of the n=1 kingdom and mount your steed non sequiturius, do you look out upon all you survey and think “damn, it feels good to be a green idea sleeping furiously?" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 17 Jun 2019, 17:51

I mean, eventually if you say 'Now We Are in a Recession' you're going to be right.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 17 Jun 2019, 19:13

Kolohe wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:51
I mean, eventually if you say 'Now We Are in a Recession' you're going to be right.
You're so right. I predicted the last 2 recessions at least 20 times. Feels good.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 17 Jun 2019, 19:30

Pham Nuwen wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 19:13
Kolohe wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:51
You're so right. I predicted the last 2 recessions at least 20 times. Feels good.
I'm still waiting for the recession I predicted in 2012.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Aug 2019, 15:17

Jfc, I'm out of the country for two days and everything goes to crap.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Aug 2019, 16:11

To busy dining with the Saudis and Russians? That's on you.

Kolohe

Post by Kolohe » 05 Aug 2019, 21:45

Actually, I'm in Canada.

But Aresen is in America.

So I think I figured out why everything's getting flipped upside down.

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 05 Aug 2019, 22:16

That's smart. Neutral ground.

Aresen

Post by Aresen » 06 Aug 2019, 14:19

Kolohe wrote:
05 Aug 2019, 21:45
Actually, I'm in Canada.

But Aresen is in America.
Actually, at the exact moment you posted that, I was back in Canada waiting to see if Canada Customs would believe my lies accept my customs declaration.
If Trump supporters wanted a tough guy, why did they elect such a whiny bitch? - Mo

Those who know history are doomed to deja vu. - the innominate one

Never bring a knife to a joke fight" - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2019, 12:21

Dow plunges 650 points after bond market flashes a recession warning
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2019, 13:23

Warren wrote:Dow plunges 650 points after bond market flashes a recession warning
The yield curve has been inverted since the end of q1.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2019, 14:17

Mo wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 13:23
Warren wrote:Dow plunges 650 points after bond market flashes a recession warning
The yield curve has been inverted since the end of q1.
They're looking at 10s minus 2s
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Mo

Post by Mo » 14 Aug 2019, 16:28

What’s crazy is the 2 year usually inverts before the 3 month. The other way around has never happened before.
his voice is so soothing, but why do conspiracy nuts always sound like Batman and Robin solving one of Riddler's puzzles out loud? - fod

no one ever yells worldstar when a pet gets fucked up - dhex

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2019, 18:05

Mo wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 16:28
What’s crazy is the 2 year usually inverts before the 3 month. The other way around has never happened before.
I did not know that.

I think we uninverted intraday. So it's not the strong "recession next year" signal everyone thought. Even so, the inversion is a symptom not the cause, and all the stuff that flattened the curve to begin with is still there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 14 Aug 2019, 18:13

Given that Trump has (at least temporarily) backed down from his Chinese-tariff threat, has there been any sign that China will reverse its new ban on buying US agricultural products? If Chinese buyers remain off-limits to American food sellers, I suspect it'll take longer than my likely remaining lifespan for the US economy to recover from THAT setback.
"Myself, despite what they say about libertarians, I think we're actually allowed to pursue options beyond futility or sucking the dicks of the powerful." -- Eric the .5b

Pham Nuwen

Post by Pham Nuwen » 14 Aug 2019, 22:06

"You're an inverted fucking bond yield!" sounds like an amazing insult. Need Mo and JasonL to confirm though.

Eric the .5b

Post by Eric the .5b » 14 Aug 2019, 22:09

Is it time to crack each others' heads open and feast on the goo inside?
"Better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."
Cet animal est très méchant / Quand on l'attaque il se défend.

Warren

Post by Warren » 14 Aug 2019, 22:09

Soon
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

thoreau

Post by thoreau » 14 Aug 2019, 22:38

Meanwhile, WeWork is going public, and arguing that even though they lose money they should get a better valuation than their biggest rival (which actually makes a profit).

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/8/14/20 ... -valuation

Apparently their argument is that they are a tech company. They call their number crunchers "data scientists" instead of "statisticians", so they should be valued like a tech company powered by ego and unicorn farts.
"They were basically like D&D min maxers, but instead of pissing off their DM, they destroyed the global economy. Also, instead of their DM making a level 7 paladin fight a beholder as punishment, he got a +3 sword of turning."
--Mo

JasonL

Post by JasonL » 14 Aug 2019, 22:43

Pham Nuwen wrote:"You're an inverted fucking bond yield!" sounds like an amazing insult. Need Mo and JasonL to confirm though.
Uh. No, not really. Seems like it would work in a yo mamma format, but it isn’t very dank these days. See historical yield and time horizon relationships (longer bonds pay more than shorter bonds, which gets flipped in an inverted yield curve) are distorted by the large global demand for US treasuries- so instead of oh no recession worries pushing down the rates for long bonds, it’s just supply and demand - US debt doesn’t have to pay much to attract investors.

So yo momma is curved like inverted yield may suggest she’s in demand or may suggest she’s not long term desirable depending on who you ask.